Author Topic: Norge or Stelvio for cross US & back trip?  (Read 5781 times)

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge or Stelvio for cross US & back trip?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 05:28:18 AM »
You list 4 bikes in your sig. Why don't you just take one of those. Seems they would all be capable and maybe even better suited for this trip. My first cross country trip was done on a 750 Norton with a duffle bag bungeed to the back seat.

Pete

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3102877753088725/

Probably get if for less than the $5K asking price. Who knows if it's been rollerized but I'm guessing it's easy to find out.

Never mind, this is the dealer in Vegas.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:16:26 AM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »
Too many posts for me to read, but maybe the OP will read all since he is taking the trip.

Are you planning on photography during the trip?  Which bike do you want in your photos? 

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »
I would like to run regular in my Stelvio but have always been wary.Anyone else do that?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »
I ran regular fuel in my Stelvio, never had a problem.  She was not babied.  Ran fine from sea level to 11,500 ft altitude and from 25F to 103F.  I had the stock intake and exhaust but did install a better fuel map.  As we all know, the big block likes to spin so I seldom ran below 3K rpm.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:39 AM »
You could fly to Buffalo, buy my 2014 Norge that's been serviced by Hamlin from day one, and not have to "bang out" your eastern portion of there trip.
Just sayin.............. ....and I'm well in your price range.

This is what I am thinking...  Take a few extra days touring the mountains of NY to make up for the lost riding from the west coast. Upstate NY has some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere.
Paul B

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »
So you have a Griso that you know. Get a Pro-pad for your butt, some textiles day bags and a tail bag & tank bag and ride it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:18:03 AM by bodine99 »

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
For my Griso, I'm not manly enough to jump on that for a 8K-10K mile trip!  Sure I could add bar risers, lower pegs, windshield, luggage, and try to turn it into something it is not, but I don't really want to do that to my precious Griso.   :laugh:

For my Quota, I've taken off on a 3 day trip that turned into a 2 day trip and a list of repairs needed. So I don't have much faith in it going the distance.  Plus the wind management on it is kind of bad.  I normally ride it 2-5 hours, back roads, lower speeds, and for that it is great.  Hitting the highway and running steady high speeds, even with ear plugs, is not enjoyable.  Loud, buffeting, etc.

The Racer?  Nahhhh, similar concerns as with the Griso.

I have 1 bad knee, crappy wrists, kind of bad back, etc ... getting old  :smiley: ... so I figured I'd better pick a bike made for this kind of trip that will make my life easier.

I really like the Stelvio idea ... just hope a good one turns up.

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »
I would like to run regular in my Stelvio but have always been wary.Anyone else do that?

When I get the bike home from a trip, I fill it up from my drum of 91 octane stabilized non-ethanol just in case it will end up sitting for a while.

On the road I generally use 89 octane E10, unless there's only 87 octane and I use that.

Can't ever tell any difference in performance or mileage, so the cheapest is probably the best in this case.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »
I sure like my 2016 Versys 1000LT. Great ergos brakes, luggage and wind protection. Ninja power. Kawasaki reliability.  It's not an adventure bike so stay off loose gravel.

These are well within your budget.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:02:19 PM by Seventy One »

Offline Blaufeld66

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 02:52:56 AM »
Just for curiousity...
Here in Italy, when you sell a motorcycle or a car, you must pay a tax. For motorcycles if both seller and buyer go personally to the National Registry, they must pay around 140 USD (who pays depends on the transaction terms). If you go to an agency, they take care of the paperwork but you'll pay 50%-75% more.
Car taxes are much higher.

It is the same in the USA?
Sold:
1984 V65C
1985 850-T5
2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello Edition
2008 Stelvio 1200 4V
Own:
2003 California EV

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 05:20:00 AM »
yes

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 05:35:55 AM »
Just for curiousity...
Here in Italy, when you sell a motorcycle or a car, you must pay a tax. For motorcycles if both seller and buyer go personally to the National Registry, they must pay around 140 USD (who pays depends on the transaction terms). If you go to an agency, they take care of the paperwork but you'll pay 50%-75% more.

Buyer pays a sales tax, which can vary from state to state, and even county to county.  From zero on used, to over 10 percent of purchase price. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:38:44 AM by twowheeladdict »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2020, 07:56:23 AM »
Just for curiousity...

Depends on the state..  Normal y its the buyer that pays..  but some states dont have a sales tax and have a usage tax.. where they pay a tax on value every set amount of years.
Paul B

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
 Much as I love MG for your trip, considering cost, handling, comfort and RELIABILITY I would highly recommend a Suzuki Vstrom of 1000 or 650 cc.  I road tripped on two DL100's for 45,000 miles without a glitch.  Cheap, good handling, comfortable and reliable. Big dual sports are sit upright comfy and good handlers for people of a certain age!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:31:07 AM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
Then I recommend a Japanese Lotus Elan 2nd gen. Miata :thumb:

Offline farrider2

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2020, 09:47:47 AM »
One thing not mentioned so far is the difference in their off-road capabilities.  If you are planning on a straight interstate trip then either is great with personal comfort and luggage capabilities being potentially deciding factors. If you are planning side/dirt roads then a big fuel tank, crash bars and additional off-road capabilities are beneficial.

I have a 2009 Kawasaki Concours C-14 set up for long distance however bought a 2013 Stelvio specifically for the trip from Dead Horse, Alaska to Key West, Florida next year.  The Concours is a magnificent mile-eater on pavement - smooth, fast, reliable - but I don't think it is properly set up for running the Dalton Highway.  The Stelvio (with the proper tires) is more adapt in that environment.  It just needs to have the tires changed when it is back on continuous pavement to finish the Ultimate Coast to Coast run. 

Ride Fast - Ride Far

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
One thing not mentioned so far is the difference in their off-road capabilities.  If you are planning on a straight interstate trip then either is great with personal comfort and luggage capabilities being potentially deciding factors. If you are planning side/dirt roads then a big fuel tank, crash bars and additional off-road capabilities are beneficial.

I have a 2009 Kawasaki Concours C-14 set up for long distance however bought a 2013 Stelvio specifically for the trip from Dead Horse, Alaska to Key West, Florida next year.  The Concours is a magnificent mile-eater on pavement - smooth, fast, reliable - but I don't think it is properly set up for running the Dalton Highway.  The Stelvio (with the proper tires) is more adapt in that environment.  It just needs to have the tires changed when it is back on continuous pavement to finish the Ultimate Coast to Coast run.

Sounds like a great trip!!! 
Paul B

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »

Just repeating what other Stelvio riders have said ... many of them have tires that are very much off-road capable, matter of fact they look rather rough and craggy for street work ... but they insist that they work as well on pavement as the 100% street tires.

I may spring for a pair of those, just for giggles, when the next tire change comes up ...

Lannis

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
Just repeating what other Stelvio riders have said ... many of them have tires that are very much off-road capable, matter of fact they look rather rough and craggy for street work ... but they insist that they work as well on pavement as the 100% street tires.

I may spring for a pair of those, just for giggles, when the next tire change comes up ...

Lannis

During 7000 miles of Dunlop Roadsmart III front tire use, I find it noticeably smoother riding than the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail front tire. So are those off-road capable tires you mentioned going to ride as smooth as the 100% street Dunlop? And I also need to be assured they work as well on pavement during an emergency stop in a fast turn. Those emergency stops don't happen too often, maybe those you are repeating didn't have the experience necessary to comment.

It's all about factor of safety for me riding on road. True I need to switch tires when off pavement though.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline Snowman

• New Egg
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
My ST1300 was the most boring motocycle I have bnb owned. They also have a known issue with coolant leaks as mine had on the top of the engine which requires removal of the fairing and radiator.
I now have a '09 Norge and it is one of the best sportier touring bikes I have owned. I have had FJRs, Concours and various BMWs. Plus, you can find one cheaper than all of them.
2023 Suzuki GSXS1000GT+
2009 Guzzi Norge
1992 BMW R100RS
1985 BMW K100RS Turbo
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
1987 Suzuki GSXR50

Offline daytonars97

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
If an ST1300 is still in the running, I would look into a CTX1300.  Same engine although detuned (Less hp/more torque). Can be had with ABS/TCS. I Love mine. Most comfortable bike that I have owned for long distance travel.  My"Huzzy".  "My" problem with Guzzi for cross country trips is the scarcity of dealers, not to mention good ones.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:49:53 PM by daytonars97 »
Honda CTX1300D "HUZZI"
1988 R100rs
1992 R100r
1995 R1100rsl
1997 Daytona rs

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »
If an ST1300 is still in the running, I would look into a CTX1300.  Same engine although detuned (Less hp/more torque). Can be had with ABS/TCS. I Love mine. Most comfortable bike that I have owned for long distance travel.  My"Huzzy".  "My" problem with Guzzi for cross country trips is the scarcity of dealers, not to mention good ones.

Ahh..
Ye of so little faith, it’s gunna’ be good to see how this works out... :popcorn:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »
"My" problem with Guzzi for cross country trips is the scarcity of dealers, not to mention good ones.

I definitely don't understand that ... Why would you think you need a dealer nearby for a cross-country trip?

Make sure the bike is right before you go, then just ride.   If you hole a tire, you or any tire-fixer can fix it.    Unless you're going 15,000 miles in one trip, you shouldn't need any "dealer" service.

Out in the middle of nowhere, a Honda dealer might be as far away from wherever you might "need" one as a Guzzi dealer is at home.    You can't have any fun limiting your route or your trip to "X" miles away from a dealer .... ?   At least I wouldn't.

Lannis

Offline daytonars97

• Hatchling
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2020, 04:37:22 PM »
I definitely don't understand that ... Why would you think you need a dealer nearby for a cross-country trip?

Make sure the bike is right before you go, then just ride.   If you hole a tire, you or any tire-fixer can fix it.    Unless you're going 15,000 miles in one trip, you shouldn't need any "dealer" service.

Out in the middle of nowhere, a Honda dealer might be as far away from wherever you might "need" one as a Guzzi dealer is at home.    You can't have any fun limiting your route or your trip to "X" miles away from a dealer .... ?   At least I wouldn't.

Lannis

Having the bike in good shape is no assurance you are not going to have a problem. Nor is it the same to have a breakdown 100 than 400 miles away from a dealer. 

I do not limit my trips based on distance from a dealer.  I just use my Honda for which I know there is an extensive dealer network.  That is also why I no longer use my BMWs for extensive travel.

But, in any case that is my opinion, and if you are comfortable with a guzzi cross country trip that is fine by me. For that purpose, I prefer my Honda.
Honda CTX1300D "HUZZI"
1988 R100rs
1992 R100r
1995 R1100rsl
1997 Daytona rs

Offline Luke

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
I don’t know about the other bikes but the newer Norges have improved fairing lowers that reduces the heat on the lower legs. Maybe something to consider for a long summer ride.

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »

I have 1 bad knee, crappy wrists, kind of bad back, etc ... getting old  :smiley: ... so I figured I'd better pick a bike made for this kind of trip that will make my life easier.

I can relate to this description, and in my experience, the Road King is the better choice for an enjoyable trip.  I've toured on a Norge, a California, a BMW GS, a Buell Ulysses, a Road King and a few others.  The Road King, for me, is the most comfortable of the bunch and still has enough character to be enjoyable.  They do live up their name.  The Ulysses is my number two choice.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2020, 12:48:48 AM »
Today's update:

- probably passing on an ST1300.  Too heavy.  Too boring.  And the "excessive heat on the rider" thing for an August trip doesn't sound good.
- no decent Stelvio's to be found (yet)
- finding a number of nice Yamaha Super Tenere's.  Might go check 1 or 2 out this week.
- considering a V-Strom 1000, but really want a shaft drive
- did another search on VRF1200X's and nothing out there (well, some new leftovers and a used one that is 11 hours away from me)
- thought about taking the Quota for about 2-3 minutes then got over that!  :grin:

A bit more about the trip:

- CA->VA will need to be a ~6 day major road "get there quick" trip
- Then I will be in VA for 2-3 weeks hanging around with family (wedding, and visit with relatives in the area) (do any bike maint/tires)
- Then the VA->CA trip can be 3-4 weeks

Going solo, so I don't really want to venture off into any remote dirt areas and drop a ~600lb bike.  If on a Stelvio or Super Tenere, going through Colorado and Utah will be tempting.  But ... they have rentals.  So I could ride my Triumph Trophy 1200 SE into Moab and then rent a KTM dirt bike!  (for example) (or my Stelvio with street ish tread tires and do a real dirt bike rental)

So it will probably come down to which nice bike pops up in the used market in the next few weeks.  Figuring on a mid August departure, and I'd like to get the new to me bike as early as possible to get things sorted out (might have to buy cases, or tires, and do pre-trip maint). 

Right now, the Super Tenere 1200 is looking like the most possible.  Got 3 nice ones not too far away. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2020, 12:58:00 AM »
Oh wait, there was this bike:

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2020, 05:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the ideas so far!

Seems like a Stelvio is getting the most votes.  :grin:

The ST1300 is just so darn practical.  And I found one with 6,000 miles on it, $4500, short drive away. 

Only decent Stelvio I'm seeing (within practical driving distance) the guy wants $9000 for it!  ouchie!

Harley Road King?  Hum, I've rented two Harley's in the past and been way under impressed with them.  Can't imagine having to ride one for that long.  Maybe I should go test ride one to double check my dislike of Harleys.  :grin:

The Triumph Trophy SE, had not even thought of that one.  Did some reading, seems like a Triumph version of the R1200RT.  Nearest decent used one is a mega drive away from me thou.

And good point on the weak resale of a Moto Guzzi post trip.  But since I'm buying used, and will add <10K miles, if shouldn't be a big financial drop, just might take a while to find a buyer.  I'd be happy with something like buy for $7500 ish, sell for $6500 ish.  (Or buy at $7K, sell at $6K)

Maybe a nice used reasonably priced Stelvio (not too far away) will pop up.  There is one in Colorado but that is 1200 miles away. 

Any other ideas/suggestions, please post away.  Thanks!

Cheapest but still reliable machine to do the trip on would be a first gen Concours.  Big tank, comfortable, fast.  You can pick nice ones up all day for $2500. 

The FJR1300 is a great bike.  Relatively sporty but capable of big miles daily. 

The Stelvio is a good bike but the Suzuki DL1000 Is the same idea, with less maintenance, weighs 100lbs less and can be picked up for a song. 

The thought of slabbing across the US in August, on almost any motorcycle, isn’t pleasant.  Personally, I’d rather fly and take advantage of kingoffleece’s Norge or a similar bike for the return trip.  It would eliminate the need to find a shop to swap tires mid trip.  It would eliminate 6 days of misery.  You’d have a LOT more options on bikes because you wouldn’t have to prioritize 600 mile days.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here