Author Topic: Ferrocene octane booster  (Read 815 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
Ferrocene octane booster
« on: November 11, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
Ferrocene is an iron compound used to replace tetraethyl lead. It's the active ingredient in Lucas octane booster. On the way home from Telluride a couple of weeks ago I got a bad tank of gas and had a little pinging, so I poured a few ounces of the Lucas stuff into the tank. It cured the pinging. I ran the tank down a couple of gallons and refilled with good 91 octane. Had a nice fast run over to Cedaredge on Sunday including a full-throttle blast up a short but steep hill.

Pulled the plugs today and was surprised to see a rust-colored deposit on all the steel surfaces except the center electrode. Turns out this is common with ferrocene additives. It's "normal" except that the iron deposit is conductive so eventually the buildup could reduce impedence between the electrodes. So I'll run out this tank and replace the plugs.

Anyone else have experience with this stuff?
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Rough Edge racing

Re: Ferrocene octane booster
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
 Another opinion on the rust color from another racer friend 
that orange color is characteristic of methyl tertiary butyl ether. it used to be a common octane booster in pump fuel and also in parts store bottles. it makes it hard to read the plug.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here