Author Topic: Calling all California Special/Bassa Owners!  (Read 38379 times)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Calling all California Special/Bassa Owners!
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
Vintage seat should fit, you will need the latch set up and a hole in rear fender. You may need to remove the rear grab rails also
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »
Yes, I've been monitoring ebay, cycletrader as well as this forum.....I'm really taken with the pearl white models.... a good color for our hot Texas summers too.  Thanks for the continued collective interest on this forum regarding my search.
1999 MG Bassa (pearl white)

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »
BRITMAN....is this the same Bassa I see now on Cycletrader.com for sale that you purchased from Winchester recently???  Looks to be the same bike.  Whazzup???

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »

britman

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2017, 07:00:35 AM »
BRITMAN....is this the same Bassa I see now on Cycletrader.com for sale that you purchased from Winchester recently???  Looks to be the same bike.  Whazzup???

Doesn't hurt to test the waters.  I have since pulled the ad and gonna ride "Snowflake" to the Virginia Rally later this month.  I was really thinking about thinning the herd to get a four wheel project, VW Bug or van, British sports car, MG or Sprite,  so forth.  Probably never find another EV this sorted out so it's off the market for now.  My wandering eye hits occasionally and something goes and something new comes in, usually not at any profit in my favor, but I enjoy the process........

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
'nuf said!!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
There is one one ebay in your color.

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:15 AM »
I know this is an ancient post, but since I posted here previously I'm hopeful those interested might still be lurking around.  The pearl white Bassa I've been searching for seems to be 1) a very rare animal and 2) gone to a new home by the time I respond.  Once again, if anyone has a lead on an original, well maintained, pearl white Bassa for sale....please let me know.  As always, your help is appreciated.  Marc

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
A beautiful thing

Sent from my shoe phone!
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
Another Bassa (mostly stock)

Offline PandionExpress

• New Egg
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
I don't have a photo sharing thing yet so no photos.   But I am a new owner of a 1999 pearl white Bassa.  Just got it off Craigslist from a guy in Winchester.   

Also saw I guy riding a similar California in downtown Baltimore today.  Black with slick hard bags including a bag guard.   Nice looking bike.  Don't know if he is on this forum.

Andrew
Andrew

1999 California Bassa - Pearl White

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
I now on my 3rd Bassa.. want to buy Guzzi Sport windscreen and Jackal/Stone bars.. anyone?

since this pic it now has HB bags.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline DanD

• New Egg
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
Congrats! Pearl Bassas are my fave too!  :bow:
2013 Yamaha WR250
2013 Husqvarna TR650
2016 NTX

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 08:48:31 PM »
I am new to the Bassa machine and am not that familiar with the different windscreens available.  Could you post a pic of the Sport windscreen you are looking for??  I intend to keep the windscreen that is currently on my Bassa (as shown in the photos above), however, I have another windscreen and mounting brackets for the Bassa (which were included in the purchase)....I don't have a pic of what I have right at this moment.  If you can't provide me with a pic of what you're looking for, I'll try to post a pic of mine.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »

99Bassa dirt br

Chet, Show them the pic of what a chic magnet the brown one is.

Tex

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
Marc, this is the Sport screen..

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »
Sorry Foto, what I have is one of the touring windscreens....than ks for clarifying thru pics what you are looking for....good luck, it's out there somewhere.  Marc

Offline param2000

• New Egg
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
1999 Bassa Black, new paint metallic black with golden flakes , all chrome converted to black satin powder coat finish

current in restoration mostly cosmetic like paint powder coating fixing hoses , service oil changes
will paste some pics here

i have thread on guzzitech of the restoration
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/new-owner-1999-bassa-need-help-in-process-of-restoring.19269/
thank you

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
Great thread with awesome pictures. Love the 99-00 Bassa's, my 2000 blue/silver was my all time favorite Moto Guzzi. It was fun reading my old posts under Chicago Mark from 2008. They had adjustable forks and even a drain plug on the bottom of each fork leg to make fork oil changes a breeze. The 99-00 also had tubeless wire wheels. The Bassa, IMHO, still has the WOW factor in the looks department. The fenders made sense with the side covers and the tail light. The bike just flowed well except for the side cover chrome piece not reaching far enough towards the intake. Even the Swiss made leather bags looked like they belonged on the Bassa instead of being an after thought item.  As did the Classic and Sport windshields.

Piaggio could put the 1400 motor with the 6 speed in it, go back to those good forks and tubeless wheels and call it Bassa II. Offer them in black, blue/silver and pearl white just like the original. and yes, keep the Bassa style tank instead of using the one from the current 1400 lineup. A Bassa II would be an easy redesign and IMHO, they'd sell in North America and beyond.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:58:59 PM by TN Mark »

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
This is my 2003 Aluminum Special Sport with a few changes.

Tried to keep it close to stock by using parts from 17 different Moto Guzzi bikes. 

sulphate ion lewis structure

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 06:35:27 PM »
What is the difference between these and the EV?
Jerry
Florida

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
foot pegs & seat
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:28:32 PM by guzzisteve »

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »
foot pegs & seat

So, the trim and all the mechanicals, etc. are the same?
Jerry
Florida

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2019, 07:29:03 AM »
Im new to the MG models...  But looks wise, Im surprised the Bassa is OLDER then then EV, stone, etc...  Stylewise it looks so much closer to the modern vintage... 

John... that bikes a stunner. I started looking at the Cali/EV, stone, etc bikes because the price, and because they were around..  My plan was to get one and do like you did... I do really like the look of the Stone Metal I ended up with, so might keep it as it is, and find another to work on... 
Paul B

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
The early EV's used an older large ECM under the seat. The Bassa (99-00) used an updated and smaller ECM under a side cover. Likely one of the reasons the EV seat looked so big and the Bassa (Italian for Low) was sleeker looking with the smaller seat. But yes, for the most part, the mechanical structure Frame/Engine/Drivetrain between the EV and the Bassa plus the CA Special Sport are the same. 

The later EV's also used the much more aesthetically pleasing Bassa rear fender and tail light. Though I don't recall if the EV retained the original odd looking chrome panels between the rear fender and the side covers. I think the EV also retained the smaller triangular side covers throughout its production run. The original EV tail light was quite an odd looking piece and to many, its looks were enhanced with the Bassa rear fender and taillight. .

After the 2000 Bassa model, the subsequent CA Special Sport model lost the tubeless wheels and the adjustable forks. Making them, for many, a cost cutting exercise from Piaggio. Similar to the no frills Jackal.

I had a 99 black Bassa and a 2000 blue/silver one. On both of them I swapped the Bassa footpeg subframe assemblies with an EV rider who preferred footpegs over boards. They also had the Bassa saddlebags with the Guzzi rear seat backrest luggage rack. One thing that made them comfortable for me was to replace the Bassa beach bars with a set of the V10 Centauro bars and risers. I think I had all three of the Bassa windshields as well. They had a Classic one, a Sport one and the one called the California Touring windshield. Both of my Bassa's also had Mistral mufflers with an aftermarket Italian made K&N style air filter. One of the trim pieces offered by Agostini were chrome throttle body covers that perfectly blended the chrome horn on the Bassa side cover with the intake track to the head. The Guzzi accessory throttle body covers never aesthetically flowed right and looked more like an after thought.

Like I posted earlier, Piaggio could easily come out with the Bassa II by retaining all the goodies from the original Bassa but using the 1400 engine and drivetrain. Stretching the ergonomics a bit to make two up riding roomier would also be a huge plus.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:09 AM »
98EV's got a stripped down version in 99, same wheels, different rear fender. Bassa and EV are same running gear, Special Sports were next then evolved into the Aluminum & Titanium.
There is a White 01 in the Club Classified now. Seems like Shelby isn't riding much. Should be a nice one.

http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »
.......The later EV's also used the much more aesthetically pleasing Bassa rear fender and tail light.....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !  The early and later EV rear fenders are quite different, but I like them equally well.  I have the "Old" style on my '96 Cali, and the "New" style on my '04 EV.  I wouldn't say one is much more aesthetically pleasing than the other..... IMO

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
This is my 2003 Aluminum Special Sport with a few changes.

Tried to keep it close to stock by using parts from 17 different Moto Guzzi bikes. 

sulphate ion lewis structure

And I might add this looks even better in person than in pics, and it looks pretty darn good in pics! John, your bike is very well executed. :thumb: :bow:

John Henry

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2019, 11:34:36 AM »
John, your bike is very well executed. :thumb: :bow:

+1
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
And I might add this looks even better in person than in pics, and it looks pretty darn good in pics! John, your bike is very well executed. :thumb: :bow:

John Henry

The "secret sauce" is, they are all Tonti Frames under the sheet metal and plastic.  A design that was copied by many manufactures into the future.  Designed for racing. 

After buying my first Guzzi in boxes, a 79 SP, rebuilding and riding for many miles, I was ready for something modern but with old school looks.  Knowing that the Tonti frame was very similar through out its life cycle, I began to looked at many models to see what tank and side covers would match.  The rear fender is a trimmed Stone/Metal.  Grab bar and side covers are 850T, Tail light many models,  Seat and Tank Lemans 4.  Bassa/Sport 1100 front fork upper tubes with compression and rebound adjustment, Brake and clutch levers Sport 1100/Centauro, Foot pegs, Stone/Metal, Windscreen is a GIVI replica of the Titanium.  I threw in a Magni swing arm, Ram Clutch, removed lower frame rails, relocated foot pegs to the passenger peg location and made a new shift and brake lever, Aluminum tubeless rims and a lot of other changes.  The bike runs great, rides great. 

I have another engine that I am waiting on the heads to be twin plugged and a  set of high compression pistons to install.  I had installed the high compression pistons last year and rode it a few miles.  I could not get the detonation tuned out at wide open throttle.  It ran great, but sounded like two metal spoon being tapped together at wide open throttle. Before I shimmed the base of the cylinders, it was showing 225 psi cranking pressure.  I shimmed the base and got it down to 190.  Pete Roper said I was going to blow the heads off.  That would be interesting to see, from a distance. It's a  toy and something to keep me occupied in the long cold winter. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:27:12 PM by John Croucher »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here