Author Topic: Is there a comparable substance like thread lock for electrical connections?  (Read 7639 times)

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
I've got some old spade type connectors on the Lario that pull off quite easily. Also, the neutral switch connection that slides into place also finds its way off. Wondering if there's some product that gives them some holding power without taking away the connection?
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Maybe but a small blob of solder on the end so it has a hard time sliding back through (?)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

crc

I normally crimp the female spade carefully with pliers

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
If they won't bend back down with pliars (and stay that way) they've softened, probably from heat.  In that case they should be replaced.  But no, there's no thread locker level of cure.

Wildguzzi.com

Rough Edge racing

Crimp on type connectors vary greatly in quality,.....T&B brand found in some electrical supply houses are usually high quality. Online vendors like Mouser have thousands of different types, many are specification grade.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
I may have misunderstood the question.  If these are standard crimp connectors and the wires are pulling out, as RER said above, you need high quality connectors and a professional ratchet type crimper.  AMP is the brand I use, but as I said in another thread, I solder after crimping for several reasons.  It keeps moisture out of the connection, it ensures low electrical resistance, it eliminates the chance of pull-out, and if you solder at the wire tip and don't linger too long, the solder won't wick down the wire and make a stiff spot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:02:17 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
     The female spade connectors that they came with are real junk. after only about 25 years they corrode and loose tension. That's a joke, but they do break-lose tension with age.
 They are easily replaced. Invest in a crimping tool- I think even Menards has them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:21:40 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
dielectric grease
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
I have had the same problem and tried various solutions, like bending with pliers and adding some solder.  They work for a little bit, but, fail in a thousand miles or less, and usually when you can least afford it.  If you are on the road and have to fix it to get home, then crimping  with pliers will usually get you there.

Replace the connectors.  I carry some extra ends with me on the bike.  I have modified part of the wire cutter portion of my Leatherman to be able to crimp them in emergencies (I replace and properly crimp when I get home).

PS I do not use one of the expensive ratcheting crimpers.  When only doing one or two at a time, the cheaper ones have worked well for me.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

dilligaf

dielectric grease

Will not solve a loose electrical connection problem.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Well, the hopes for a "sticky" solution seem unlikely. I want these removable as they are switched connections. Nothing that won't keep the bike from running. I don't want to hard solder them. I may have to get clever if it keeps happening. Most are fine and will only come off if I'm fiddling in the area. The neutral connection is plain loose as is a weird one. I may have to bend the female end is all. Too bad they don't make something like thread locker for bolts. I suspect we'd be cursing the PO's if they did.
Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Bend them with pliers a little bit to tighten then back up.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
Bend them with pliers a little bit to tighten then back up.

I misunderstood twice.   :D   Kevdog was saying the connectors pull off the make tabs they connect to, not the wires as I thought he meant.  Yes, Wayne and others above are right on.

Offline Goosecoop

• Gosling
Hey Kev,

A friend of mine bought the kit from Vintage Connections which included the crimping tool. We used it the other week on a vehicle that we are working on that had the same problem. Worked really, really well. Check it out at www.vintageconnecti ons.com.

Mike
Mike
Frederick, Colorado
'89 Cal 3
'74 Eldo
'06 Mini

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
There's always conductive epoxy, but once in place, it'll stay in place forever...  ;) ;D
Charlie

Bill Havins

Will not solve a loose electrical connection problem.  :BEER:
Matt

Sure it will.  It will always "read" as "not making a connection."  You won't have any doubt.  :D

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Hey Kev,

A friend of mine bought the kit from Vintage Connections which included the crimping tool. We used it the other week on a vehicle that we are working on that had the same problem. Worked really, really well. Check it out at www.vintageconnecti ons.com.

Mike

Thanks Mike, looks promising!
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
I say replace 'em. they are worn out.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

biking sailor

Might try liquid solder products.  I have and worked pretty well at keeping electrical spade terminals from vibrating apart.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4779321_liquid-solders.html

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Yo Kevdog, Belden makes a couple of different crimping pliers just for that purpose, kind of a multi tool for plugs, spade connectors and specialty connectors. Sorry don't have a link but Google Belden and  Voila.  ~;

Paul B :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here