Author Topic: Tonti Timing after Timing Chain Transplant  (Read 1684 times)

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
Tonti Timing after Timing Chain Transplant
« on: September 25, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »
OK, here we go again. I am trying to set ignition timing on the G5 after replacing the timing chain. I am reading three different manuals, This Old Tractor and reading every post here and it won't fire. Every description has a different point of reference and technique. It was running rather good before I replaced timing chain. It is hard enough just figuring out what is right and left.
 On the compression stroke for the right cylinder, from the orientation when sitting on bike, using thumb over spark plug hole method, I have aligned with the "D" on the flywheel when viewed through the timing port. The lower set of points with the black wire in the distributor are open and set to the correct gap. There is gas in the tank.
 Is this correct so far or is my cam out of alignment with the crank, cuz it seems like the lower points are for the left cylinder.?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:30:59 PM by ozarquebus »
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Tonti Timing after Timing Chain Transplant
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 05:02:04 PM »
Bottom set is L/H and top set is R/H according to the V1000 SP/G5 manual I got.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »
John I have a copy of Guzziology in Pittsburg if you have a need
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 08:50:53 PM »
I should have the knowledge to get it done at this point, thankyou delrod.
 Since the left points are opening when the right piston is at TDC it must be 180 out.
Looks like I need to get a degree wheel and reinstall the timing chain. At least that will be easier since I just did it and I should have a thorough understanding when done.
  I was careful not to turn the cam independent of the crank, but somehow they must have gotten disoriented. I guess that is why they make the cam holding fixture that I did not use.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:54:43 PM by ozarquebus »
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 08:50:53 PM »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
Why can't you just take the chain off, rotate the cam 1 full turn & reinstall? Either that or rotate the crank 1/2 turn instead.

Sorry, I should have said 1/2 turn on either one. Brain fart.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:11:40 AM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
I didnt remove the distributor.
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
As the piston goes to TDC on the exhaust stroke the exhaust valve will be open, then it reaches TDC the exhaust valve will be closing but the inlet valve will be opening.
At TDC both valves will be open about the same amount Exhaust closing Inlet opening, get the chain out by 1 tooth and it will be quite obvious.
From TDC turn the motor 1 complete turn and at the next TDC the points for that cylinder have just opened.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »
I know why Antietam thinks my distributor is 180 off since I said engine is at TDC on compression opening left points with "D" on flywheel.

Is it correct to say that if sprocket marks are aligned on the timing chain asembly, then the cam to crank relationship must be correct?

Even though the crank spins twice for one revolution of the cam, to rotate either cam or crank one revolution independently will only bring you back to same setting.

Since dizzy was not removed and the bike ran ok before, then I must be an idiot and the motor is not not really be at TDC compression for the right cylinder
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 08:49:11 AM »
...and "right" side (D) means relative to when you're sitting on the bike.

Rich A

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 09:28:26 AM »
Straw, bamboo skewer, or chopstick in plug hole, watch intake valve, piston coming up valve closed. Make sure you are rotating engine in correct direction by using starter button and watching crank or flywheel rotate. Then rotate by hand using wrench on crank bolt or using rear wheel while in gear.. For me I have never been able to get this correct using thumb over spark plug hole. Too many variables. YMMV.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:40:24 AM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
Straw, bamboo skewer, or chopstick in plug hole, watch intake valve, piston coming up valve closed, make sure you are rotating engine in correct direction by using starter button and watching crank rotate. For I have never been able to get this correct using thumb over spark plug hole. Too many variables.. YMMV.

Brian
There you have it.  Looking in hole for marks on flywheel, the flywheel comes UP in the hole if you are doing it right. Dizzy is in correctly if the points face towards the rear.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
I always set the timing on the left cylinder. S cylinder. "S'not dis side.." Dis side is the distributor side or timing hole. Turn the engine in the direction of normal rotation. (Clockwise, looking from the front.) Watch the S cylinder's intake valve. When it opens and then starts to close, that piston is coming up on TDC ready to fire. At TDC, the initial timing mark on the flywheel should be visible in the porthole. Set that in the center of the porthole, and set the distributors points to fire the left cylinder. That will get you in the ball park, and final timing can be set with a timing light.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rutgery

• Hatchling
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
Maybe you remember from replacing the chain if the Left hand (LH) cylinder was in top dead center (TDC) when the chain sprocket marks lined up? If not, I'd do the following;

To check if the camshaft is in the correct position of the crank, rotate crank until the D mark is visible on the flywheel (center of looking hole).
The Right hand (RH) piston is now in TDC.
Remove the valve cover of the RH cylinder.
Check if the valves are both partially opened. They should be about equally opened with a correctly installed cam.

IF this is NOT the case, remove the sprocket&chain with the LH cylinder in TDC, rotate the crank until marks line up and reinstall the chain.

If this is the case, (valves both equally partially opened) Remove the distributor cover.
Reset the point gap to make sure.
Rotate the crank until the static timing mark for the D cylinder (line above TDC mark) is in the center of the looking hole.
Loosen the two lower distributor mount bolts.
Rotate the distributor so the RH point gap JUST opens, not to the correct clearance. This clearance should only be achieved if the point is on the top of the lobe.

Using these settings you'll know for certain that the point is opening at least fairly correctly and the bike should run. You can tune the ignition timing further by using a timing light but that won't change the running dramatically if the previous steps are done correctly.

Good luck with your G5!

PS: you haven't changed flywheel right? Different flywheels can have very different marks on them, not representative of your bike and distributor..
'82 Moto Guzzi G5
'89 V7 Sport replica from a Cali 3

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 06:28:05 PM »
     When I did the timing chain on my CX100 and tried to set my points the first time, I watched the valves, chopsticks, TDC etc.

I was having no success with the static timing and was so sure I screwed up, I reopened the timing chest to check my work with the chain and gears, it was fine.

KiwiRoy gave me some sound advice with the final fix.  :bow: :thumb:

I removed the distributor cover as well as the valve covers so I could see both the valves and the points working together.

Didn't take long watching the valves and points opening and closing, to get me back on track setting the timing on the right TDC stroke,lol.

Take a good look at it again before you reopen the timing chest. fwiw ymmv

Good luck

Kelly
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:14:47 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
The cylinders are numbered front to back , not left to right. The forward cylinder is #1.
#2 cylinder is where you set timing.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »
I don’t know what a G5 is, but does it look like this ?

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
Yes Huzo, exactly
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 08:34:22 PM »
Aren't the timing marks on the flywheel?
Who's to say the flywheel was put back in the right place, there are 6 possible positions.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »
"Even though the crank spins twice for one revolution of the cam, to rotate either cam or crank one revolution independently will only bring you back to same setting."

Spin the crank 1/2 turn.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 01:25:53 AM »
Yes Huzo, exactly
Can you identify that your marks are the same as these ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 01:37:38 AM »
"Even though the crank spins twice for one revolution of the cam, to rotate either cam or crank one revolution independently will only bring you back to same setting."

Spin the crank 1/2 turn.
Unless I’m misunderstanding..
The crank needs to be rotated one FULL turn if you wish to accomplish your goal. One crank revolution is half a combustion cycle.
However.
If your marks are the same as in my shot and the flywheel has not been disturbed, you should be ok.
Do this..
Bring your number 1 cylinder (left gearshift side) to TDC on the ignition stroke, use the straw method, you will get very close if you perservere.
Verify this by noting lash on both tappets for left cylinder.
In this condition the points should have JUST opened for the left cylinder, you are at full retard remember.
If your timing marks are as per photo ?
I cannot tell you more.
Check that you are rotating the crank in correct direction by pulling the plugs and watching the rotation of the rear wheel while turning the crank in gear.
Make sure you have the left coil and right coil correctly wired and the plug leads are not crossed.
Ensure that you have some clearance on the tappets at TDC.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 02:09:15 AM »
"The crank needs to be rotated one FULL turn if you wish to accomplish your goal. One crank revolution is half a combustion cycle."

Only if the cam is connected. A piston on one full turn still goes from TDC to TDC where it was to begin with. Whether it's on the power stroke or not depends on the cam.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 02:41:09 AM »
Late to the party here but answers are getting miles from the question.

OP changed the chain without touching the breaker housing or points themselves.
Obviosly the relationship between camshaft and ignition remained as it was.
So the variation in ignition timing could only be minute, the wear on the chain.
The bike should start and run, use strobe to verify ignition  timing as per routine service.

Or something has changed
1 Cam timing, verify dots line up
2 complete coincidence, something else happened, wire fallen off etc

I tend to think it’s 2.
There is a 3 , that valve timing WAS one tooth out before, ignition timed to suit , ignition would be miles out when valve timing corrected. But sweet running before suggests this is not the case.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 04:28:23 AM »
"The crank needs to be rotated one FULL turn if you wish to accomplish your goal. One crank revolution is half a combustion cycle."

Only if the cam is connected. A piston on one full turn still goes from TDC to TDC where it was to begin with. Whether it's on the power stroke or not depends on the cam.
Oh yes.
There is no doubt you are correct, sorry.
My point was that rotating half a revolution is not ok, but my statement was not correct as I presented it.

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »
The English translation is very simple:
"S" = Starter side, rear or #2 cylinder
"D" = Driveshaft side, front or #1 cylinder

As others have mentioned up thread, make sure you're rotating in the correct direction.  Turn the fastener on the front of the crankshaft with a ratchet set to "tighten," if you're standing on the Driveshaft side you will be pulling up on the wrench, while watching the valves on the cylinder of choice.  Intake valve opens and then closes, you're coming up to TDC on compression stroke.  Look for flywheel marks in the porthole, when the letter comes into view double check with plastic straw or flashlight in spark plug hole for piston position.  Slowly make one more revolution of the crankshaft while watching the flywheel marks in the porthole, to see where the timing mark is in relation to the letter, then continue rotating until your desired timing mark comes back into view.  (This will put you back on compression stroke, verify by watching valves & checking piston position.)  That should get you close enough for timing to get the engine running, fine tune with timing light.

Good luck!

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
IT RUNS!!!!! with the musical whir of a new banana damper against a new timing chain equal to a Verdi opera to my ears. I even took the allen wrench out of the rotor bolt before spinning it up.

Nothing was wrong. I did it right. Gas lines were kinked when I raised tank to get at points which prevented starting (what an idiot).
I also made error in finding TDC using the thumb over hole method.

The points gaps even remained in range and did not require adjustment.

Many thanks to all the responses, even the imperfect ones. They required thinking on my part as well.

Before undertaking this task I had several misconceptions and knowledge gaps about the mysteries of valve timing and ignition timing of the Guzzi Big Block.

Now, I am still no expert but its workings are fairly clear and it only took me 6 months.

You Wild Guzzi helpers are the best on the planet!

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you.
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
^^^^^We're always happy to see a satisfied customer. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
Guzzis will always run in the end..... :bike-037:

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 09:10:08 PM »
Late to the party here but answers are getting miles from the question.

OP changed the chain without touching the breaker housing or points themselves.
Obviosly the relationship between camshaft and ignition remained as it was.
So the variation in ignition timing could only be minute, the wear on the chain.
The bike should start and run, use strobe to verify ignition  timing as per routine service.

Or something has changed
1 Cam timing, verify dots line up
2 complete coincidence, something else happened, wire fallen off etc

I tend to think it’s 2.
There is a 3 , that valve timing WAS one tooth out before, ignition timed to suit , ignition would be miles out when valve timing corrected. But sweet running before suggests this is not the case.

Did I win the prize ?
Definitely counts as a 2

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 02:31:32 AM »
Did I win the prize ?
Definitely counts as a 2
Yes mate you win..
Saying it was definitely something else if it wasn’t that, was a stroke of lateral thinking that leaves me astonished.
You have a good grasp of the bleeding obvious.. :bow: :thumb:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here