Author Topic: Wheel Centering  (Read 599 times)

Offline Jens_L

• New Egg
Wheel Centering
« on: January 23, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
Hi fellow Guzzisti,

As I am assembling my bike, I noticed that the weel isn't perfectly centered. I bought a kit from HMB guzzi to be able to center the front wheel precisely:

https://hmb-guzzi.de/Front-wheel-flange-set-narrow-version-LM-1-LM-3-750-S3-etc
Now The wheel has enough free play  , but it does not look very centered ( and I cannot push in the bearing any further on one side to move the weel.)

What is your opinion, does this look ok, or is there too little play on one side?

Thanks!

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Wheel Centering
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 11:09:32 AM »
Model?
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Jens_L

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 12:33:22 PM »

Online acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:54:18 PM »
looks like you could have a fraction shaved off the spacer but that doesn't look awful to me. looks like maybe 30 or 40 thousandths? Maybe obvious but is the wheel in the right way? the flange with the circlip should be adjacent to the spacer. They are the "controlled" dimensions.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:54:18 PM »

Offline Jens_L

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 02:11:04 AM »
looks like you could have a fraction shaved off the spacer but that doesn't look awful to me. looks like maybe 30 or 40 thousandths? Maybe obvious but is the wheel in the right way? the flange with the circlip should be adjacent to the spacer. They are the "controlled" dimensions.

The flanges from the HMB Kit do not contain any grooves for a circlip. I mounted the brake calipers and noticed at one side the disc is more or less centered while on the other side the disc scrapes the caliper. The only possible explanation seems that the flanges cause the disc not to be centered. ( the wheel seems centered between the forks actually). I'm puzzled.   

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 04:33:22 AM »

Quote from: Jens_L on Today at 08:11:04 AM
The flanges from the HMB Kit do not contain any grooves for a circlip. I mounted the brake calipers and noticed at one side the disc is more or less centered while on the other side the disc scrapes the caliper. The only possible explanation seems that the flanges cause the disc not to be centered. ( the wheel seems centered between the forks actually). I'm puzzled. 
___________________ ___________________ __

My LM2 has a series of thin shims behind the calipers to align them with the discs. I assumed they were a factory fit? but either way, without they would not be so central.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:35:24 AM by Dukedesmo »
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Jens_L

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 07:12:59 AM »

Quote from: Jens_L on Today at 08:11:04 AM
___________________ ___________________ __

My LM2 has a series of thin shims behind the calipers to align them with the discs. I assumed they were a factory fit? but either way, without they would not be so central.

That actually sounds very logical, Thank you for that advice, will check in the evening!

Online acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 11:08:31 AM »
yes but the shims on mine were under both discs, that would move both discs if the shims are added, if the HMB kit doesn't have the circlip then what is the reference for the bearings? You are relying on the accuracy of the machining to keep the bearings aligned, there is also tolerance between the central spacer and the outer bearing carriers, maybe the machining accuracies of the HMB parts are good, but what about the hub? tolerances can stack up and cause pressure on the bearings. I assume that is all allowed for, which makes me thin maybe the hub machining is out. Either way there are tolerances, and since the discs are not aligned either the wheel stackup or the spacing of the calipers will need adjustment, just one of those things, something is out and needs adjustment, it doesn't really matter where if everything is going together OK. One thing I would check is that the central spacer inside the wheel is not putting pressure on the bearing races, It should be snug, able to move but not sloppy, When the wheel is assembled with the discs. On the flanges with the circlip, the opposite side bearing can be moved to adjust for tolerances.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 07:38:15 PM »
  The shims referred to earlier were in fact between the brake caliper and fork tube (at the mounting boss).
  I've seen them on the 2 different Le Mans 2 that I've worked on . Peter

Online acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 08:47:22 AM »
interesting, mine did not have caliper shims but I don't suppose it matters if the calipers are shimmed or the discs.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here