Author Topic: question for Cali EV owners  (Read 2821 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
question for Cali EV owners
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
..could you please send me or post a pic of the bike without the seat ?
I am curious to see what is hidden under the seat... cables , electronic things etc .

Thank you ,
M.

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: question for Cali EV owners
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
Not sure what you are asking for.  My 98EV looks like this with the stock computer location.

Regina's 98EV is more tidy with a smaller battery and the computer tucked down in the battery compartment.

The EV was released for several years and the view under the seat changes depending on the year.

Tell us exactly why you are asking.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
Patrick , thank you very much for the pics

I guess Rocker59 should combine my thread with  this one because we are asking the same question for two different model/year .

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76518.0

Basically i wanted to see how hard is to replace the seat to a 98 cali ev , the other member is asking same question but for a 96 cali .

I see a lot of pictures on line of ppl that did it on different cali/jackal models

please see this link as example .
http://forum.animaguzzista.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53332&start=40

thanks
Marco

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
Ah, thanks.  That clarifies a lot.  The stock 98EV is a disaster.  In order to clear the computer box, the seat has a 90 degree ridge molded into the pan frame.  After a long day of riding, the foam compressed and you are sitting right on top of that rigid ridge.  There are several solutions.

First, a guy named Rich Maund in Tenessee(?) used to modify the stock seat with more/stiffer foam so you wouldn't compress down to this ridge.  Unfortunately, this made the seat taller and was problematic for shorter riders.
Second, Corbin used to make a one-piece replacement seat that was more comfortable but made access to battery and tools more difficult.  And you needed a tool to remove the Corbin seat to get at the tools.  ??????
Third, by using a smaller battery and relocating the computer, other lower seats can be adapted.
Lastly, we chose to go the smaller battery route.  After relocating the computer, I cut away the nasty, offending 90 degree ridge, spliced in a flat piece of plastic, and had Bill Mayer of Ojai, CA make a custom padding and cover.  Brilliant.  Regina fits it just fine and easily does 600 mile days.
YMMV.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
Ah, thanks.  That clarifies a lot.  The stock 98EV is a disaster.  In order to clear the computer box, the seat has a 90 degree ridge molded into the pan frame.  After a long day of riding, the foam compressed and you are sitting right on top of that rigid ridge.  There are several solutions.

First, a guy named Rich Maund in Tenessee(?) used to modify the stock seat with more/stiffer foam so you wouldn't compress down to this ridge.  Unfortunately, this made the seat taller and was problematic for shorter riders.
Second, Corbin used to make a one-piece replacement seat that was more comfortable but made access to battery and tools more difficult.  And you needed a tool to remove the Corbin seat to get at the tools.  ??????
Third, by using a smaller battery and relocating the computer, other lower seats can be adapted.
Lastly, we chose to go the smaller battery route.  After relocating the computer, I cut away the nasty, offending 90 degree ridge, spliced in a flat piece of plastic, and had Bill Mayer of Ojai, CA make a custom padding and cover.  Brilliant.  Regina fits it just fine and easily does 600 mile days.
YMMV.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Soooo
No matter what , cali 96 97 or EV 98 99 , jackal , etc etc have similar problem trying to change seat , and the solution is : a smaller batter and junk/cut off the plastic thing ?

Is it difficult to replace the gas tank ? ( and probably junk the airbox ?)
thanks again.....

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:52:45 PM by arveno »

Offline johnlanguab

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
I'm interested too.

I've got a Corbin for my 98 EV that came from the previous owner, but I can't get the bolts on the backrest to line up. I'm not sure if I'm not doing something correctly or what.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:17:59 PM »
The seat thing is only for the P8 computer.  The 15M is tiny and lives elsewhere.  I'm twisted, so I think the solution is to toss the P8 in favor of the 15M.  You have to change out the efi wiring harness and computer.  All the other stuff looks like it plugs in.  Then you can have a flat bottom seat.

john-- does your seat have some loose brackets with it?  Iirc, the one I had had some heavy gauge angle brackets that do the line up.  It's been years, so I may be imagining it.

Offline johnlanguab

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
No brackets. I thought it had to line up with the backrest bolt holes, but it wasn't natural.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:07:30 PM »
If nobody can confirm or deny the brackets, call Corbin.  In the meantime I'll look through my picture files and see if I photographed it.  I do that sometimes.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here