Author Topic: Rocker Covers in Crinkle Black  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Rocker Covers in Crinkle Black
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
So the rockers arrived back, I've also been experimenting with a new dash mount but now that's done I'm waiting for the clocks from Speedhut.

Soooo, bunged the old dash back on and got her properly dressed.

Anyway, here is a picture of the bike with the rockers done in gloss black, this was a screw up on the powder coater's part, but I lived with it for a while

But as I had wanted a crinkle finish from day one I eventually bit the bullet

Personally I really like it and the photos are not the best

Be interested to hear other opinions, good or bad

John

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: Rocker Covers in Crinkle Black
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
I like the covers, but then again I'm not exactly an objective judge - I rattle-canned mine with wrinkle black. Josie (The Bassa Rat) was previously owned by some polishing types, but those days are over for her.

Always emotionally frustrating when a supplier errs, but I think you have a good look there. Now ride it ....
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Took me about 20 minutes to ogle the rest of the bike & get to the rocker covers, but, yeah, I think they look great....
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
Of course I like them.

Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »

The triple tree's and fork legs on the CX are a black powder coated wrinkle finish from Steve Ford when he ran Parts is Parts. That was at least 15 years ago and they have held up very well.

Yours look very nice.  :thumb:
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »

Well now, OldJock,  I can honestly say I'm of no help whatsoever as I like 'em both! One question though, Who makes the tail section? :bike-037:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
The triple tree's and fork legs on the CX are a black powder coated wrinkle finish from Steve Ford when he ran Parts is Parts. That was at least 15 years ago and they have held up very well.

Hmmm .... The previous owner left some dings in the fork leg on the left side, up in the zone behind the headlight. They are rusting and I've been pondering how to approach them. I'll have to consider some creative masking-in-place and finishing off the remainder of my rattle-can black.

WAIT A MINUTE !  That would make any disassembly or adjustment a real pain in the future - wouldn't it?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:42:41 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
I use wrinkle black spray paint on my Norton triple trees over 40 years ago. Other than a few paint chip touch ups the paint is still there. No need for power coating.
Its very durable. The stuff I used was from a Harley shop with the Harley brand on it. I think what you find at most auto parts stores today is probably just as good.
I also painted the disk carriers on my lemans wrinkle red. Again still in good shape.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:23:18 PM by PeteS »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
Did the valve covers on the Breva 1100 with Harley wrinkle black rattle can.
A beautiful bike you have there.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »
Well now, OldJock,  I can honestly say I'm of no help whatsoever as I like 'em both! One question though, Who makes the tail section? :bike-037:

Paul B :boozing:

The bike is a Magni Sfida 1100i, it's a Sporti with a frame mirroring Guzzis and wearing different clothes

Its a beam or spine frame but there are some significant differences to the frame excluding the obvious, which is the parallelogramo swinging arm

So the tail section was made by Magni, he probably still has them as he carries or gets made parts for the bikes if you happen to bend them (don't ask me how I know).

I have no clue if it would install on a stock Sporti frame and at the very least would require lugs to be welded to the rear subframe for the locating bolts at the back.

If you want some measurements from it drop me a PM

It won't be cheap but his spares are reasonable considering the rarity of the bikes.

magni@magni.it, sometimes he replies sometimes not and you will not get a reply immediately even if you are lucky. He's a busy boy with a lot of people doing business with him & some are big big bucks (mainly on the MV side of things)

John

twowings

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
I think you have an exceptionally good-looking motorbike there... :bow:

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »
When I built this for Deb, I used covers from a LeMans that were factory painted red. I had planned to wrinkle black them but Deb liked them red so I left them, and now I like them too
[/ur
[url=http://ibb.co/g5kGMb]

how can i upload images
l]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:22:22 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
Looking good! However I would sand off the black on the ridges of the valve covers.
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
Like the wrinkle finish. Gives the covers character, as if the bike needed it; the whole thing is a feast for the eyes :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »
Seems like they should have always been black on that bike. Good, natural looking I think, nice bike!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
Eldo dashes are supposed to be wrinkle.  I redo mine every 15 years or so.  Plenty left in the VHT can so I did the peg mounts as well.  Heat gun and cardboard "paint booth".

https://imgur.com/OZPRjPz

Wants paint: 

Stripped: 

Installed: 

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:21:36 PM by guzziownr »
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
You could've put purple polka-dots on the valve covers and the bike would remain a feast for the eyes...
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »
Eldo dashes are supposed to be wrinkle.  I redo mine every 15 years or so.  Plenty left in the VHT can so I did the peg mounts as well.  Heat gun and cardboard "paint booth".

That's a nice job, it's funny you mention dashes, I mentioned in another thread about trying to get the clocks more upright and get rid of the fugly blue speedo (Sure Guzzi needed an mph speedo but the nice white ones were kph, so they had these blue ones lying around and thought............ ....heh!! ita fit in da hole). So I got this

So while idly browisng E-Bay I got a Hardlee dash, I think it's off a Sportster, cheap. It's been a PIA & I'm not even sure if it's going to pan out Ok.

First was a Perspex template, as I couldn't mark up the CF directly.

Then the CF plate

It now might be too upright!!!!! I suppose it can be bent to a new angle later if required

Here is how I hope the clocks look, only showing the speedo but I have a tacho ordered too

Beginning to wish I'd never started it and left well alone, enthusiasm can be a curse as well as a blessing.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
Old Jock, That Sfida is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever admired !  I am curious, what is that bike worth these days?
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Old Jock, I must agree. That is one gorgeous Magni.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
Jeez John.
If you and Canuck 750 ever slept together,
I can scarcely imagine what the result might be, but the biological by product would be a perfect storm of taste and creative ability.
Lamentable that one of you isn't female...
What I'm stupidly trying to say is that the combination of you two is a Phd in taste, style and functionality...
 :thumb: :bow:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:39:43 PM by Huzo »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
Old Jock, That Sfida is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever admired !  I am curious, what is that bike worth these days?
Rick.

Really don't know Rick, I would hazard a guess at circa 17k GBP, given the prices LM Is have been fetching recently.

The problem with Magnis in general is that they just don't come on sale that often really even the Sfida 1000 which was (I think) the bike made in the largest numbers and based around the LM 1000. The Sfida 1100 and the Sfida 1000 4V are much rarer, with the Australia being the rarest of all.

It cost me quite a bit about 5 or so years back, simply because they are so dammed rare.

I've done a lot of work to it since then, stripped to the casings and cleaned all new seals some new bearings (including input and output bearings in the gbx). Frame recoated, all the paint redone, with the signs all airbrushed in, no decals. Joe Caruso steel gears, ISR discs, brakes and levers (including a radial master), new lines, all new tubing  (including the oil cooler hoses) ceramic coated exhausts plus a whole lot of extra farkles and SS fasteners almost everywhere.

Electrically not that much couple of relays for the headlamp to give the switchgear an easier life, LED H4 replacement with LED running light, LED tail light (because the original fell to pieces, it's a direct copy), Transil Diode to protect the ECU, all the relays changed out for Panasonic items, Oh and the bike came with a "My ECU" already installed.

I'm not naive enough to think that it has added any value to it, perhaps detracted some (you know what collectors are like with originality).

I did it for me and I just love Magni's work, can't help myself.

I'd have to be in pretty dire straights to even consider selling it.

John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:07:16 PM by Old Jock »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
Jeez John.
If you and Canuck 750 ever slept together,
I can scarcely imagine what the result might be, but the biological by product would be a perfect storm of taste and creative ability.
Lamentable that one of you isn't female...
What I'm stupidly trying to say is that the combination of you two is a Phd in taste, style and functionality...
 :thumb: :bow:

Huzo

If there was a Fashion Police I guarantee I'd be on the top most wanted, you ought to see the way I dress.

As for mechanical and electrical skills I'm not more than average............ .................bu t I have spent an obscene amount of money

Anyway That post was very very funny

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »

when I put this Stone together from parts piles I used covers from a Lemans that were red, thinking I would wrinkle black them later but we decided the red was kind of striking so I left them. Maybe red on yours would look good
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »

when I put this Stone together from parts piles I used covers from a Lemans that were red, thinking I would wrinkle black them later but we decided the red was kind of striking so I left them. Maybe red on yours would look good

I did have thoughts on a red a crinkle/crackle for the covers John, I opted for the black for 2 reasons, first the red might not be the same shade then, to my eye anyway, it would just not look right, I had a similar experience while experimenting with the tank cap. Second there is a helluva lot of red on the bike already so I thought some more black might be a more suitable contrast.

I'm not saying what I did was right, there are no wrongs and rights, it's all down to the individual.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Yeah, the red on ours is off from matching and black would look better but she likes it and they look like red lights when viewed from the front so she looks like a cop if she wears a black jacket and white helmet. You've done a very nice job, Im impressed with the attention to detail. What are you going to do next, after this one is done?
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
I've got another in need of atten
What are you going to do next, after this one is done?

I have another in need of modification

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=62135.120

See my post near the bottom, gotta a load of stuff to do on it

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
So after a long hiatus the Speedhut gauges arrived, they are nice although the Magni logos don't look to me quite the same size or in exactly the same place.

I doubt they will go onto the bike this year I'm up to my ass in bits stripping a Hi Cam to fit Joe Caruso's Oil pump and gear kit.

The gauges are nice but I really do wish now I had never started on this but having gone this far I'll have to persevere. My only gripe is I wish they had used glass rather than plastic.

The plan is to use the LEDs on the Speedo for Hi Beam, Indicator and Neutral, the 4 Leds in the dash are for Oil Pressure, Fuel & Charge System, the one above is a voltage monitor, which changes through a range of colors and is also self dimming

God help me when I have to wire this bowl of spaghetti, it's not going to be fun

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
Two gauges and four idiot lights do not spaghetti make.  You should be able to knock that out and still have time to go for a ride before old age sets in.

The dashboard I'm doing has 7 gauges doing 12 functions, with 6 indicator lights and 12 switches.  Wiring it up is gonna take all day . . .  :coffee:

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »
An elegant dash, Jock. Well done. I trust you won't have too much trouble plugging it in.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here