Author Topic: For you current and past Quota owners, how does it compare to other Guzzis?  (Read 5610 times)

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
There is something about the Quota that really appeals to me. I certainly don't need one but when is that ever a valid reason not to get a certain bike? One recently came up for sale near me at a decent price which has really got me thinking.

I have no plans to go offroading or riding to Alaska so this would just be used as a street bike.

I really love the look of the '90s and early 2000 sporty Guzzis. But, I'm a big guy with bad knees so a tall bike with generous leg room makes more sense for me.

Anyway, for you present and past Quota owners, how would you compare them to other Guzzis you have owned or ridden?
North Carolina

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Bought my Quota on 5-30-14 with 37,664 miles on it and sold it on 11/1/14 with 42,167 miles. The bike was comfy and handled very well. Had it on the tail of the dragon and was pleasantly surprised at its ability. The long travel suspension is also very nice while touring.

The downside is wind noise is unbearable even with earplugs. Wind buffeting is bad unless you fit Gustafson tank wings. The worst thing is the Quota sucks fuel like a NHRA drag car. Even riding easily on the BRP it will garner mid 30s at the highest. Stock exhaust and some of the rims were know to crack.

I have replaced the Quota w/ a DR650 and am not unhappy.

YMMV
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:52:14 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
I love mine. In fact this is my second one. I have 3 other guzzi's and this one is my daily rider. The wide handlebar and narrow wheels let you really throw it around. The stock rear rim is the one to look at. The front rims are fine. Gas mileage isn't great I get mid 30's and I have a lead wrist, but I also have a PCIII. I have never noticed any wind noise or buffeting but I'm a big guy so maybe my head is above the turbulent zone?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I was the keeper of Darth Quota for a while. With Conti Trail attacks, it was a much better handling bike in the canyons than you would expect. In a previous life, it was the Guzzitech commuter, and got 50mpg on the expresway. I know. No one believes that, but it did. After making a mod to quiet it down a little, it was running pig rich, and got in the high 30s/low 40s. It had a modded intake, PC, Jackal headers, homemade 2 into 1 and a FMF "muffler". It was a *great* touring bike, the long travel suspension just ate up rough roads. As mentioned, helmet turbulence sucked, about like the Centauro. Many think it is Guzzi's best touring bike. It is at least one of the best..but way too tall for me.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
Stock seat and my bum didn't get along so I had a custom one made up. Aerodynamics sucked as bad as the mileage.

In the end I had an offer to buy shortly after I got the Griso and let her go. Some days I miss her, other days, not so much. So many quirky things between the Fuel injection, instrument panel, plastics becoming unobtainium - I wanted to do more riding than trying to keep her on the road.

I do miss the tall seat, wide bar and unique look. The Griso makes up for it with huge power. And the Russell Day Long.  ;D

A Honda XR650L replaced her for dirt use and at about 200lbs less she is still too heavy. After several years of ownership I'd should have gotten the DRZ400 (or the DR650).

But there are times I think about getting another. sigh....
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
I've had a Quota for a couple seasons now and 6k miles, most of that pulling a sidecar. My frame of reference is the airhead BMWs, and compared to the R100GS it's about 10% more of everything- 10% more power, fuel, weight, etc.. It's a great highway bike being quite comfortable, and seems to be a lot sturdier built that the airheads, which seem to be right at their limits with a sidecar. 
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
 here is some great reading someone here posted a while back http://www.odd-bike.com/2014/04/moto-guzzi-v-twin-off-roaders.html
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero

I've had 2 Quota's and they are absolute hoot to ride. ;-T

They are not really capable of true "dirt riding", afterall, its a big fat rhino. Great for fire roads and gravel. However on the normal road it has lots of ground clearance, its fast and fun on twisties, while being easy to ride due to massive torque.
It can be loaded with hundreds of pounds of camping gear, 2 on, it will take you faithfully anywhere. I've done many 2K-3K trips with it. Even over 900 miles in a day.
Seat sucks, there are 2 versions of it. Narrow one and wider one. Wider is better, but it still sucks. I bought Alaska leather sheepskin's and now its much better.

Gas mileage? Not really important for me, but it is in range of 35-40mpg. Bike is happy on highway at 70-80mph. goes like a tank.

Buffeting is rediculous, but greatly improved with Gustafson tank deflectors. Which by the way break every single time you lay your bike down. Me being often in the woods and dirt, end up buying quite a few Gustafson deflectors.
I've tried Gustafson 9+ windshield and few others, no good. Finally got Laminar lip and it helped a lot.

Great bike to do long distance. Knees will not lock up as they do on my 1000S.

Quota's have quite a few things you must sort out, but once thats done, its a bulletproof bike.

Did I mention already, thats its an absolute hoot to ride on twisties!!! ;-T ;-T ;-T

Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline NorthRider

• Gaggle Mentor
Bought my Quota on 5-30-14 with 37,664 miles on it and sold it on 11/1/14 with 42,167 miles. The bike was comfy and handled very well. Had it on the tail of the dragon and was pleasantly surprised at its ability. The long travel suspension is also very nice while touring.

The downside is wind noise is unbearable even with earplugs. Wind buffeting is bad unless you fit Gustafson tank wings. The worst thing is the Quota sucks fuel like a NHRA drag car. Even riding easily on the BRP it will garner mid 30s at the highest. Stock exhaust and some of the rims were know to crack.

I have replaced the Quota w/ a DR650 and am not unhappy.

YMMV
Pretty much sums up my experience as well. It was NOT a trail bike at 500+ pounds and whenever I took to Q out on UP adventures, I ended up thinking to myself. "If I drop this thing way out here, no one is going to find me till hunting season".
So I replaced it with a DR650 and then replaced the DR with a KL250 Super Sherpa.
So for the road work I take the Buell. For the trails, I take the KL.
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2008 Honda Goldwing
1992 Honda Nighthawk

"What is that"?
  "It is a Italian Enigmatic Poly-cylinder dual sport".
"Huh"?
  "A Moto Guzzi Quota".
"What"?

father guzzi obrian

I was the keeper of Darth Quota for a while. With Conti Trail attacks, it was a much better handling bike in the canyons than you would expect. In a previous life, it was the Guzzitech commuter, and got 50mpg on the expresway. I know. No one believes that, but it did. After making a mod to quiet it down a little, it was running pig rich, and got in the high 30s/low 40s. It had a modded intake, PC, Jackal headers, homemade 2 into 1 and a FMF "muffler". It was a *great* touring bike, the long travel suspension just ate up rough roads. As mentioned, helmet turbulence sucked, about like the Centauro. Many think it is Guzzi's best touring bike. It is at least one of the best..but way too tall for me.

I had Darth Quota for several months while Ed Milich was working on my Cal SS, the battery was always low if you did not keep it running on the freeway, and if you rode it hard in the twisties and used the rear brake, the old fluid would heat up and you lost the rear brake. It also steered like a boat, as in you needed to start turning a bit before you needed to compared to other guzzi's.  It was bullet proof, you could not hurt it, and if it fell over, nothing even got scratched.  It would wheelie reluctantly, and was comfortable if you fit it, a bit slower than the average guzzi and setting up the TB was an art.  However, I would not hesitate to have driven Darth across country with who knows how many miles it had on it.  I followed it back to its first owner in California, Wallis Sholar who had it grenade with titanium push rods in it, and it was then passed around like a $3 whore.  It could not be killed.  Chuck made the only improvements in it during its tenure in So Cal, but again, it was fully bullet proof..... As a touring bike, if it fit you, it was great, smooth and comfortable.  It was not too tall for folks of normal height ~;

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: For you current and past Quota owners, how does it compare to other Guzzis?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
I had Darth Quota for several months while Ed Milich was working on my Cal SS, the battery was always low if you did not keep it running on the freeway, and if you rode it hard in the twisties and used the rear brake, the old fluid would heat up and you lost the rear brake. It also steered like a boat, as in you needed to start turning a bit before you needed to compared to other guzzi's.  It was bullet proof, you could not hurt it, and if it fell over, nothing even got scratched.  It would wheelie reluctantly, and was comfortable if you fit it, a bit slower than the average guzzi and setting up the TB was an art.  However, I would not hesitate to have driven Darth across country with who knows how many miles it had on it.  I followed it back to its first owner in California, Wallis Sholar who had it grenade with titanium push rods in it, and it was then passed around like a $3 whore.  It could not be killed.  Chuck made the only improvements in it during its tenure in So Cal, but again, it was fully bullet proof..... As a touring bike, if it fit you, it was great, smooth and comfortable.  It was not too tall for folks of normal height ~;

And from what I understand Ed blew the motor and a donor motor was added. I think we are all talking about the same bike. Urban legend, water cooler talk........... IDK.

What I do know is I don't regret selling the Quota but would not hesitate to buy another ???
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 05:32:45 PM »
It could not be killed.  Chuck made the only improvements in it during its tenure in So Cal, but again, it was fully bullet proof....

Oh, yeah.. I fixed a *lot* of stuff on old Darth.. He'd been beat almost to death, but not submission.  ;D My last ride was from SoCal to the Oregon nationals with a bent front wheel, a mere 1300 mile jaunt. No problemo. Could hardly tell it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline nowgrn4

• Gaggle Mentor
  • It's not how fast you go, it's how little you slow
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 06:40:20 PM »
I've had mine 13 years. Still runs like a scalded cat. Never been in the shop. I'm getting 37-40 MPG two up. The only mod I haven't done is the Yamaha headlight swap. We love it, very comfy two up riding. We ride it almost every weekend this time of year. Mostly lunch runs up in Ocala N.F.

" Ride to Eat, Eat to Live" :P
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo271/jonesinkguy/lumix0509039.jpg

00' Quota
00' Miata
 "To add speed,add lightness"
                       Colin Chapman

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here