Author Topic: Typical Price For First Service  (Read 6153 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Typical Price For First Service
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2022, 09:41:43 AM »
Are you sure that’s the correct direction ?
It’s clockwise on the big block

I didn't feel like arguing that one last year, and I don't get around to smallblock valve checks very often since I spread my miles out over the years. But I'm about 99% certain that, viewed from the front of the bike, the smallbock engine rotates CLOCKWISE while running.

I made marks on the front engine face and the crankshaft nut and use that to turn my Mk I motor when setting valves (always have, just like on my big block Breva 1100 and Jackal 1100 before it).

Even though I've marked the crank, I still have to watch the valves to make sure I'm on TDC of compression and not intake, and I've always watch them open and close in the correct order - meaning Exhaust closes and as it is closing the Intake opens.

If I was turning the crankshaft and therefore valve train backwards, would that not be reversed?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMETeTblQfI

See about the 10 - 12 minute marks.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it this time.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2022, 09:45:16 AM »
I think is one of the best thing you can do ,develop a relationship with the dealer it may be 450 it may be 650 but is probably well worth it.

I once felt this way.

I went out of my way to use two different Guzzi dealers to purchase new bikes (AND PAY MORE FOR THEM BECAUSE OF IT, at least one of them SIGNIFICANTLY).

BOTH ARE OUT OF BUSINESS NOW

The latter of the two (that I bought TWO NEW BIKES FROM) also let me down when I DID need him.

Nope, I'm out.

I've now bought other bikes at such a discount that if I have to THROW ONE AWAY SOMEDAY I will break even or be better off not having wasted my money with another one.

I'd LOVE to have a dealer I can trust (somewhere in the same or at least an adjacent state).

I don't.

It's not up to me to try and make that happen anymore.

YMMV
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »
Gappy does your motor rock to the right when seated? Then one would assume that the motor turns clockwise when seated. Correct me if I am wrong. Almost all manuals that I have read, say to rotate the motor in the direction of travel but that doesn't quite make sense as the motor is reciprocating.
If the motor rocks to the right under increasing revs, (which it does), then the motor is spinning anticlockwise when viewed from the rider’s seat….
The torque effect you feel, is equal and opposite.
Remember that the torque reaction, is the engine block trying to spin around the heavy crankshaft that does not want to accelerate due to it’s inertia.
The same effect as an electric drill that binds when drilling a hole, if the chuck is spinning clockwise when viewed from the operators perspective, the drill body will try to spin anticlockwise when the drill (in the chuck), meets a resistance.
It’s also the primary reason a helicopter needs a tail rotor.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 10:40:36 AM by Huzo »

Offline Arkyinny

• New Egg
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2023, 09:28:02 AM »
Lots of  good 👍 info here for a new MG owner. I'm on Long Island outside of NYC, where there are 2 MG dealers, along with 25 mph speed limits and incredible traffic jams. I bought my Guardia from a dealer in PA, a 2 plus hours commute,  if I leave early.

So decisions,  decisions!

With the help of this discussion,  I'll probably  wind up doing it all myself. I do have a great independent shop locally that will take care of anything I'm not sure about.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2023, 09:28:02 AM »

Online Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2023, 11:54:23 AM »
I normally let my dealer do the first service on all my bikes. I figure if it has a manufacturing defect it should show up in the first 1000 miles. Just takes one argument off the table if the bike has a major problem.

That's the main reason I always let a dealer do the first service. If something fails within the warranty period,
they're not gonna be able to weasel out of things by saying that the first service was improper.

That said, there are good dealers and bad dealers. I won't use one of the dealers in my area for service anymore
because I discovered they have charged me for things that they didn't do. There's a GREAT independent repair
shop about 30 minutes in the other direction, but he's almost always booked solid. He's honest and competitively
priced.

I bought a Toyota Tundra a few years ago, and had some tire wear on the outside edges of the front tires. I got
it aligned at an independent shop, and sure enough the toe-in was WAY out. Apparently, that's one of the things
that is supposed to be checked pre-delivery at the dealer. It virtually never is, because that would take actual time and effort
to check! Just one example of the many shortcuts dealers take all the time.

If you take your bike with a shim-under-bucket valve adjustment setup in to have them checked, and you're
not given the details of how many were adjusted and why, you can bet your last dollar that they didn't adjust anything -
and maybe didn't even check. Easy profit for the dealer.

OTOH, a dealer that charges you a fair price for your initial checkup and actually does it, is a dealer that you really oughta patronize.

-Stretch

1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here