Author Topic: Tiger 800 xRx low...  (Read 1982 times)

lucydad

Tiger 800 xRx low...
« on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
All,

Tripped on this bike on the Triumph forum.  What is really keen:  a low suspension version suitable for fire plug inseam people like myself.
Love the triple engines...per my STRX.  ABS of course, and ride by wire and lots of adjustability.  Pretty expensive.  Still fishing around for a longer distance medium touring bike.  BIL has the bigger engine Tiger, and loves it.  After my VStrom rental in Durango a month ago I see the merits of dual sport.  Too bad Guzzi does not make a dual-sport bike in this lighter/lower range.  421 pounds dry, near a 30 inch seat height. Full instrumentation, 5 gallon tank.  Easily set up for bags. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyBBTqtkGSE

Have not been on a bike for over a week due to nasty summer cold crud.  Time for a nap I guess.  Will dream of riding.  Hope to test the V9 in two weeks. 

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Re: Tiger 800 xRx low...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
We have been asking for a smaller/lighter Stelvio for years.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong with the Tiger. 

From all appearances/reports, the V9 isn't going to be comfortable for long trips unless you do something about the seat and even then the ergonomics and relative lack of protection mean you'll be trying to adapt it to something for which it wasn't really designed.  The Tiger will work right out of the box.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a MV Agusta Turismo Veloce, which is in many ways comparable to the Tiger.  Wasn't planning on buying anything so soon, but was offered a great deal,  Probably a byproduct of the bankruptcy.  Not a good bike for short inseamed folks.

Still interested in the V9 as a runabout.
V9 Bobber
Zero S

twowings

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
Talk to GuzzistaJohn...he is a Tiger Tamer...he even drops it on the rocks once in a while to prove it's tough!  :laugh:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
Tiger? No way only 73 or74 thousand miles of (nearly) trouble free miles. Did a bunburner 1500 on it, rode to Daytona bike week in 21 degree weather, pikes peak, blue ridge pkw, even had her airborne a time or two. Nahhhh tigers SUCK  :laugh: oh and I have a dealer here too :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
I have an 800xc. It does have a sweet motor though mine still has the early mapping and the light switch throttle. In retrospect I wish I had got the roadie as I find the XC top heavy compared with my KLR. When the ride is about off road I take the KLR. The XC is the long distance road bike now but the 21" front wheel is not confidence inspiring in high speed turns. I test rode a roadie and its much better as a sport bike.
I think you will like that bike.

Pete

lucydad

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
GJohn,

Hmm, that sounds like an endorsement.  When my body clears this summer cold gunk I will ride down to my friendly (?) Triumph dealer and take a look.  They don't have the low model on the floor.  Pretty refined design with shorter people in mind.  Thanks!

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »
GJohn,

Hmm, that sounds like an endorsement.  When my body clears this summer cold gunk I will ride down to my friendly (?) Triumph dealer and take a look.  They don't have the low model on the floor.  Pretty refined design with shorter people in mind.  Thanks!

I've had a blast on mine Greg, my old guzzis are great but that triple is really smooooooooth as you know!

lucydad

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
John,

Yeah.

I know.

Got the need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmvZ-MZ7mA

twowings

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
Have to admit...sounds like a helluva good time!  :thumb:

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »
Tiger? No way only 73 or74 thousand miles of (nearly) trouble free miles. Did a bunburner 1500 on it, rode to Daytona bike week in 21 degree weather, pikes peak, blue ridge pkw, even had her airborne a time or two. Nahhhh tigers SUCK  :laugh: oh and I have a dealer here too :thumb:

......Yeah, so where's the fun with that...... :evil:

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
Even the standard version doesn't sit very tall.  I have a 29" inseam and felt very comfortable on it
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »
Rode a '16 xCx recently. What a sweet machine!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:42:07 PM by JProdun »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 05:51:21 PM »
John,

Yeah.

I know.

Got the need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmvZ-MZ7mA

Dude, that's like...........musi c!  I've been neglecting the tiger lately riding the LMIII I think it's time to rotate the garage.

lucydad

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
BIL warned me away from low version due to possible compromised handling...might go sit on a regular with adjusted low seat?

Yeah, my Triple has been neglected.  Need combo of reasonable heat index, not caring for Alzheimer's patient, and recovery from summer cold.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here