Author Topic: Noisy Alternator bearings 2013 Stelvio  (Read 807 times)

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
Noisy Alternator bearings 2013 Stelvio
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:34:07 AM »
I think the Alternator bearings are making noise.  How tough is it to replace the alternator and can the bearings be repaired on the existing one?
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Noisy Alternator bearings 2013 Stelvio
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
It's not a bad job. Take off tank, side panels, drop oil cooler forward & bracket off front cover, cover off. Loosen adj bolt for belt & pivot bolt on LH side. Loosen belt & off, take out the 2 bolts & unplug wiring. Take off out the back.
I have not tried to change bearings on any. You could take it to an auto electric rebuilder for repair.

Note- The RH bolt for adjuster lock is a pain, sits real close to frame and it sometimes is real tight.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:32:30 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
Sounds easy enough thanks
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
It's not a bad job. Take off tank, side panels, drop oil cooler forward & bracket off front cover, cover off. Loosen adj bolt for belt & pivot bolt on LH side. Loosen belt & off, take out the 2 bolts & unplug wiring. Take off out the back.
I have not tried to change bearings on any. You could take it to an auto electric rebuilder for repair.

Note- The RH bolt for adjuster lock is a pain, sits real close to frame and it sometimes is real tight.

Ditto

Steve knows what he's talking about.  I've done the job myself and it's not too bad. That adjuster bolt is jammed right up against the frame but you can do it.

The alternator is rather common and can be repaired.  Check your electrical connections and your engine mount bolts while you're under the tank and go to church next Sunday and you may be okay.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here