Author Topic: Air Compressor in Banshee Mode  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
Air Compressor in Banshee Mode
« on: June 29, 2022, 11:09:06 AM »

Good afternoon from the top of Virginia.

I need some assistance from the air-compressor cognoscenti here.

So, I have had a Craftsman vertical air compressor for quite a few years.  Model 919.165570.  One of a bazillion sold under different names.

Bought it for the GarageMahalo back in Atlanta.  More than I needed then for the lift and tire-pressure top-offs, but it was on sale, and, on a theory similar to "one can never have enough artillery," I bought it.

Then, somewhere along the way, it got knocked over — not easy, BTW.  Knocked off the pressure switch gauge, so I plugged that instead a new one.  Don't say it.   :rolleyes:

Then discovered it would build pressure as before, but at c.60 or so PSI, it started venting and screeching.  Pretty exciting the first time that happened.  :wink:

As I had a smaller, portable compressor, the big guy soon became a very large paperweight with an electrical cord.  It has held down that sinecure for almost 10 years! 

Now, however, aside from its "use" as an embarrassing and ridiculous black objet d’art in the Moto Grappa, I could use the volume to finish the NoMar’s work and seal tire beads.

So far, so good.

I then watched a bunch of DIY vids on YouTube.  See, e.g., these two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFja48QQ5Q & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhvr7bWHz5Q

All relevant ones seemed to point out that leak below the pressure switch — on the left of mine — which is where the air (and screaming) come out was really related to a faulty check valve — located on the right of many and on mine.

OK, I dutifully pulled my check valve and thought it actually seemed to work as designed, but swapping with a new one was fast, cheap, and easy, which are my trifecta choices.  So I did that.  I also replaced the long-gone pressure-switch gauge.

Good news!  Switch on, I got past 60 PSI and it headed north.  I thought I’d fixed it.  Oh, oh.

Bad news.  Not.

See vid.  Note that it now does get to c.80 PSI before it starts the banshee routine of keening for the compressor.

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Craftsman-Air-Compressor-Resurrection-2022/n-KHFBmw/i-2h7WK5r/A

I await your insights, and am donning kevlar for the flames if I have missed something especially obvious.  :laugh:

Seriously, thanks.

Bill Hagan
404.EIGHTZEROEIGHT. 8486

Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Air Compressor in Banshee Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 11:28:06 AM »
Hi Bill. I have a very similar old compressor and I was able to replace the complete manifold assembly on it, which had cracked. Its been a few years, but I think I found the replacement on ebay.  Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 11:41:03 AM »
Perhaps a blown regulator? Common on these ...non-commercial... compressors. Is the noise coming from under the plastic cover, behind the red lever?

I had one just like that. I gave it away. Airless compressors have no place in my hearing-impaired world. A cheap Harbor Freight piston compressor is far less painful to endure.

BBrick is right, above. You can replace that entire regulator/manifold for a few bucks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:42:43 AM by pressureangle »
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 12:20:55 PM »

Hi Bill, Get out your handy spray bottle of soapy water and spray it around your switch gauge, relief valve, coupler assembly. It will become plain to see the leak. Keep us posted.

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 12:20:55 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 06:05:57 PM »
I guess I should do some maintenance on my large compressor too.   :tongue:  I have a bunch of smaller ones that are more portable and convenient than the garage one.  I did pu electrical replacements instead of all the air tools.  Running the air hoses are a pain.  Thanks for the thread and the links.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 06:10:58 PM »
<shaking head and shuffling off..>  :smiley:  :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 05:49:22 AM »
Sinecure…

:popcorn:

New one on me…no clue

Something new on wildguzzi every day
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 05:55:23 AM »
Sinecure…

:popcorn:

New one on me…no clue

Probably because you worked for a living.   :wink:

Thanks for the other suggestions. Very helpful.

Grandkids inbound for weekend, so my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess has me busy on tasks that do not include any time in the Moto Grappa.

Bill
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »

So, I got back to the screaming air compressor.

Thanks to all for your comments, but I think I stumbled on the root cause in an unexpected place.

Yup.  Worn tread on wheels.   :shocked:

OK.  Probably not.   :grin:

I did the "look for bubbles" thing and found some.  Tightened up fittings at those spots.

I then ordered one of these, https://tinyurl.com/A-C-Pressure-Switch.

That came in, and I was ready to go.

But not so fast.  Predictably, installing that -- or, rather, uninstalling the incumbent -- became more of a challenge for this Adventure Wrencher than I had anticipated.  I eventually called 1-800-Wayne-Orwig and calm Wayne patiently talked me off the ledge.   :bow:

I hope to finish this off tomorrow and do a test run.  Cleaning my mess up might take longer!   :rolleyes:

Sure hope this fixed it, because I finally broke the code on my No Mar, and got the new rear tire on the Griso's wheel.  It only awaits sealing those beads. 

OK, OK, I did have some help, so I haven't soloed yet.   :kiss:

Thanks again.

Bill

Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 08:30:45 PM »
What mess?  Looks clean to me.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 09:11:36 PM »
Pretty cool they can get 5 hp out of a 120 volt line.. Marketing is magic.  :evil: Probably the high-end Teflon piston is having a part melt down..  Planned obsolescence at it's finest..I would get on Craigslist/marketplace pronto..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:18:39 PM by Brand X »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 07:59:21 AM »
Pretty cool they can get 5 hp out of a 120 volt line.. Marketing is magic.  :evil:

I never did understand those goofy HP ratings on air compressors. They do the same BS ratings on vacuum cleaners.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 08:48:45 AM »
The air compressor I been using was my dads in the garage/hanger I built him. It was made in MN by Solar.  My problem in finding parts is I get everything under the sun, and never has anything to do with air compressors. I have welded up holes in the tank and keep it going. Can't find anything cause of it's name. Made in the 60's before there were any solar anything.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 08:50:54 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 09:41:39 AM »

What mess?  Looks clean to me.   :grin:

I like your standards, Tom.   :grin:

Pretty cool they can get 5 hp out of a 120 volt line.. Marketing is magic.  :evil: Probably the high-end Teflon piston is having a part melt down..  Planned obsolescence at it's finest..I would get on Craigslist/marketplace pronto..

Got it, but I don't care what the label says about HP, etc.  My goal in reviving this one is to have the PSI and -- more importantly -- volume for sealing beads.  If it does that, I don't care about its tats.   :azn:

I never did understand those goofy HP ratings on air compressors. They do the same BS ratings on vacuum cleaners.

As I said here yesterday, many thanks for your help!  :bow:

The air compressor I been using was my dads in the garage/hanger I built him. It was made in MN by Solar.  My problem in finding parts is I get everything under the sun, and never has anything to do with air compressors. I have welded up holes in the tank and keep it going. Can't find anything cause of it's name. Made in the 60's before there were any solar anything.

Interesting, Steve.  You probably saw this web site when you searched: https://axiomsafety.com/solar-powered-air-compressors/

Who knew?!  :wink:

Bill

Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 09:52:36 AM »
When all else fails.....

Good cardio about the time a tire pops into place.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »
When all else fails.....

Good cardio about the time a tire pops into place.

I suspect Kathy would not be happy pumping up tires for Bill.    :thewife:

:boozing:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »
IC I know little about your issue. I do know that they require electricity and are helpful with tires and other inflatables. I'm really just posting to say bravo, and thank you for the new word!
Sinecure. Man, it is a rarity that I am sent googling the definition of a word used in a forum! I have occasionally run into some ham-handed insertion from some somniferous orator or another, but not this time! The definition fits so perfectly with your usage. Very un-hammy!
Anyway, I know it seems silly, but I love this stuff, and generally am not afraid to admit or show where my understanding ends.

Cheers!

Oh, and yeah, make sure it's plugged in, and you didn't trip a breaker. That's about all I got for you.😁

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 12:46:08 PM »

In the 70's and early 80's we were a SOLAR dealer in Phoenix. At that time, they only made welders, battery chargers and battery test equipment. The compressor line probably had been before then. If you can get some pics of the compressor head, I may be able to help identify it. Several companies rebranded equipment in those days.
       Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 01:20:56 PM »

I think HP is calculated Torque x RPM, right?

Right?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 01:47:08 PM »
I think HP is calculated Torque x RPM, right?

Right?

Yes, sort of.

For an electric motor, 1 hp is roughly 746 watts.
Thus, a 5hp electric motor should  be roughly 3,730 watts.
3,730 watts at 120V is over 31 amps. Yet it runs off of a 15 amp outlet.

If you look at the label closely it is actually 1.7 HP (or about 1,268 watts, just under 11 amps). But has this 'special' developed HP, that is sort of made up.

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 10:19:39 AM »
Yes, sort of.

For an electric motor, 1 hp is roughly 746 watts.
Thus, a 5hp electric motor should  be roughly 3,730 watts.
3,730 watts at 120V is over 31 amps. Yet it runs off of a 15 amp outlet.

If you look at the label closely it is actually 1.7 HP (or about 1,268 watts, just under 11 amps). But has this 'special' developed HP, that is sort of made up.

That was the joke, they use IC horsepower calculation on electric motors for marketing.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022, 03:19:01 AM »
12cfm from an oiless (if it is) compressor :shocked:  Sounds a fair bit, although I see when it gets to 40psi it drops to 7.8.  Whether the delivery is enough to pop the bead Bill I wouldn't know.

My own one is a 12cfm twin piston with a 2 horse motor, and even that won't keep up with my large rattle gun.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2022, 05:52:17 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

Some funny (and, as always, helpful) stuff up there.

Kathi laughed -- a bit too much for my tastes  :rolleyes: -- at Todd's "somniferous."   

She also thought the tire pump was clever.  A fit jockette, she does some pretty impressive work around this place and in the Moto Grappa, but that pump might be asking too much.  Might.   :grin:

But it's also moot.

More later for the little group that cares  :wink:, but the compressor is now combat ready.   :thumb:

In fact, it popped those beads in about a literal second.  No leaks after a Windex bath.

Started the balancing process -- a first for me, tho I have watched others (e.g., Nick & Howard ) -- but decided to watch a few YouTube vids before going on.

Besides, it's a pleasant day here for mid-July, so I'm going riding (on the Stornello); the Griso's wheel will have to wait.   :grin:

Bill

Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2022, 12:33:52 AM »
140psi!!! :shocked:

That is high.
03 Breva

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2022, 05:58:48 AM »
140psi!!! :shocked:

That is high.

Yes, Sir.

I was mostly seeing if any PSI was enough start the screaming.  The regulator would have -- I think  :rolleyes: -- shut off the compressor very soon, but I stopped it before that. 

Used 100 PSI for the bead sealing on that Griso tire, but less would have done it with that volume pushing it.  As it was, the "Bang! Bang!" of seating was near simultaneous.

As I am of the "Look, a dog!" sort, I have not completed balancing that wheel yet, but have gone on to thinking (and some acting) about turning the Stornello and V7 III's wheels into tubeless.  But I do want to get the Griso back on the road.

Best to you, Muzz, from above the Equator,

Bill
Bill Hagan

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »
Best to you, Muzz, from above the Equator,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Bike off the road registration wise until Sept 27; usual winter hiatus.  All good here.

Funny, not long ago my compressor stared leaking air out of the shutoff switch.  Replaced the switch and it still did it.  Took the head off (mine is a twin cylinder vertical twin with flapper valves), and found that on one valve, the steel disc was ok but it had worn away the seat on the barrel. :shocked:  Worn too far to actually grind out so I machined up a bush made of a high impact plastic and hammered it in the hole.  Seems to work; doesn't leak now anyway. :rolleyes:
03 Breva

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here