Author Topic: california EV model , 98 or 04 ?  (Read 6569 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
california EV model , 98 or 04 ?
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
Hi All

Given the opportunity to buy a calif EV 98 or 04 , which one would you get ?
Is there any important difference between the two bikes ?
What are the differences between the two engines and transmission/gearing ? ( if any )
I know that some 04 models had the single plate clutch but assuming this 04 has the dual plate clutch.
Wheel rims are different but both tubeless and i like them both models.

Thank you for your thought .
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:54:07 PM by arveno »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: california EV model , 98 or 04 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
The 98 is a solid lifter engine.  The 04 is a hydraulic lifter engine.

Lots of info here, if you use the search feature.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:09:49 AM »
The injection and wheels are different and the 04 has the dogbone driveshaft.

I prefer my 04.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20:48 AM »
I really like the torque curve of the 04, compared to the earlier non hydraulic models.
I can't say that the wider rear tire fixes or help much. I like the quieter motor. No ECU under the seat.
That being said, if the 04 you are looking at has not had the fixes put in, expect a lot of time and $$$ to get it right
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20:48 AM »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:28:47 AM »
04 Hydro with with lifter recall done and dual plate clutch gets my vote because I own one and love her.  Out for a long ride yesterday and am always amazed at how strong she runs. Don't get me wrong I love my baby Stone but Mama Stone rules.
Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »
My vote is the 04.  Hydraulic lifters are quite, fuel injection is no fuse.  I have owned 6 Guzzi's and the hydro/fuel injection has been the best running. 

Make and allowance for rear tires though. 

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
I have a 98 so I'm biased but hydraulic valves and a later ECU would be very tempting.
Hate to loose the tubeless rims however
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »
As noted, a sorted hydro is a beautiful thing. I had a white EV and it was great. Very quiet and smooth. With me, it was a matter of ergos- I'm just not a "cruiser" guy RE seating position.

BTW- the 04 EV does have (gorgeous) tubeless rims
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »
I have a 98 so I'm biased but hydraulic valves and a later ECU would be very tempting.
Hate to loose the tubeless rims however

The '02-'04 EV's had tubeless rims.  They're just different from the '98-'01 rims.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »
Thank you all for the help , i was wondering how is the fueling ? does it need "remapping" or reflashing ?

I am referring to the 04 model .

Thanks again.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »
If I were to buy a used 04 I would want to know the entire history of the bike.  I would want to know who did the recall and when, and I would not buy it if it was post detonation. 

Get a good one and the 04 wins (although I too am partial).  See Adamus' thread for the other possibility: 

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75687.0
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

190 Octane

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
Thank you all for the help , i was wondering how is the fueling ? does it need "remapping" or reflashing ?

Thanks again.

My hydro Titanium runs great.  I recently had a problem with popping on deccel, but it was do to a crack in the front crossover, another know issues for these models.  I swapped out the head pipes for some Mistrals without the crossover and put Mistral mufflers on it at the same time.  Even with the better flowing exhaust I have had no fueling issues.

The Titanium had dual plate clutch installed, cam update and triple tree recall all done before I bought it.  I've had it for over two years now and its been largely trouble free.   It did leave me on the side of the road once with fuel hose issue caused by ethanol (everyday I pray for drought in the mid west) in the gas.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »

Thanks again.

Part of the beauty of the 15M injection found on the 04 is that it's completely, stupidly, simple.  It's open loop -- no exhaust sensor.  It's fly-by-cable, not fly-by-wire, and it has only a cam sensor and a couple of temp sensors.  It's small and compact in all respects.  I fully intend to prove its loveliness by injecting an Eldorado.

That said, there is no 'reflash' or 'remapping' being done with these the way we see it happening on newer injection systems.  For one it doesn't seem to be as tantrum-prone as its younger siblings, and for another, we can't upload/download to it like the newer stuff.

That's not to say it can't be tweaked.  There are softwares out there (I still use the apostate VSDT software and cable) that will show you the state of your components and allow you to make some trim tweaks.  

There are also 'black box' solutions that wedge in between the ECU and the rest of the system, providing a means for the lazy and ignorant to pile on layers of technology in an effort to mask runability issues rather than finding and solving them.  I have a few of these that I've removed from purchases -- purchases made for salvage prices because "Even after adding all this gee-wiz stuff and removing all the evil EPA crap it still runs like sh*t."  They're like turning up the radio to fix the expensive noise under the hood, or painting over rust scale to give the appearance of pretty.  I have never experienced a properly sorted 15M system that NEEDED add-on map modifiers.

Offline gwb_mg

• Pemberton Twp, NJ
  • Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 04:44:09 PM »
The '04. Take it to Spare Parts in Philadelphia and have Roland work his magic, he'll make it a good runner.

2014 Cali Touring (current)
1984 Cali II "Auto" (current)
1980 Convert (current)
1976 Convert
1981 Convert
2002 Cali EV Touring (back in Boston)
2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory (back in Boston)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
                  rodekyll is right about "reflashing" or "remapping". My 04 has not looked back since the PC111 was removed :o Go figure.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Brightblade

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »
Love my 04.  Smooth and strong.  I recently put stone bars on it though and some different exhaust.  Still runs great and it's louder.... And it sounds delightful.  Put around a hundred miles on it yesterday....

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
What Rodekyll said.  I have two Stones; an 03 totally standard and an 04 with a Todd Egan mapped PCIII.  The plain 03 runs the same as the electronically tarted-up 04, which until recently had the H pipe, FBF airbox and Mistrals.  It made a racket.  Glad I wasn't the OO who spent the bucks for the go-fast (sic) stuff, PC and mapping.

The Hydro models are really solid bikes.  Guzzi made a grand mistake not continuing this system on the later touring models.  The hydro Stones and EVs had terrible seats and a custom or Corbin CalVin seat is recommended.  The CalVin will fit the 03 and 04 models. I have a Calvin Skunk seat on my 03 but it's going to be replaced with a Corbin CalVin seat.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here