Author Topic: Best Rider  (Read 1297 times)

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Re: Best Rider
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2023, 02:48:00 PM »
I'd like to eliminate the CANBUS based electronics and use a custom tunable ECU.  No TBW, no catalyst, no SAS, no ABS, no TC, simple tank vent hose, different instruments and so on.  Basically strip the bike to nothing and rebuild into a very different bike that looks the same.

My palms are sweating and my heart rate is up just reading that.  Fight or flight response I think.  Maybe think about getting a bicycle.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2023, 03:44:07 PM »
Maybe think about getting a bicycle.

As Fabio Taglioni of Ducati said circa 1985 in relation to the Japanese manufacturers “I build difficult bicycles, they build easy cars”

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2023, 04:52:37 PM »
As Fabio Taglioni of Ducati said circa 1985 in relation to the Japanese manufacturers “I build difficult bicycles, they build easy cars”

Well played.   :bow:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2023, 06:52:17 PM »
Depends if it’s a ‘modern’ motorcycle, in this case it’s what’s the best tool for getting me see and experience places, two up it’s what is the most comfortable motorcycle for my wife to ride on, has the best pilot seat, backrest, luggage capacity for her stuff, etc…..
For solo riding what’s the most comfortable and pleasant for me to ride, luggage capacity, range, weather protection are top on my list. The K1600GTL answered the first scenario but I have sold my trusty KLR 650 having owned several, but my off pavement days I think are done so my next solo bike may be the V100 with luggage.

For vintage my first requirement is it must be Italian, 70’s or earlier, have something unique in its engineering, appearance, history etc. my Eldorado is my go to all around bike but my Ducati 860 GT is the most fun to ride followed by the Moto Morini 500 for being so light and easy to ride.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2023, 06:52:17 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2023, 07:25:20 PM »
I'd like to eliminate the CANBUS based electronics and use a custom tunable ECU.  No TBW, no catalyst, no SAS, no ABS, no TC, simple tank vent hose, different instruments and so on.  Basically strip the bike to nothing and rebuild into a very different bike that looks the same.
Holy hell…!
Still fuel injected ?
Is your V85 relatively new, or acquired as a repairable write off at a bargain price ? A very bold move to tear into it as you intend, but absolute kudos to you. I’m quietly confident that you’ll achieve anything  you attempt… :bow: :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2023, 07:26:14 PM »
My palms are sweating and my heart rate is up just reading that.  Fight or flight response I think.  Maybe think about getting a bicycle.
I think you drastically underestimate him Sir…

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2023, 09:03:55 PM »
My V85TT is in fine shape but that means it’s an under $10K used production motorcycle, not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things and its ‘modern’ (meaning automotive inspired) ‘technology’ (meaning computer and network crapola) makes it less interesting to me, to the point where my choice is sell or change.  I’ll probably do the engine related stuff first to ensure that it’s going to work before tearing the bike apart, and then go from there.  Multiple sources are claiming 80 RWHP with external changes only and that would be a nice start versus the 68 it makes stock.

What I described is not much greater a challenge than restoring an old bike or building a racer once you consider that it’s just taking ‘everything’ off and starting over with the systems.  The biggest challenge in what I have in mind is coming up with a cable operated throttle body that can interface with a custom ECU. Might have to make something there.  Another one is coming up with the low fuel warning light that you need with an injected bike.  I did briefly consider twin carbs but there’s no room and the single throttle body is a good solution.

I’d like the thing to appear as stock as possible so as to show what Piaggio could have done if they’d wanted to go in a more traditional Guzzi direction. MoTs/TüV inspections or whatever are not a factor where the bike is registered, so I don’t don’t have that constraint.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 11:31:56 PM by Tusayan »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2023, 09:54:31 PM »
I think you drastically underestimate him Sir…

I am incapable of underestimating him because I don't know him or his apparent extensive talents.  What I do know is that some of the
complexity of current motorcycles that Tusayan is not satisfied with is mandated by governments to comply with emission and safety standards such as catalytic converters and ABS, to name a few.  If someone wants to take a modern motorcycle and strip off all the complexity and roll it back literally decades, to virtually make a new motorcycle old, I don't understand the premise.  Everything Tusayan seems to want can be found in older, existing machines, including
easily attaining 80 hp.  Now, if this is purely about the creative challenge of creating a vision and employing his talents to achieve it, have at it.  I just
don't understand why one would purchase a new bike in the first place if so many properties and components of the machine he finds to be a negative.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2023, 10:15:20 PM »
I already have a lot of capable older bikes and no, you can’t buy an older ‘adventure touring’ bike that has all of what a new bike has in terms of chassis stiffness and engine development, combined with the compelling simplicity of older bikes that has been largely outlawed in new bikes sold to many markets.

That said if I could get a new 1988-style R100GS to replace mine for let’s say $20K I’d buy one because they were very good. Mine has done 108,000 hard miles worldwide and I love it but the V85TT has the potential to be the same and in some ways significantly more (having much more power, stable handling and big double disk brake).  Nothing else on the market (new or used) has the same titanium valved performance potential while also having the practicality and autonomy potential that could come with e.g. 2V/cylinder, an air cooled twin, single throttle body, single cam/pushrod/screw valve adjustment, single rear shock with no rear shock linkage, non-jacking shaft drive, good comfort two up, factory hard bags, potentially maintainable forever without dealer visits and also reasonably good looking - no Darth Vader plastic.  The networked electronics and smog gee-gaws screw all that up, but with (a lot of) effort I think it’s possible to get the best of both worlds.  I see the stock bike conceptually as a wasted opportunity for my preferences and use.

It’s surely correct that governmental nonsense has driven bikes in a direction I dislike, the newest of my nine bikes otherwise is a 2002 model (it’s a carburated SV650, delightful) and the next newest is the Ducati 996 Mono.  Everything else is from the last century and there are no other new bikes that I would buy.  I don’t think there ever will be again - I think motorcycles have gone off the rails.  Listen to interviews of Miguel Galuzzi (Piaggio’s chief designer) and you’ll hear him say much the same thing, to quote him “something went wrong” but he’s stuck designing them as they are.

A V85TT bought used with low mileage like mine is not valuable enough that I think of it as a significant investment that needs to be preserved as-is, especially given that as a newish bike it’ll depreciate regardless over the next few years. Mine was 10K out the door with three bags, tax included etc.  It’s not a bevel drive Ducati, and is fine for me as a platform for engineered mods. I bet in 20 years the result will be more interesting to a used bike buyer than a stock V85TT that Piaggio or whoever owns Guzzi by then will be expecting you to throw away as obsolete.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 11:53:46 PM by Tusayan »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2023, 04:10:51 AM »
Right now I only have the one bike. What I want in a bike is what drew me to Guzzi so long ago. The sound, the feel, and not passing yourself on the road every 15 min. I really dont care for the styl of a lot of newer bikes. Looks are important to me, but what I find as looking good, does not always jive with everyone else. I road a lot of new bikes, from a few different manufactures last month at Anercade, and Ill tell you. None I would trade my Guzzi for, and only two I would have even added to the garage if I was buying today.
Paul B

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2023, 06:20:46 AM »
I already have a lot of capable older bikes and no, you can’t buy an older ‘adventure touring’ bike that has all of what a new bike has in terms of chassis stiffness and engine development, combined with the compelling simplicity of older bikes that has been largely outlawed in new bikes sold to many markets.

That said if I could get a new 1988-style R100GS to replace mine for let’s say $20K I’d buy one because they were very good. Mine has done 108,000 hard miles worldwide and I love it but the V85TT has the potential to be the same and in some ways significantly more (having much more power, stable handling and big double disk brake).  Nothing else on the market (new or used) has the same titanium valved performance potential while also having the practicality and autonomy potential that could come with e.g. 2V/cylinder, an air cooled twin, single throttle body, single cam/pushrod/screw valve adjustment, single rear shock with no rear shock linkage, non-jacking shaft drive, good comfort two up, factory hard bags, potentially maintainable forever without dealer visits and also reasonably good looking - no Darth Vader plastic.  The networked electronics and smog gee-gaws screw all that up, but with (a lot of) effort I think it’s possible to get the best of both worlds.  I see the stock bike conceptually as a wasted opportunity for my preferences and use.

It’s surely correct that governmental nonsense has driven bikes in a direction I dislike, the newest of my nine bikes otherwise is a 2002 model (it’s a carburated SV650, delightful) and the next newest is the Ducati 996 Mono.  Everything else is from the last century and there are no other new bikes that I would buy.  I don’t think there ever will be again - I think motorcycles have gone off the rails.  Listen to interviews of Miguel Galuzzi (Piaggio’s chief designer) and you’ll hear him say much the same thing, to quote him “something went wrong” but he’s stuck designing them as they are.

A V85TT bought used with low mileage like mine is not valuable enough that I think of it as a significant investment that needs to be preserved as-is, especially given that as a newish bike it’ll depreciate regardless over the next few years. Mine was 10K out the door with three bags, tax included etc.  It’s not a bevel drive Ducati, and is fine for me as a platform for engineered mods. I bet in 20 years the result will be more interesting to a used bike buyer than a stock V85TT that Piaggio or whoever owns Guzzi by then will be expecting you to throw away as obsolete.

OK

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2023, 07:19:05 AM »
I only have two bikes now, so my only criteria is:

am I carrying the wife pillion or need storage in my big boxes? Take the Breva 1100
am I riding alone or for fun? Take the CX100

I only rode the breva twice last year, and it hasn't seen the road yet this summer... Hey, anyone looking for a sweet deal on a fully sorted Breva 1100?????
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here