Author Topic: GuzziDiag Drop Down ECU/TPS Selections  (Read 1029 times)

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
GuzziDiag Drop Down ECU/TPS Selections
« on: March 20, 2021, 12:47:04 AM »
I hadn't noticed or worried about this before.  I was playing around this evening with my GuzziDiag.  I have two 1998 EV with P8 ECU and PF3C TPS.
Using GuzziDiag version 0.47 to read various data and confirm sensor functioning.  I realize this is 'read only' and that you can't actually adjust anything on the P8 via software.

When you use GuzziDiag, first thing is to browse to "File" then "Preferences" to scroll through and select your motorcycle model and its FI components.

There are two selections for California 1100i:
The first is California 1100i with P8 and PF09.
The second is also California 1100i with P8 and PF09.
Not sure why there are two identical.  What's going on inside?  Should one of them really be labelled for the PF3C TPS?

Under California EV there are two selections:
The first is California EV < 2001 with P8 and PF09.
The second is California EV > 2000 with 15M and PF3c.

I just never paid attention before and just selected for the P8.  I have been using the second 1100i option.  It appears there DOES NOT EXIST a selection which precisely combines the P8 ECU with the PF3C TPS and these are what a 1998 EV is fitted with.

I suspect the ECU choice is more important than the TPS choice.  Hence my use of the second 1100i option.

Anyone else using this software on 98EV care to comment?  Some time from 1996 through 1997 Guzzi/Magnetti Marelli transitioned from the PF09 to the PF3C.  Is that second 1100i choice just a typo error as to TPS?  Is that first EV choice just a typo error as to TPS?  More importantly, do the PF3C and PF09 both put out the same millivolt report at the same angular rotation.  (Hence the TPS choice doesn't matter so much.)  Does the current 0.50 version of GuzziDiag perhaps correct this oversight?

Opinions sought.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: GuzziDiag Drop Down ECU/TPS Selections
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »
IMHO, it is probably a typo.

You should let Beard know. Maybe he will correct it.
The P8 box hardware is going to remain the same with the PF09 or the PF3C TPS. The only change is going to be the map rom, and I'm not even sure those changed.

I suspect GuzziDiag really does not care, it just displays degrees. Somewhere in the rom map, it likely converts the millivolts to degrees, and it will display the same degrees no matter what option you select.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
I tried to find the download on Guzzidiag for the P8 ('98 EV) and I'm coming up blank. I tried using the 15M download and it does not work either. PeHayes can you point me in the right direction?
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
I tried to find the download on Guzzidiag for the P8 ('98 EV) and I'm coming up blank.

Not sure I fully understand your question.
First, did you acquire a cable set?
Second, did you download and install the basic GuzziDiag software?
Nothing else to download.  The software comes with specs for all bike models included.
It isn't exactly intuitive as some menus are hidden on or above the top edge of the display window.
You need to open "File" and then "Preferences" to display a drop down for selecting your bike model with CPU and TPS matches.  Oddly, as common as the bike is, there is NOT a specific selection for 98EV with P8 and PF3C.  Among all the choices, there are TWO menu choices for California 1100i and two more for EV.  Of those four, I have been using the SECOND California 1100i choice option.  I think all of the first three would work since they display P8 CPU.  I think the fourth might not since it requires 15M CPU.  The fourth choice shows the correct TPS but wrong CPU.  The selection for California 1100i gives me enough data output for tuning my bikes; both 98 EV.  Each of the data output fields can also be edited by drop-down to select for various parameters.  I use voltage, throttle voltage, engine temp, rpm, timing advance.  You can't adjust any of these via software but you can display them.  Also, in that top margin menu,  you can select "View" and "Diagram" to display a running time graph of each of the parameters.  I use that to monitor TPS for blips.  Not sure how precise it is.

Meanwhile, none of this works to display until you hook up the cables and turn ON the key with engine NOT running.  You can start and run the engine to see display changes, but nothing until you at least have the key on.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »
I tried to find the download on Guzzidiag for the P8 ('98 EV) and I'm coming up blank. I tried using the 15M download and it does not work either. PeHayes can you point me in the right direction?

You download GuzziDiag for free. You select the model you have. It displays the ECU type. Done.
And you of course need a good cable, like LoneElec or whatever.

There are map reader/writers per each ECU. Such as there is a map read/writer for the 15M. There is no map reader for the P8 since it uses an EPROM. But GuzziDiag, is not really the same as the reader/writer software. So ignore that stuff.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 03:34:35 PM »
I have the Lonelec and hooked it up and just got a dialog box. I'll do it again. I am not the most computer savvy dude out there. Thanks, guys.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
I hadn't noticed or worried about this before.  I was playing around this evening with my GuzziDiag.  I have two 1998 EV with P8 ECU and PF3C TPS.
Using GuzziDiag version 0.47 to read various data and confirm sensor functioning.  I realize this is 'read only' and that you can't actually adjust anything on the P8 via software.

When you use GuzziDiag, first thing is to browse to "File" then "Preferences" to scroll through and select your motorcycle model and its FI components.

There are two selections for California 1100i:
The first is California 1100i with P8 and PF09.
The second is also California 1100i with P8 and PF09.
Not sure why there are two identical.  What's going on inside?  Should one of them really be labelled for the PF3C TPS?

Under California EV there are two selections:
The first is California EV < 2001 with P8 and PF09.
The second is California EV > 2000 with 15M and PF3c.

I just never paid attention before and just selected for the P8.  I have been using the second 1100i option.  It appears there DOES NOT EXIST a selection which precisely combines the P8 ECU with the PF3C TPS and these are what a 1998 EV is fitted with.

I suspect the ECU choice is more important than the TPS choice.  Hence my use of the second 1100i option.

Anyone else using this software on 98EV care to comment?  Some time from 1996 through 1997 Guzzi/Magnetti Marelli transitioned from the PF09 to the PF3C.  Is that second 1100i choice just a typo error as to TPS?  Is that first EV choice just a typo error as to TPS?  More importantly, do the PF3C and PF09 both put out the same millivolt report at the same angular rotation.  (Hence the TPS choice doesn't matter so much.)  Does the current 0.50 version of GuzziDiag perhaps correct this oversight?

Opinions sought.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

I doubt there is going to be any difference in the P8/PF09 and the P8/PF03 selection anyway as both those TPS's are Non Linier types anyway. The PF03 linier type ( whose extra designator escapes me at present) TPS was a bit later than this and can be identified by the lack of adjustment slots on the mounting screws. pauldaytona would be the man to ask to clear up the issue though. He's one of the Guzzidiag developers.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:44:55 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 05:58:46 PM »
I use California EV<2000 and works fine for 98EV
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here