Author Topic: California vs Eldorado Purchase  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Tonyblaze

• New Egg
California vs Eldorado Purchase
« on: July 13, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »
I've scoured the forum for old threads comparing the two bikes but wanted to know if anyone has any vital differences that should be taken into account when deciding. Coming from a Triumph Thunderbird Commander. Too heavy, too plain. I understand that that I may have to deal with the weight. I never fell in love with the bike and am looking for something I can swoon over. It's either the Eldorado in black or the California in Black/gold. If I get the Eldorado I am going to add the hard bags and back rest/seat from the California which is why I'm debating whether I should just by the ready made bike.
2018 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
2015 Triumph Thunderbird Commander
2014 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Suzuki SZ650R

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: California vs Eldorado Purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
It takes some work to adapt factory hard bags to an Eldo. If you want to tour, I'm inclined to suggest a Touring.

ZZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »
You're comparing the 1400 Eldorado, correct?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
I have the Eldo but have not ridden the California so I can't do a comparison however, I can give you some tips on the Eldo. The motor is excellent. It does shake at idle but once you get going it smooths out very well. Both bikes have the same motor. Plenty of power as I decided to tone it down from "veloce" to "turisma" as the engine braking is quite substantial especially when going downhill twisties. Braking: very good, both bikes Brembo. Handling would be different as I believe the California has different sized tires. Correct me if I am wrong. The Eldo handles very well for a heavy cruiser. I would suspect that it is one of the best handling large cruisers out there. Fit and finish would probably go to the California as the Eldo is "toned" down reminiscient of the old Eldo. As far as bags go, I have the leather "Bikes and Bags" from Italy. The previous owner installed them. It would not be the easiest job as the rear wheel would need to come off as one leg of the bracket ties into the top of the fender underside. The rest is easy as it hooks to the top shock mount and to the exhaust mount. They are quite spacious bags but I looked on their website and I couldn't find them. Moto Guzzi does make bags for the Eldo however they are leather and not hard. A matter of fact two of the major reasons I bought the Eldo is that I could trade in my Harley and the bike had bags as I like to travel. The Eldo comes with Dunlop American Elite tires and I just changed mine after 12,500 miles. They are quite good dual compound tires made in the USA with spoked tubeless wheels. And we all know how bad SoCal roads are. I get 38-44 miles a gal depending on what road I am on. One question to ask if you are buying from a dealer is how much they charge to replace the fork oil. The design of the Eldo's front forks are some of the worst that I have encountered for removal. Normally on most bikes, you undo the clinch bolts from top and bottom triple clamp and the whole fork slides out. Then you put it on the vises (with protection) and unscrew the fork cap; use a spring compressor and a wrench to remove the spacer and it comes apart. Not on the Guzzi. The problem is that the fork nut has a flange which prevents it from falling out of the triple clamp. It is a two person job to get a wrench under the fork nut and remove the fork nut. I managed to get the fork nut off the right side and the fork slid out but it is next to impossible get the upper leg (chrome) out of the left side. In other words, DON'T DO IT!" I am working on the Sachs shocks but there was another variety called "Kaifa". So, if you are a do-it-yourselfer don't mess with it. I really do like the bike otherwise I wouldn't be hassling with it. I think you'll like it too.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 02:57:35 PM »
Oh, btw here are those bags...

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »
I am still curious about a black and gold California?

I don't think I've ever seen the combination.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 06:28:37 AM »
2017 Nero California Touring was Black with a goldish panel on the tank?
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

elvisboy77

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 06:32:51 AM »
The different sizes of the wheels makes the Eldorado handle more "quickly".  The stock seat is very comfortable.  Lots of bag options, C-Bow by Hepco can mount any bag with their universal kit, and they have a mount for Eldo.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 06:47:06 AM »
I had the 2015 California tourer for two years.
After a lot of effort I made it into a reasonable tourer by fabricating decent lowers and adding an effective wind screen. However the bare truth is Moto guzzi does not offer a real touring bike in either of the 1400 lines.
A real factory touring bike comes with a full set of luggage, including a tour pack(or at least a rack of sorts) sufficient wind and element control, leg protection removable crash bar lowers, modern electronics including GPS option, which neither of these models offer.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
I tell you I could never look past the Eldorado if I was shopping a 1400..  It looks just so right!  I would have to shop bags though..  Nothing has really jumpped out on me yet on style though... but its not like Im buying one anyways.
Paul B

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 01:38:04 PM »
Looks like Tonyblaze is doing a hit & run thread. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »
2017 Nero California Touring was Black with a goldish panel on the tank?

thanks
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tonyblaze

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
Sorry folks, with this - I'm working so really long and wacky hours. Thanks for all of the replies. I won't be actually touring but need the bags for short day trips with the wife. Having no storage is not fun. I just sold my Triumph Thunderbird and never got bags for it. I like the California. It's a sharp bike. I could have gotten a great deal on a new one but I went for the Eldorado. Can't really explain why, just feels right. I know I'm going to whine and moan about cleaning the wheels and I'm going to have to add a sissy bar for the wife and figure out some kind of storage but I think I'm cool with that. I looked at the MG leather bags and swallowed my tongue when I saw the price. Really??
2018 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
2008 Suzuki SZ650R

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
Get some aftermarket bags like Cortech.  Chase Harper etc.  Easy on/off.  You can keep the original looks of the bike.  :thumb:  Good to hear you back.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 08:16:59 PM »
     Out of the 1400's the Eldorado is the one that rings my bell  :thumb:

I've seen the MG leather bag$$$ on the Eldorado, they are beautiful bags, but extremely wide looking,jmho.

I have both Cortech and Nelson Riggs soft bags, they're quality gear and very functional, might work well if you get a combo sissy pad/rack.

Leather bags really aren't my thing, but if you want nice looking leather bags that would really complement your bike, it might be worthwhile checking out some of the leather workers in your area.

Wishing you many safe miles on your new ride.

:bike-037:

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »
For two up, get the Cali. I had one for about 2 years and now I have the Eldo. I put the leather HB Buffalo bags on the Eldo and like that they come off easy for round town riding as does the windshield. For Touring the Cali, actually because of the seat again. Room for a big bag. The small pillion on the Eldo is about worthless for 2 up, although the Eldo is a better handling bike.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Tonyblaze

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 09:12:57 PM »
For two up, get the Cali. I had one for about 2 years and now I have the Eldo. I put the leather HB Buffalo bags on the Eldo and like that they come off easy for round town riding as does the windshield. For Touring the Cali, actually because of the seat again. Room for a big bag. The small pillion on the Eldo is about worthless for 2 up, although the Eldo is a better handling bike.

So what about the Eldo with the Cali seat?
2018 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
2008 Suzuki SZ650R

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 10:14:40 PM »
1400s can be made to work as a tour bike but the last factory tour bike offering was the Norge IMHO.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »
The CA Touring seat will bolt right on the Eldorado. It just isn’t as comfortable as the Eldorado seat for the rider.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »
1400s can be made to work as a tour bike but the last factory tour bike offering was the Norge IMHO.
GliderJohn
Correct👍

Offline Tonyblaze

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 07:18:22 AM »
Correct👍

Well, I'll have to say in the weird dynamics that is my life the wife's comfort is a primary concern. Took a leap of faith by buying the Eldorado instead of the Touring figuring I can pull this slight of hand off. I wear the pants in my house but they are only on lease.
2018 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
2008 Suzuki SZ650R

Offline Tonyblaze

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »
Update: She arrived today sans paperwork and tags that were mailed but SHE'S HERE!

2018 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
2008 Suzuki SZ650R

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
 :thumb:  On the seat, even if she has the most comfortable seat for pillion you'll be stopping a lot any way.  How often do you stop while driving 4 wheels?  How often did she ride with you before?  You'll really enjoy this bike.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 10:09:47 PM »
Tonyblaze,....good choice !
We [ Wife and i picked to Cali 1400 last year for the simple reason almost always 2 up and Trave ?  camping Gear to lug around.
I just wanted a 'finished' Bike  [Bags and all],Had my eye on the Audace,...Wife liked the Eldorado. ended up with Cali ,good Compromise,lol.

Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 03:28:39 AM »

Loved the looks of the Eldorado ( my wife loved it too ) but the pillion seat was a painful experience after 1/2 hr and mine not so great
after an hour . Tried my hand at seat making and upholstering ( quite the experience) and came up with these . She's good to go for
hours without stopping . That and some rear shock replacement has transformed this bike . Peter

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2020, 03:33:02 AM »

Another view , they don't look too bad , and strangely , other Eldorado owners don't even notice them ! Peter

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 06:03:51 AM »
Update: She arrived today sans paperwork and tags that were mailed but SHE'S HERE!

Congratulations. :thumb:

John Henry

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 07:49:58 AM »
Beautiful bike, now you can answer the challenge of getting her tour ready. 👍

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
So what about the Eldo with the Cali seat?

I have a 2014 California Touring, with the big tour pack on the back.  I purchased it from the original owner with a Corbin seat and the large (60 qt, I believe) tour pack. I sold the original "skunk" seat that came with my Cali to an Eldorado owner for his 2 up needs.  He really likes it, he also got the chrome grab bar from my bike as well. 

I have been very happy touring on my bike, but have to admit the appearance of the Eldorado is tough to beat!

Offline Tonyblaze

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »

Loved the looks of the Eldorado ( my wife loved it too ) but the pillion seat was a painful experience after 1/2 hr and mine not so great
after an hour . Tried my hand at seat making and upholstering ( quite the experience) and came up with these . She's good to go for
hours without stopping . That and some rear shock replacement has transformed this bike . Peter

That seat looks quite comfy. Great job!
2018 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
2008 Suzuki SZ650R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here