General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

750S The Build is Done

(1/50) > >>

canuck750:
I have been posting up various pics of the progress of the 750S I am starting to work on, going to put the progress here for those that have an interest.

The bike was imported from Germany into Canada a while back, not sure when, the fellow who imported the bike bought a lot of parts from TLM and Stien Dinse way back when and replaced the forks, wheel, brakes, cylinders, crank, bearings, rear drive, shocks, signal lights, switch gear, head and tail light and all the wiring, plus a lot more. The bike was probably salvage from a crash, blow up or both. The steering tube is really bent so I am pretty sure it went down hard once in its life. Tank and tool boxes have been poorly repainted but are rust free and the frame was painted red. It looks Ok from 10 feet away but it is pretty worn out,

Both crash bars are pretty scraped up, the right cylinder has a home made exhaust flange retainer, and the previous owner added funky turn signal indicators to the instrument bezel.

It has a bizarre rear tail light and signal light assembly, not stock

Big ass horn and repro swan necks

850T3 era rear drive

The strip down is not revealing too much I had not expected, other than the bent steering stem, all the bearings are full of dirt and water, seals are shot, hoses are soft, chrome and plating flaking off and all in all a 'Project'.

It all comes apart and gets cleaned, degreased, bead blasted and sorted for painting, zinc plating, chrome and repair or replacement.

Filling a big box of junk

Giladorni cylinders look good,

Charlie supplied a right hand replacement head with good exhaust threads, I found a good set of front and back Borrani rims, cleaned the hubs, replaced the bearings, polished the spokes and nipples and relaced the wheels

Carbs cleaned, parts replaced and rebuilt

Wet sanded the slide faces smooth with 600 grit

Forks have been stripped, tubes are great, dampers are crap, new FAC's and progressive springs will go in after I polish up the lowers.

Swing arm bearings are pitted, the U joint is sloppy, boot is worn out. rear brakes have rock hard shoe surfaces and the internals are full of muck.

Work is going to get real busy this spring so I am aiming to get it all striped, cleaned and boxed to reassemble as time permits. Most of the parts I need have been sourced before the Canadian dollar collapsed under low oil prices so at least I won't break the bank on this one. I have been lucky to find a correct set of rear shocks, head light, signals, swan necks, switch gear, gauges, fuse box, rear drive and all the other little things to make it right.

I had started to accumulate parts to build a tribute from a 850T before this came along so I have an original late V7 tank and original 750S tool boxes already painted in the green stipe scheme.

More to come, slowly I think

nick949:
It's wonderful that bikes like that end up in your hands Jim. By the time you're finished it will be a real treasure (as long as some wombat doesn't drain it and display it in their living room).

It makes me realize just how lucky I was with mine. I've now put about 20,000kms on it and it continues to run well.

Oh yes - and it's good to see that you hit your thumb too from time to time.  It makes the rest of us feel more human.

Nick

canuck750:

--- Quote from: nick949 on January 23, 2016, 12:48:30 PM ---It's wonderful that bikes like that end up in your hands Jim. By the time you're finished it will be a real treasure (as long as some wombat doesn't drain it and display it in their living room).

It makes me realize just how lucky I was with mine. I've now put about 20,000kms on it and it continues to run well.

Oh yes - and it's good to see that you hit your thumb too from time to time.  It makes the rest of us feel more human.

Nick

--- End quote ---

Thanks Nick, I think you got one heck of a deal with your 750S!

motogman:

--- Quote from: nick949 on January 23, 2016, 12:48:30 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Isn't Jim a dentist (I might be wrong here)?  How do you know that thumb wasn't from a patient biting down?    :grin:

really nice work Jim.  I really appreciate your posts.   :bow: :bow:

mantaray:
Wow another project ........Yummi    :food:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version