Author Topic: 1973 V7 Sport Cylinder Relining Millennium  (Read 16268 times)

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
Re: 1973 V7 Sport Cylinder Relining Millennium
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2022, 03:12:56 PM »
Somebody replaced your rear main seal at some point.
Chrome flakes are likely embedded in your bearings, they will need to be replaced. I’ve got a new 1under front, I’ll sell for cheap.
Best to take your crank to a machine shop and have them inspect/measure for you. Might polish out (doubtful), might need to re-grind.

Yeah I'll get one to take a look at it. Yes the rear main seal is fairly new but I have another. But I guess a new bearing is in order.

How do I know whether to use standard or oversized... and 1 under means?

Sorry.. and thank you!

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2022, 03:33:32 PM »
The machinist will have to inspect and measure with a micrometer.1st over  means that the new bearing is slightly oversized and matches what has been machined off.

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »
The machinist will have to inspect and measure with a micrometer.1st over  means that the new bearing is slightly oversized and matches what has been machined off.

Ok so the machine shop will let me know what size based upon any work they do to it?

Thanks again.

czakky82

« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2022, 03:50:53 PM »
Ok so the machine shop will let me know what size based upon any work they do to it?

Thanks again.
Yes, it’s best to have the bearings in hand so they can grind to that size.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2022, 03:50:53 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2022, 03:55:57 PM »
Yes, it’s best to have the bearings in hand so they can grind to that size.

I've never sent the bearings along with any crank I've had ground. I simply provide them with a copy of the pertinent pages from the shop manual, they determine what undersize is needed, and then grind the crank to those specs.
Charlie

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2022, 05:53:47 PM »
You've made some headway.

Some tool thoughts.

If you need a 2 or 3 leg puller, check your local auto parts to see if they have one for loan or rent.

For something to hold the crank from turning, at least while the flywheel is on, a scrap bit of metal with two holes drilled in it. Use like this and set for the direction you are turning. You want to pull the bolts apart, not push together. Last bolt use a screwdriver in the ring gear:

For the clutch install, you can use the trans input shaft splined hub and the appropriate bolt.

A note for the clutch install. There should be an arrow on the lip of your flywheel. If you look at my pic you will see a black line that is lined up with the arrow. That line is exactly between two teeth that the pressure plate slides down in. There is a stamped dot on the pressure plate, it goes exactly in line with the arrow, between the two teeth. This lines up the spring location holes.

Another FYI. The arrow is for TDC LH side. When you put the crank and bearings in, turn the crank so that it is fully up on the LH side in the hole for the cylinder.. Then slide the flywheel on with the arrow lined up at the LH little nib cast into the block. The bolt holes should just about be lined up, maybe a half bolt hole or less. Line up and install at least one bolt to keep in place. Double check the your work, it will be obvious if you picked the wrong bolt hole. You might want to mark the crank and flywheel with a dab of paint or a sharpie. This will keep your timing marks correct.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tom
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 06:07:02 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »
A timing chain tip that helps at least me.

Before you remove the timing chain and gears. Line up the timing marks on the gears. This will be TDC LH. Then paint or sharpie a line on each gear from a link on the chain to the gear.

When you go to install the chain and gears. Put the cam and crank gear on and see where the marks line up. Remove gears or gear and rotate the crank or cam as needed to line up the marks. Remove gears without moving the cam or crank.

Then lay out your chain on a table. Set all the gears into the chain lining up the paint marks. Then sorta wind up the chain on the gears so that you can pick them up as a complete set. You'll understand this after dropping them a few times.

Then put the crank gear on just a little in the correct place for the key way. The sorta unwind the chain/gears so that the gears will slide on the shafts and slide the cam gear on and also the oil pump gear.

Once the gears are aligned on the keys on the cam and crank shafts, your paint marks should all be lined up. If not, remove and adjust as needed.

The oil pump key way can be aligned by rotating the oil pump shaft, then slide the key in after the gear is on.

Hope this helps,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »
You've made some headway.

Some tool thoughts.

If you need a 2 or 3 leg puller, check your local auto parts to see if they have one for loan or rent.

For something to hold the crank from turning, at least while the flywheel is on, a scrap bit of metal with two holes drilled in it. Use like this and set for the direction you are turning. You want to pull the bolts apart, not push together. Last bolt use a screwdriver in the ring gear:

For the clutch install, you can use the trans input shaft splined hub and the appropriate bolt.

A note for the clutch install. There should be an arrow on the lip of your flywheel. If you look at my pic you will see a black line that is lined up with the arrow. That line is exactly between two teeth that the pressure plate slides down in. There is a stamped dot on the pressure plate, it goes exactly in line with the arrow, between the two teeth. This lines up the spring location holes.

Another FYI. The arrow is for TDC LH side. When you put the crank and bearings in, turn the crank so that it is fully up on the LH side in the hole for the cylinder.. Then slide the flywheel on with the arrow lined up at the LH little nib cast into the block. The bolt holes should just about be lined up, maybe a half bolt hole or less. Line up and install at least one bolt to keep in place. Double check the your work, it will be obvious if you picked the wrong bolt hole. You might want to mark the crank and flywheel with a dab of paint or a sharpie. This will keep your timing marks correct.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tom

Thank you!!!

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2022, 08:51:53 PM »
A timing chain tip that helps at least me.

Before you remove the timing chain and gears. Line up the timing marks on the gears. This will be TDC LH. Then paint or sharpie a line on each gear from a link on the chain to the gear.

When you go to install the chain and gears. Put the cam and crank gear on and see where the marks line up. Remove gears or gear and rotate the crank or cam as needed to line up the marks. Remove gears without moving the cam or crank.

Then lay out your chain on a table. Set all the gears into the chain lining up the paint marks. Then sorta wind up the chain on the gears so that you can pick them up as a complete set. You'll understand this after dropping them a few times.

Then put the crank gear on just a little in the correct place for the key way. The sorta unwind the chain/gears so that the gears will slide on the shafts and slide the cam gear on and also the oil pump gear.

Once the gears are aligned on the keys on the cam and crank shafts, your paint marks should all be lined up. If not, remove and adjust as needed.

The oil pump key way can be aligned by rotating the oil pump shaft, then slide the key in after the gear is on.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Thank you!! I'll know when I get the bell housing off but I think one is the early ones without the chain. We'll see!

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2022, 08:59:20 PM »
Thank you!! I'll know when I get the bell housing timing cover off but I think one is the early ones without the chain. We'll see!

The timing chain started with engine 33448.
Charlie

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2022, 09:23:26 PM »
The timing chain started with engine 33448.

Yup... like I thought... Mine's 32160

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2022, 09:32:42 PM »
Then it looks like you have gears, not chain. My apologies.

There should be "factory" painted marks on the teeth of the gears. IIRR, the cam has a mark that covers two teeth and the crank just on one tooth. Maybe the other way around.

Much easier than the chain!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2022, 08:49:31 AM »
Then it looks like you have gears, not chain. My apologies.

There should be "factory" painted marks on the teeth of the gears. IIRR, the cam has a mark that covers two teeth and the crank just on one tooth. Maybe the other way around.

Much easier than the chain!!
Tom

Thank you!!!

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »
Make sure you clean the sludge trap.  It’s best to use a new plug.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2022, 10:37:54 AM »
So got back in town and the alternator tool and gear pullers had arrived. Used the alternator tool today, but no go... it goes all the way in until the cap is at the front of the alternator... but alternator doesn't budge... any ideas???

I wanted to add that I already have everything off the rear of the crank… is that why? Do I need to put something back on or in the rear of it?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:00:02 AM by Richiez22908 »

czakky82

« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2022, 11:00:41 AM »
Something’s not right. Where’s the original rotor bolt?

There are two sets of threads one set in the rotor, the other set in the crank. The tool is just a hardened piece of steel that stops the bolt from going to the rotor but engages the rotor threads. Make sense?

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2022, 11:01:08 AM »
I want to know why as well??

The tools tip should bottom out in the nose of the crank shaft with some threads still showing. Snug up firmly and give it a rap with a hammer. Repeat as needed.  Be prepared to catch the rotor as it flies off.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2022, 11:01:46 AM »

I've always used this piece with the original bolt.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2022, 11:08:47 AM »

Yeah seems weird that it wouldn't bottom out sooner and push the alternator off.

But I see what you mea about two sets of threads... the regular bolt threads thru the first set then into the second deeper set. So maybe I do just need that little push rod instead.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:16:08 AM by Richiez22908 »

czakky82

« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2022, 11:15:56 AM »
I see now. What’s the diameter of that tool?

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
I see now. What’s the diameter of that tool?

Here it is:
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/boalt-rotor642tool.htm

The tip is 10mm diameter. Wrong one assumedly?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2022, 11:21:04 AM »

Yeah seems weird that it wouldn't bottom out sooner and push the alternator off.

But I see what you mea about two sets of threads... the regular bolt threads thru the first set then into the second deeper set. So maybe I do just need that little push rod instead.

I have the same tool (except black oxide) and have used it dozens of times, never had it go in that far, always worked. I have had the "fun" of removing one of those short pieces that was jammed into the nose of a crank. You should not need anything but the tool.
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »
Here it is:
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/boalt-rotor642tool.htm

The tip is 10mm diameter. Wrong one assumedly?

The tip can't be 10 mm - the threaded portion is M8-1.25 and it's smaller than that.
Charlie

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2022, 11:23:27 AM »
I have the same tool (except black oxide) and have used it dozens of times, never had it go in that far, always worked. I have had the "fun" of removing one of those short pieces that was jammed into the nose of a crank. You should not need anything but the tool.

Yeah something's off... hopefully with the tool and not the motor, lol.

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
Yeah something's off... hopefully with the tool and not the motor, lol.

You're right... sorry about 6mm

Do I need to put anything back in or on the back of the crank?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:26:30 AM by Richiez22908 »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »
You're right... sorry about 6mm

Do I need to put anything back in or on the back of the crank?

Having the parts off the back shouldn't have any effect. However, it wouldn't hurt to slip the rear main bearing back in place a little to help support the crank while you finish disassembly.
Charlie

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »
So sorry all and thank you of quick responses.... but its fine.

I put it all the way in again and then used some elbow grease and it turned another quarter turn and the alternator popped right off.

Sorry again... just got nervous and didn't want to break anything... that last quarter turn felt a lot more like bottoming out... the rest of the way was so smooth.

Thank you again!!!

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2022, 11:35:29 AM »
Better to be cautious than break parts. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2022, 11:55:42 AM »
Better to be cautious than break parts.

I appreciate your understanding. Fortunately everything on this bike has come apart cleanly... so I was probably more resistant to pushing my luck this time.

Hoping it all goes together as well!

Offline Richiez22908

• Hatchling
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2022, 12:10:36 PM »
So aside from the marks that are already there, and the picture I took to look back on, anything else I need to mark here or take note of before taking the gears off and the crank out?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here