Author Topic: Solutions to a touring problem?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline erich

• New Egg
Re: Solutions to a touring problem?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
In the Viennese bicycle hype of the 1980s I lost several bikes. After each theft I bought I slightly better lock than the last one - one would not want to appear paranoid - and lost the bike again.
Finally had to accept that apparently some people carried concealed 14" bolt cutters always, any time of the day. For the G5 I now use 6mm chains, because unlike a cable they collapse into a nice little heap at the bottom of the saddlebag. My 18" bolt cutter cuts them easily, but I hope that they withstand a 14".
Picture of the G5 in a parking house in Venice in July. 170cm chain through jacket arms, airbag vest and helmet and padlocked.

1979 V1000 G5

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Solutions to a touring problem?
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Lannis

let us know when you get and your thoughts on how well it works...

Mark

I got the PacSafe, the "120 liter" version.   It packs down into a nylon bag about the size of two fists.    It expands out easily, works slick.   Here it is with a complete girl's Rukka outfit, a Darien jacket, and two full helmets:

You pack everything in, loop the cable around a hard part of the frame, and lock it up with the padlock provided.   A bolt cutter or heavy cable-cutter could get into it, but no one is going to "grab and run" with it, or get into it with a pocket knife or little wire-cutters.

I'll cinch the opening down a little tighter on the road, so no one can "work" the jacket out easily.

When done, it slides back very slickly into the storage bag, and goes into the bottom of the top box.

I think it's going to work well for what I want.   Hope I don't have to test it ... !

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:29:56 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here