Author Topic: New car, new wheels, question for the masses  (Read 3291 times)

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
New car, new wheels, question for the masses
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »
Hello all:

Wife went out on Mothers Day weekend and bought herself a new car.
( Happy Mothers day, pressure is off us. )
Anyway, she bought some fancy schmancy wheels with the car, and they will be installed tomorrow or this weekend.  I noticed on the window sticker, that she was charged $700 for the wheels that are on the veh., and she paid alot more for the fancyschmancy wheels.
  I related that we get to keep the wheels that come off the new car ( I don't know wth I am going to do with them, but hey...), the dealer is now all sideways saying no, they keep the wheels.
  Looking over all the paper work, I see nothing that says they keep the OEM wheels, or that we were credited for them or anything along that line of thought.
  My feeling is they usually swap out the wheels prior to delivery, and resell the OEMs.
  Am I kinda right or out in right field ?

kjf

GC:  I will be changing the rear tire on my B1100 this weekend with.....(waitforit) another Shinko...( alltiressnobs say gasp!!!)
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New car, new wheels, question for the masses
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
A buddy of mine used to buy pickup "take-off" tires for dimes on the dollar.

The car dealer would sell them to tire dealer who would then resell them as take-offs.

He'd buy a dozen or so at a time and store them in his barn until his F150 needed a new set.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:43:31 AM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
if your document shows you paid $700. for them you must be the owner and the dealer has no grounds to keep them.. ask/demand a $700 refund.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
I don't know the legal answer but I'm with you in that it feels like you are getting ripped off. I know you have to keep the wife happy but I'd  probably tell them to forget the new rims you are buying and go somewhere elae and buy them. Id really, really want to tell them to keep the vehicle. There are other dealers out there.
North Carolina

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:09 AM »
A great big  :+1 to both of the above replies.

Offline power685

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
The $700 up charge on the window sticker is for an upgrade from the cars base wheels. How much was she charged for the wheels she bought ? What kind of car is it?

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
My sister had a similar situation many years ago on a new Honda Prelude. I went with her to dealer to see about the stock wheels and was told that the cost of the aftermarket wheels would have been more if she had said from the get go she wanted the take offs. I called bs but she didnt care that much and was caught up in new car euphoria so that was that.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Is it a FACTORY option and priced as an upgrade meaning you only get the one set?

OR is it a DEALER option, meaning you are paying for another set of wheels part what the factory equipped, then you should be getting both sets?

Go to the OEM website, to their "Build A Car" link for that model. If the wheels are listed there as a factory option (not dealer installed accessory) for about that price, then no you don't get the originals.

If they are listed as an accessory/dealer installed option or if they are NOT listed (which proves they are extra) you should get both.

Although $700 doesn't sound like much, I'd expect fancy accessory wheels to be more like $1-2k or more.

AND in theory I guess a dealer could claim they priced them as a dealer upgrade (meaning cheaper because they use the originals elsewhere).

Fwiw, the take offs should only be worth a fraction, maybe less than $500 at your retail. Unless you wanted two sets of wheels to run snow tires, then they potentially save you double that.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re:
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 03:06:15 PM »

Although $700 doesn't sound like much,
on a BMW forum...
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:05:30 PM »
on a BMW forum...
Nah, I think you spend more like $1k just upgrading the wheels on a Chevy truck from the OEM these days, Jeeps even more... Never mind anything "fancy".
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
whats the deal sheet say?

if its not in writing then the wheels are yours plus the fancy ones your paying for. now if they want to give you a credit for them ok. or tell them to stick the new wheels up their butt and you'll go somewhere else to buy them and give your money to the other dealer.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here