General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Guzzi 1100 custom build

<< < (27/32) > >>

buzzer:
I finished the throttle off...  I had to make the adjusters as they needed to be a custom size.  I also used cycle gear cable as the nice thing about it is the outer wire is longitudinal, which has several advantages, the one being that you can cut it so the inner liner can extend into the adjusters and into the throttle which makes the entire run of the inner cable within the liner.  I was very pleased with the light action, and only a 1/4 of a turn closed to open.  We all know a fast action throttle adds 20 BHP ;D

I know that I should use suppressed leads, but I prefer to use copper cored ones. they are easy to make up and you can make them to the spot on length. I have had that crimp tool 50 years!

one of the things I wanted to do was get rid of the rubber frame bungs… so I turned up some alloy ones. I needed some alloy bar, so I popped into my local metal recyclers… he had several skips of alloy round bar and machined square and oblong billets, all different sizes… many marked on the end with the material specification! They were just about to be taken away so I had to be quick, I really had to restrain myself though, it was like Christmas had come early!

buzzer:
Things don't always go to plan... I tried to starts it... I had a spark, and lots of backfires, but it would not run. I checked a few things and came to the conclusion it was the pickups... I wasn't sure if it was the actual hall sensors, or the magnets and spacing. I decided to try the magnets and spacing first, and it turned out to be that. not sure if it was the strength of the magnets, or the spacing (I suspect it was the spacing) but either way I had to re design the rotor. soon as I did this, it fired up and settled to a nice tickover. I also breathed a sigh of relief as I had put a lot of effort into the exhaust and didn't know what it would sound like! To me it sounded awesome! here is a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4z1kqUoEVk

Huzo:
I need to approach things a bit more like you do Buzz.
As Canuck said, that work is just awesome, without the Teutonic look that those Kaffeemaschine guys go for, they have all the taste of a wooden spoon.
Certainly there will always be varying approaches regarding taste, but your work is beautiful, semi understated British and just fantastic.
I could not produce your standard of finish, but it is the direction that any would be creator of motorcycle art should go.
Sort of like Bimota meets Moto GP or WSBK…. :bow: :thumb:

buzzer:
Thanks Huzo!

the fuel tap proved to be a challenge. It couldn’t go on the tank, but I also didn’t want to on show. In the end I made a small bracket and mounted it out of sight.

I popped into the paint supplier where my mate works… he persuaded me to try some new lacquer which he said the customers were raving about… I reluctantly agreed to try it. Although I had prepped the tank, I thought I would try it on the mudguard first… I am glad I did! It was easy enough to spray, and gave a nice gloss from the gun, BUT it took almost two hours before it was dust free… That may be ok in a heated, dust free paint booth, but in my garage its a distinct disadvantage. So its back to what I know and I went back for some of the formula I always use!

Canuck750:
I like your choice of colour on the great bikes you build. Have you ever thought of building a Laverda special? Orange is the perfect colour for a Laverda. With your exceptional skill set the result would send the Laverda guys drooling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version