Author Topic: Vaopour Blasting Explained  (Read 6739 times)

canuck750

Vaopour Blasting Explained
« on: December 31, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »
Found this site explaining the vapour blasting process, good information
I was not aware that Vapour blasting does not cut the oxidation off the alloy surface and is primarily a finishing process. The description explains that after cleaning, then dexidization (chemical ?) the vapor blasting process is used. I am intrigued, wonder what a DIY kit would cost?

http://www.arnoldsdesign.com/Vapor-Blasting.html#1.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
Re: Vaopour Blasting Explained
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
Hey Jim- Harold here. mgfan. If you want to see a finished piece just send me something little and I'll get it done for you. I've had my valve covers, wheels, hubs and some other stuff done. It beats down all the small imperfections in the surface so the part doesn't hold oily finger prints, oil stains etc. I'm in Chilliwack BC so postage shouldn't kill you. Happy New Year Harold
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
It must depend on the particular vapor blasting setup, because a different vapor blasting company did some cylinders and heads for one of the guys on the triples board.  They started out filthy and very oxidized, and came out like a very fine bead blast would do, possibly a little shinier (less matte).
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

canuck750

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
Hey Jim- Harold here. mgfan. If you want to see a finished piece just send me something little and I'll get it done for you. I've had my valve covers, wheels, hubs and some other stuff done. It beats down all the small imperfections in the surface so the part doesn't hold oily finger prints, oil stains etc. I'm in Chilliwack BC so postage shouldn't kill you. Happy New Year Harold

Thanks Harold, may take you up on it. I am intrigued by the set up, I think I could modify a larger Princess Auto or Harbor Freight blast cabinet, reading up on DIY sites its the agitator pump that is the key, some guys use a pool pump with good results. The cheapest home unit I can find online is about $3K CDN. I have a mall bead blast cabinet and a soda set up, each are good for particular projects but the vapour blaster seems to be good for more the in between and is reported to be safe for use on engine components (I won't bead blast anything that the engine oil comes into contact with).

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
I know I have mentioned it before but I really like the vapor blasting process. It more or less scrubs the surface rather than blasting the surface. The scrubbing results in media not becoming embedded in the surface and then dropping out later, not a good thing inside your engine. I have had all surfaces inside and out of engines done. Also had carbs done. You still need to clear out threads, holes, passages, etc. I have sent some pretty nasty out and they come back looking new.

2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
Where did you send that stuff?

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
I send mine to ricerelics.com but he is cutting back on blasting and more into the sales of vapor blasting cabinets.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
The results are amazing to say the least, I need to cobble together a cabinet to do that in the garage (always the cheapskate looking for a DIY solution) ;D

Jim

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here