Author Topic: Opening Rear Drive  (Read 832 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Opening Rear Drive
« on: October 26, 2021, 03:59:38 PM »
I need to open up my G5 rear drive to chase down an oil leak.  I’ve replaced the big outer oil seal (PN 45) and this didn’t fix it. I’m guessing I need to replace the smaller inner oil seal (PN 25).  I’ve tried to remove the cover (PN 41) after removing the bolts and washers and using some heat and fearful prying. but it isn’t budging.  Any tricks?

Thanks,  Ben

Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Opening Rear Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 04:05:29 PM »
I use a medium sized three-legged puller, with the jaws reversed (hooks pointed outward) to catch the bottom of the splines.
Charlie

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »
Thanks Charlie.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:13:08 AM »
Hey Scout,

FWIW, if you're digging back into your rear drive, you may want to check the overall condition of the "shim" #43.  I had been chasing a seep/leak on my LMIV when I finally determined that rust of the steel shim could be my problem.  The corrosion had eroded enough material that had resulted in a pathway of sorts for drive oil to leak out.  As I recall, I got a new shim through Harpers (no connection to seller), it was lightly oiled in a sealed Moto Guzzi baggie....no rust.  That was about 10 years ago and it hasn't leaked since. 

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:13:08 AM »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
Thanks Art. I’ll check the shim carefully. I really don’t want to go back in there more than once.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
I try not to disturb that shim pack and put it back exactly the way it was. If you do separate it, just makes sure it is the same thickness, same thickness shims and gaskets
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 05:19:20 PM »
John - does this mean do not replace the paper gaskets on either side of the shim and to reuse them?  Ben

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 06:31:11 PM »
Hey Scout,

FWIW, if you're digging back into your rear drive, you may want to check the overall condition of the "shim" #43.  I had been chasing a seep/leak on my LMIV when I finally determined that rust of the steel shim could be my problem.  The corrosion had eroded enough material that had resulted in a pathway of sorts for drive oil to leak out.  As I recall, I got a new shim through Harpers (no connection to seller), it was lightly oiled in a sealed Moto Guzzi baggie....no rust.  That was about 10 years ago and it hasn't leaked since. 

Art

When I replaced the shim (#43), I replaced it with one having the same exact thickness.  Also, even though the paper gaskets were "new" they had still been used once so I replaced them aswell because I didn't want to go in there again (plus, they're inexpensive) and there was no additional shipping charge for the gaskets being shipped to me with the shim.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:32:49 PM by guzziart »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 01:35:18 PM »
John - does this mean do not replace the paper gaskets on either side of the shim and to reuse them?  Ben

Depends on how they come apart, some will stick together with no sign of leakage and just need to be degreased on both contact surfaces and on those I use Locktite 516 flange sealant or similar. Not silicone, preference personal . If they are not about perfect, you are committed to replacing them. Some are shimmed with more than two gaskets and those usually stay together so if they are in good shape, I leave them. It depends on what it looks like when you get it apart.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 06:07:56 AM »
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_rear_drive___bevel_box_rebuilds.html
Here is a link to rear drive box page from Greg Benders site. Check especially Pete Ropers writings there
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 06:23:19 AM »
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_rear_drive___bevel_box_rebuilds.html
Here is a link to rear drive box page from Greg Benders site. Check especially Pete Ropers writings there

Thanks John:

I think I’ll pull the wheel today and take a look.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here