Author Topic: Long Shot - Anyone recognize this washer  (Read 1644 times)

Offline kfz

• Gosling
Long Shot - Anyone recognize this washer
« on: July 12, 2020, 08:07:43 AM »
Trying to source a small shouldered washer from inside the damper cartridge of MK5 LEmans (later type forks -18").

Its not listed a separate part from Guzzi and the only replacement dampers are the FAC ones.   the washer is the spring seat that hold the valve/piston shim in place. Would really to source a replacement.

Doesnt anyone recognize it from anywhere else on the bike?  Long shot,  or does anyone have dead damper or one languishing in spaces box.

Ta
Kev

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Long Shot - Anyone recognize this washer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
I have a pair of Le Mans 1000 ("Mk. 5") dampers in my stash. Pay postage and they're yours.
Charlie

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:26:40 AM »
I have a pair of Le Mans 1000 ("Mk. 5") dampers in my stash. Pay postage and they're yours.

Charlie, Thats very kind, but i am in the UK so  more trouble for you. If I cant source any here,  I may give you a shout. 

Thanks for the offer.

Kev

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 02:38:40 AM »
Trying to source a small shouldered washer from inside the damper cartridge of MK5 LEmans (later type forks -18").

Its not listed a separate part from Guzzi and the only replacement dampers are the FAC ones.   the washer is the spring seat that hold the valve/piston shim in place. Would really to source a replacement.

Doesnt anyone recognize it from anywhere else on the bike?  Long shot,  or does anyone have dead damper or one languishing in spaces box.

Ta
Kev

Very nice drawing. probably cheaper to get one made than pay shipping. I could machine you up one but with postage these days it would take a month to get to you.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 02:38:40 AM »

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 03:52:46 AM »
Very nice drawing. probably cheaper to get one made than pay shipping. I could machine you up one but with postage these days it would take a month to get to you.

Ciao

Hey Phil,

Agreed.  Thanks for the offer. 

Yep I trained as engineer many years ago but can just about knock up a sketch.  I guess Technical Drawing skills are lot a lot different these days. 

Kev

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »
Charlie, Thats very kind, but i am in the UK so  more trouble for you. If I cant source any here,  I may give you a shout. 

Thanks for the offer.

Kev

Just so we're "on the same page" is that from a Bitubo damper or something else? The ones I have are Bitubo.
Charlie

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 03:01:16 PM »
Hey Charlie,

Yes.  The washer forms the seat that the tiny pressure spring holds the shim against the piston.  The Shim fits over the lower rod  (11mm) and buts up against the main part of the rod (13mm). Then you adjust the damper is squeezes up the spring putting more pressure on shim via the spring.

Does that make sense?

Quite nice engineering. Pity they ruined it by putting 2 bic biro pen springs in them.

Kev

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »
If I "harvested" that part from a damper, it would be small enough to send USPS First Class International for ~ $15.00.
Charlie

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 05:50:25 AM »
If I "harvested" that part from a damper, it would be small enough to send USPS First Class International for ~ $15.00.

Charlie,

Thanks again for the offer. But I am sorted out now. Should have a replacement soon.

Best Regards
Kev

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 07:50:40 AM »
Inconsistent arrow heads. Dimension lines not thinner than the parts outline. Scale not stated.  :whip2:

Well that's what my T.D. teacher would have said back in '77!

Took me a while to figure out what he meant when he wrote on my technical drawing. "Don't write your eights!" Yes with an exclamation mark.  I lost marks on two more drawings, until I finally realized that he wanted me to draw the number eight as two individual circles vs drawing a figure eight.  (I was too shy a kid to ask him in person.)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here