Author Topic: V9 service indicator reset?  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
V9 service indicator reset?
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
A friend is getting a service done-the bike is easily within owner maintenance but the service-needed icon is a problem.

Any tools or hacks to reset?

pete roper

Re: V9 service indicator reset?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
Not as I understand it. The dash is supplied by a new mob and it needs to have the service icon cleared by pads with a cable. It's all part of a systematic principle of gouging. Over here some dealers were charging $150 to clear the service icon on earlier bikes and got really pissed off when the CARC bike codes were published. It's why the Cali code took so long to escape from custody. Now it seems they have defeated home servicers by making it PADS only.

One of the last things I bought before I pulled the pin on being an 'Official' service agent was the cable. I've never even opened the package it came in as V9's sell like rat sandwiches and I've yet to see one.

Pete

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:17:59 PM »
Thank you Pete, I appreciate it. My friend loves his rat sandwich, btw!

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
I'm happy for him, really, just because I find them disappointing doesn't mean they are a bad machine. Over here though I'd be really surprised if they have sold more than twenty since their launch a couple of years ago. They really are crazily unpopular!

My mate John in Sydney who runs an 'Old School' motorbike shop in Hipster Central in Sydney has had one sitting on his floor for two years! The few people who have taken it for a test ride have come back and actually said "Who'd buy one of those?" With a note of incredulity in their voices, these aren't big horsepower Sportsbike guys, these are man-bun and flannel shirt beardies, supposedly the market bikes like the V9 is aimed at.

The fact that the new importer is a joke probably doesn't help.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »
Whats does PADS stand for, and/or what is it?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:44:31 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
My friend has been a sport-and sporty type rider throughout his life, this being his 4th Guzzi. Traded a 1400 for it.

He tells me the handling is fantastic as is the power and loves the simplicity. One of the faster riders I know, so I'm sure it is pretty handy!

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:11:13 PM »
Whats does PADS stand for, and/or what is it?

Piaggio Advanced Diagnostic System, it's the POS factory diagnostic tool, the only time I ever use it is on my Mana and 1400's. Guzzidiag performs all the functions it does, (With the possible exception of service re-set on V9's.) and doesn't break down, fail to connect endlessly or have the potential to brick your ECU like the factory tools can.

Pete

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Gotcha, thanks for the explaination Pete. Next one, what does POS stand for?  :grin: (Just kidding!)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

bpreynolds

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
My friend has been a sport-and sporty type rider throughout his life, this being his 4th Guzzi. Traded a 1400 for it.

He tells me the handling is fantastic as is the power and loves the simplicity. One of the faster riders I know, so I'm sure it is pretty handy!

I'm also curious about this thread as I am getting ready to do the first service on my Roamer.

Anyhow, I've owned four different 1100 Calis, a V7, a Stelvio, and a Griso SE.  Among all of them I would say the V9 or the V7 are my favorites.  The bike handles surprisingly well for what it is and a great deal more poke on tap than I imagined it would. 

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »
Not as I understand it. The dash is supplied by a new mob and it needs to have the service icon cleared by pads with a cable. It's all part of a systematic principle of gouging. Over here some dealers were charging $150 to clear the service icon on earlier bikes and got really pissed off when the CARC bike codes were published. It's why the Cali code took so long to escape from custody. Now it seems they have defeated home servicers by making it PADS only.

One of the last things I bought before I pulled the pin on being an 'Official' service agent was the cable. I've never even opened the package it came in as V9's sell like rat sandwiches and I've yet to see one.

Pete

Bull.  The Maint indicator of the V9 is reset the same way it's done on the V7 and V7II.  From the V9 Roamer - V9 Bobber service manual (2Q000193):

To reset Service proceed as follows:
� Hold down the key (A).
� Turn the ignition key to "ON".
� Wait for the Key OFF.
The next time the vehicle is started, the value will
be reset and the word "MAInt" will not be displayed
until the next mileage for which maintenance is
foreseen.

It does help to RTFM before posting incorrect information.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:32:43 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
I would of thought you would of learnt by now that Guzzi manuals and handbooks don't actually have a tremendous grasp of reality but there again neither do you so I suppose that fits.

The reset procedure is different for the V9's because they use a different dashboard and the service icon can, as far as I'm aware, only be reset using PADS. Now run along and play with your soft toys there's a good fellow.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here