Author Topic: Sadly enough, some bikes must die so others can keep on living......  (Read 2072 times)

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
  • It's not always easy being me!
Bought me a 24k miles 1997 1100 Sport parts bike. The original owner abandoned this bike at a Moto Guzzi dealership over a decade ago. I assume that he didn’t have the money to pay for whatever the dealership did to the bike, but who knows..... I bought this bike sight unseen, since I was really only interested in the ECU and I always wanted a spare gearbox with helical cut gears, and $400.00 seemed a great price for just those two items by themselves, so the rest of the bike, even if it would had turned out crappy was just gravy anyway!

The West Virginia Moto Guzzi dealership closed its doors about six month ago, and a gentleman who knew the owner ended up buying the 1100 Sport and other items during the “Going out of business” sale. The gentleman who bought this bike decided that this 1100 was not worth spending the money needed to fix it, especially not knowing anything about this bikes history, besides that it had been in storage for over a decade, so he just wanted to get her gone.

I like projects, but I agree with the other gentleman, this bike is not worth spending probably $8k or better to get it restored.
Make a long story short, I came home from West Virginia with this bike in the back of my truck yesterday, and I didn’t waist any time debating on what I should do......

Sadly enough, some bikes must die so others can keep on living......

I am really happy that I bought this bike. I didn’t know that the original owner installed Termignoni exhaust pipes and a Stucchi (spelling?) crossover, but the header pipes are missing. I opened the tape sealed ECU, and it has the Creedon chip installed. I then noticed a nice throttle locking device, which I had never seen before, so I’m definitely installing it onto one of my other bikes. I didn't know that the 1100 Sport's helibars also come in a raised version, which this bike has installed. I will probably install those on one of my other bikes. The pork-chop’s aluminum is polished, so I’m definitely installing them onto one of my bikes. I also noticed a rear heavy duty carbon fiber tire hugger installed, which is something I haven’t seen yet.

I hooked up a battery, and the lights and instrument cluster fired up, so this bike gave me many really nice spare parts. I drained the gearbox oil, and no metal is on the magnet, and the clutch also functions properly.

I don’t know why the shop removed the cylinders from this bike? All I was told is that the bike was running when it was dropped of at the dealer. I received the cylinders with the purchase of the bike, and they look great. I don’t know yet on what I’m going to do with this engine. I may end up getting it rebuild and have the engine and gearbox painted in black...... But this is going to be a project for maybe next year.

But yes, forks, wheels, final drive, drive shaft...... everything was really dirty, but all of those parts will cleanup nicely. 🙂

I also wonder.... What in the word happened to the fuel tank? I have never seen a tank rusting away like this, especially since this bike was sitting inside of a heated warehouse?

With the brandades in place, the healing can begin! And yes, this tank is for sale, but no "lowball offers" please, I know what I got! :)

96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
That gas tank is pretty bad.  Good parts buy!   :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:27:01 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
I'm curious.  Since I ride in WV all the time--  what dealership was it?
He lost the run of himself.

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
I'm curious.  Since I ride in WV all the time--  what dealership was it?

I don't remember the name of the WV dealership that this bike came from. I only remember that it closed its doors about six month ago.
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Wildguzzi.com

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
For that price, you got a lot of great spare parts. What's a rough idea on cost to get an engine rebuilt by a pro? I've always wondered.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Man, you made out like a bandit. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
MedicAndy,

Great buy, you should be able to recoup the $400, & gas money with the sale of a just half dozen of those parts. Lots of hard to find stuff that is also interchangeable to the Daytona RS.

That black/blue/green shade, along with being a stunning color, is very rare. Nice to get a few body parts in the deal.

As to the gas tank, might make some kind of garage art. I would guess that a water/gas cocktail lived inside for some time.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:53:12 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ

Nice score Andy, If you really want that tank sold fast, include a new fuel filter and free Tetanus shot! :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
For that price, you got a lot of great spare parts. What's a rough idea on cost to get an engine rebuilt by a pro? I've always wondered.

I don't know, my friend..... I assume that the sky is the limit, depending on what you would like to get done. I would think that the cost, if using performance parts (rod's, cam, pistons) during a complete rebuild could easily set you back maybe $4k

My plan for this engine and gear-box is to get them inspected and to replace whatever is needed. I will then have the engine and gear-box painted in black and install it on a custom bike that I'm planning on building one day. I hope that most of the engine's parts are fine, and that the gear box will only need new seals. This powertrain had 24.6k miles on it, so I will also plan on replacing the clutch while the engine is out of the bike. I hope that my total cost is going to be around $2k for the rebuild of the powertrain, and probably another $1.5k - $2k for getting everything painted.
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Looks like that one already filled out it's organ doner card and DNR order   :grin:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:32:11 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
A very nice score. Well done, that man. I know of a motor in a tonti frame, so that can be done, but I, for one, like the spine frame. The fairing is missing, too, but there are a couple of people around who make them. There was a cheap Bagster tank bra hanging around the market for ages, but that would be unlikely to save that tank.

Have lots of fun with this.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
A very nice score. Well done, that man. I know of a motor in a tonti frame, so that can be done, but I, for one, like the spine frame. The fairing is missing, too, but there are a couple of people around who make them. There was a cheap Bagster tank bra hanging around the market for ages, but that would be unlikely to save that tank.

Have lots of fun with this.

I actually have a yellow 1997, which was sitting under a tarp in the wood for about seven years. This bike was going to be my 1997 parts bike, since it needed a new ECU, Instrument cluster, tail light, handlebar grips, and other miscellaneous parts to get it going again, so this new parts bike will be the parts donor to get the other bike's restoration project going.

It took a lot of work getting this bike's engine running again, but I eventually finished servicing this bike. I needed to replace the fuel lines and the fuel pump, and the inside of the fuel tank was a mess...... But the engine fired up, and the gears shifted without any issues, so I now have everything needed to start building me a custom 1100 Sport. The biggest issue now will be to decide on what paint color and design I'm going to pick for this build. :)

96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
I'm the guy who could  break an original Vincent Black Shadow into a 1000 pieces if it meant more cash. Lot of people think this is monstrous behavior but the reality is its an inanimate object and I've realized the older I get it isn't bringing anyone back . Friends, family, health and the love of a good dog are what is important. The rest is just fluff.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
So, does it have a helical box?
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Online BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
Wow look at that tank

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
I don't remember the name of the WV dealership that this bike came from. I only remember that it closed its doors about six month ago.

No worries.  It's just that there has been no WV Guzzi dealer that's closed it's doors in the last 6 months.  Or 12 months.  Or 24. 

Enjoy your new bike.  Sounds like a good deal.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Colour? I like the yellow. I've a mate in NZ who did his carbed 1100 in white - stunning. (Sorry, the photos have been archived).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
No worries.  It's just that there has been no WV Guzzi dealer that's closed it's doors in the last 6 months.  Or 12 months.  Or 24. 

Enjoy your new bike.  Sounds like a good deal.

I could be wrong with the dates too..... The gentleman that I bought this bike from told me the name of the dealership, and that he was friends with the owner of that dealership, and that he bought this bike from him about six month ago. He told me that this bike had been sitting in a warehouse for almost ten years. Maybe I misunderstood that the dealership closed its doors six month ago, and maybe the dealership closed its doors four, six, or eight years ago, and the back then owner stored many items after the shop closed in a warehouse back then and sold off the last items stored there six month ago???? Maybe it was not an official Moto Guzzi dealer but a dealer working on Moto Guzzi's???? I probably should had taken better notes...... :) I did make sure that the title was clear and that the bike was not reported stolen years ago, which it wasn't. 
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
So, does it have a helical box?

Yes it does...... I'm trying to find out at what date / vin numbers that the changeover from straight cut to helical cut gears happened. I have two 1997 models, which were actually build in October of 1996. Both of those bikes have straight cut gears. The bike that I just bought has a March of 1997 assembly date listed on the DOT tag. I have one more bike sitting in the barn with an earlier vin number, but I don't know the manufacturing date or which gears they used. I'm going to look at that bike tomorrow, which should then narrow the changeover date hopefully down to maybe a month or less.  I will you know what I find out tomorrow.
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Sadly enough, some bikes must die so others can keep on living......
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 11:20:38 PM »
I know what I'd do with the Engine and Drivetrain . . .

Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling

Right on, my friend!

I have two complete 1997 1100 Sport spare complete powertrains. I'm going to use one setup for a custom 1100 Sport that I'm planning on building, so the second powertrain may end up in a Moto Guzzi trike bike one day.
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor

Wow! What a cool vehicle!

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Is that a kit car or just pure custom made?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Yes. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.

That's cool! Who makes it?
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here