Author Topic: Recommendations for a first enduro bike?  (Read 927 times)

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Recommendations for a first enduro bike?
« on: March 06, 2024, 09:01:46 PM »
Okay, disregarding [Chuck in Indiana]'s advice regarding my being too old to learn to ride in the dirt ...

What counsel would you lend regarding choice of a first enduro bike for a 6 foot tall, 280 pound, 68 year old rider, who's dirt experience is limited to a 350 CL Honda and two Guzzis?

I never hesitated to take any of those bikes off road, and also practiced emergency stops in the dirt with the Honda as part of my first bike training. As for my H2, I tried to take it in the dirt, but it didn't like the low speeds necessary.

How else am I going to become a camera toting Yoo-tuber blogging my adventures under the moniker of "Normally" ?   :boozing:

That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Recommendations for a first enduro bike?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 09:14:56 PM »
Serious dirt - KTM 350 or 500 EXCF. They are street legal four strokes that will putt along easily or roost away. For something a little more laid back maybe a Honda XR650L.  In any event, make sure you can swing a leg over easily.  Dirt riding is a total blast. Best of luck.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 09:15:02 PM »
1300GS?
Multistrada 1250?
Both of those will carry you and at least one six-pack as long as you get the bigger panniers.

Or, if you are serious...my Honda CRF250 does just fine in light duty off-road.  The shocks aren't much to speak of, but it is a nice all-rounder.  Slow, heavy, but fun. 
I had a KTM350, that Scout mentions.  That has more power than you can ever use- feels like a 500 at half the weight.  Great suspension.  The seat is torture. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 09:17:42 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 02:41:53 AM »
Personally, I would begin with deciding my priorities. How much will you spend, what kind of terrain do you plan to ride in, do you want to watch the scenery or go fast and hard etc.

At 280 lbs, forget the CRF250. It is sprung too softly for a 120 lbs rider. However, while most bikes will be a bit too soft for you to go jumping with or race over bumpy terrain at great speed, many will work just fine until/if you become fast enough to bottom out the suspension regularly. Most will never get to that point.

I used my Virago 1100, that I made into some sort of scrambler, in scrambles/light dirt riding. Wet weight 550 lbs. Not ideal, but it still worked fine - even in snow - and was happy and stable at 100 mph on fire roads, where KTM 690s were weaving badly. However, in the tight stuff, the nimbleness of the KTM was very appreciated over the Virago tank. I just mention these to show that just about any bike can work off road, but no bike will be best at everything.

Anvil reliability comes with the DR-Z400 and DR650 from Suzuki and the XR650L from Honda. They should both suit your size, and have a broad range of use, and are quite cheap to buy and keep. The KLR650 is also in this group, but far less dirt worthy.

Any KTM will be sharper tools, with much more sophisticated suspension, but they can also be less forgiving and not as comfortable for long rides as the two Japanese bikes mentioned. Also, they reguire much more maintenance, and the engines will typically wear out quicker. Especially the 690s have had their issues over the years. Yamaha WR250R and 450R are closer to the KTMs in performance, but seems to tolerate a bit more neglect and hammering.

There are lots more out there to choose from, but I would repeat my first statement; find out your priorities first, then start looking for bikes that can meet them.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 02:41:53 AM »

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 07:26:56 AM »
With your stated age, experience and weight, I would look at the following:

If you don't need a street legal bike, I would look at the Honda CRF230F or the KLX300.
As most off road only bikes tend to have a high seat height, these two keep it low and that makes putting a foot down easy.
The honda may seem smallish, but it has a very usable torquey engine that is hard to stall (say when you head up a steep hill but started in the wrong gear )

If you want to street the dike, and are less likely to need the low seat weight, the afore mentioned DRZ is a good choice, but I preferred my WR250 over my DRZ.
SSR also makes a good enduro that is of high quality at very attractive prices.

Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 08:05:43 AM »

I agree with what faffi said.

Very vague question.  Figure out what type of riding you are going to do.

Based on "enduro" and your weight, I'd say Suzuki DR650.  Lots of used ones out there, many owned by us old farts, and they hold their value well if you decide to sell.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 10:22:39 AM »
Not knowing what type of riding you wish to do hard to make a recommendation. But considering your weight and maybe wanting to keep the budget in line I would be looking at the Enfields. They make two singles, a 300 something and a 500. The new 400 Triumphs would also be ones I would consider.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 11:17:15 AM »
DR650 or DRZ 400.

No matter what bike you choose at 6'-0" and 280lbs there will be none out of the box that will fit or be sprung for you. You are going to have to look at some ergonomic modifications and suspension mods.

The DR650 and DRZ400 are both rock solid platforms that have been around unchanged for decades. There are lots of aftermarket items available and also lots of decently priced used parts available.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 07:33:56 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 03:01:12 PM »
Personally, I would begin with deciding my priorities. How much will you spend, what kind of terrain do you plan to ride in, do you want to watch the scenery or go fast and hard etc....There are lots more out there to choose from, but I would repeat my first statement; find out your priorities first, then start looking for bikes that can meet them.

Thank you [faffi].

I have no pretensions - I just want to be able to toodle around in the Southern California / Arizona deserts, primarily but not always on dirt roads at a moderate pace, possibly with a small tent and some other comforts. And I'm unlikely to invest a lot of money in this either.

Thanks to all for your recommendations, I have some homework to do now.  :bow:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 07:08:27 PM »
Surely you jest, it's beautiful!

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 02:54:49 AM »
if you want to take it seriously off road , and you are  learning , you will have to pick it up regularly.
that rules out most road going all roads . ( forget about lifting a KLR/DR650 a couple of times a day. )
you might pick them up after a fall , but they will have damage.
i would suggest the lightest bike you can get away with for your type of riding,  a KTM 300 , it will suck on the highway, but will be a joy off road.

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 09:15:37 AM »
I have found my Kawasaki Super Sherpa is quite manageable, I'm 230 5'11".  I have no other comparison to base it off of just picked it up to ride with my Son in the woods. 

The large front wheel is able to cross some gnarly stuff and has plenty of speed, for roadways.  I would not recommend highway riding on it though because you'll get moved around as it is very light.  You could sprocket it for highway speed but might lose out of the enjoyable stop and go torque. 

I was invited out for some Class 6 roads riding in Vermont and most of the heavier KTMS were struggling, and the newer Kawasaki and Hondas were bogging down on the rocks.  The Sherpa just sloughed right through anything it encountered.  I would stall it out occasionally, but had a blast on some of those river beds they call roads.

I did put a 300 cylinder kit on it and jetted it correctly. 
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 11:02:27 AM »
As a long time dirt rider/racer expect to get heavier springs front and back.  The larger the bike the heavier.  You don't want to pick up a heavy bike.  The DRZ400 is bulletproof with a reasonably comfortable seat, a little heavy.  Also the Kawasaki KLX300.  I'm a Husqvarna fan- the Husky 310 is more of a real dirtbike but a great torquey motor.  Seat is minimal.  The older Honda Xl250's are street legal a bit heavy and bulletproof.  Comfier seat.

I would stay away from the bigger bikes- horsepower and a novice rider don't mix well.  You can always trade up after you get more experienced.  Have fun!
 :bike-037:

Online maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 08:23:15 PM »
I'm just going back to dual sport after a couple of years off and have decided to way downshift my usual manner of riding. I'm becoming a true flower sniffer and at 6' and close to 200lbs I'm back with my wife's Super Sherpa. It is one helluva fun bike that will go almost anywhere. It's too small for you as mentioned above. Without any smart ass on my part, have you considered losing any weight, or is that not possible? Picking any of them up can be an issue for sure. I'm knocking on 81 and plan to ride a long time yet. I still get around on my EV 1100, but wouldn't want to pick it up.  :grin:

Good luck!!
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 06:34:58 AM »
How else am I going to become a camera toting Yoo-tuber blogging my adventures under the moniker of "Normally" ?   

Love the name, Norman.. but.. she's no delicate flower. Solid muscle and a really skilled rider. I don't know about you, but I don't bounce worth a sh!t in my golden years. I slipped on the ice this Winter and it was a week before I got over it.  :rolleyes:
Surely you jest
Quit calling me Shirley.
That said, you'll need some torque if you get into sand, and after all, you live in the desert. If you can't keep it on the boil, forward progress will cease.  :grin: Watch Noraly in Madagascar on the KTM compared to the poor "guide" on that piece of crap 200 or whatever it is.
At any rate, I'd look for the lightest weight and most torque I could afford.
And get yourself a case of Ben Gay.  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 10:53:46 AM »
A beat to karp cl175…

And review your insurance policies…

:popcorn:

I’m so fragile now I couldn’t even look at single track
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 05:21:32 PM »
Knobbies on a Can-AM Spyder - or their shaft-drive little brother, the Ryker.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:22:26 PM by kballowe »

Online maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2024, 10:58:15 AM »
I have found my Kawasaki Super Sherpa is quite manageable, I'm 230 5'11".  I have no other comparison to base it off of just picked it up to ride with my Son in the woods. 

The large front wheel is able to cross some gnarly stuff and has plenty of speed, for roadways.  I would not recommend highway riding on it though because you'll get moved around as it is very light.  You could sprocket it for highway speed but might lose out of the enjoyable stop and go torque. 

I was invited out for some Class 6 roads riding in Vermont and most of the heavier KTMS were struggling, and the newer Kawasaki and Hondas were bogging down on the rocks.  The Sherpa just sloughed right through anything it encountered.  I would stall it out occasionally, but had a blast on some of those river beds they call roads.

I did put a 300 cylinder kit on it and jetted it correctly.

What brand and size tires are you using on your Sherpa? Off topic a little, but hey.

Tom
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Online snobear

• New Egg
  • 1987 California II, 1998 DR350, 2012 DR650,
« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:38:46 PM »
I expect you could make a DR650 work good for you with a few modifications
1987 California II
1998 DR350
2010 DR 650
1982 Seca650
I do these things not to escape life but so life does not
escape me

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here