Author Topic: Dave Richardson books merged thread  (Read 2108 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Dave Richardson books merged thread
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
I've not seen any notice here (could have missed it I guess) but I just found out DR is an author beyond Guzziology.
"My Life in Bikes" and "my life in bikes, the rest of the story"
I got it on Kindle (which I don't prefer as a reader but I can't get it on Libby or Cloud Library).
Also found out he's living in Mandello now.
So, just a note to anyone else interested who didn't know about these reads.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:47:56 PM by oldbike54 »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Re: Dave Richardson books
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
I wonder if they hired him as a consultant?
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
I wonder if they hired him as a consultant?

They would certainly be foolish not to, so probably not.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:39 PM »
The first book is on Kindle unlimited so that is what I will be reading tonight.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:39 PM »

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:34:13 PM »
I just read a little of it on Amazon today.  I’m not sure he is living in Italy - didn’t he start out about talking of dreams. 

Me thinks that is what he would love along with other dreams.

Mark

BTW looks like it would be fun to read and would like your views.

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
Got my wallet out and purchased both in book form, may as well support him in light of what he has done for Guzzi owners.  :thumb: DonG

Offline steveford

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2014 California Touring!!! I love this BIKE!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Just ordered both of his books. I'm pretty sure he's hanging out in the Northwest as I talked with him at one of the last WA. Guzzi Breakfast's before everything got shut down.
Keeping the Guzzi Passion Alive
Steve Ford
Vancouver Wa.

100,000+ mile 2001 EV http://wildguzzi.com/Rallies/Photos/AZ/1.jpg
77,000+mile 2014 1400 Touring
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClnTFjmDyPMS2RBB3

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »
Bought a copy of Guzziology recently and I love it. It's like having an experienced mechanic looking over your shoulder. Great info with a few anecdotes thrown in.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 08:32:55 PM »
Downloaded sample of Book 1 on my phone. It opens in Kindle android app but formatting is all wrong. It's readable, but not user friendly.

Went to Amazon (Kindle) and tried to download the sample into my Kindle. Got "This item is not compatible with this device" message.

First time I've ever seen that. Wonder what's up?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 08:57:18 PM »
Downloaded sample of Book 1 on my phone. It opens in Kindle android app but formatting is all wrong. It's readable, but not user friendly.

Went to Amazon (Kindle) and tried to download the sample into my Kindle. Got "This item is not compatible with this device" message.

First time I've ever seen that. Wonder what's up?
my kindle app reads it but the doesn't show any of the tools like larger font etc. I found out some books aren't published in the Kindle form or something.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:55:53 PM »
Ordered them both in paperback at Amazon.  Got here in a day.  That's three Guzzi books I'm reading at the same time.

Dave's and "Going the Wrong Way" by Chris Donaldson.  Irish guy leaving Belfast and riding around the world on a LeMans.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 09:03:11 AM »
Last time I talked to Dave he was living north of Everett WA.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
These two books were published only in late May. How about a review from one of you purchasers?

The back covers can be inspected on Amazon, and reveal that the first one is about Dave's tribulations as a Moto Guzzi motorcycle shop owner, and the second one more about his life outside the shop. They also show that Dave was in fact hired as a consultant by the factory at some point!

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
Couldn't help myself, just placed an order for both books...MI was so helpful years ago when I was building my 1000SP/Hedingham sidecar outfit...sorry that they are no longer in business.  This is just a small thanks to Dave...
Tom
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 01:00:06 PM »
Here’s a quick review, man he really tried hard to get Guzzi to be a good company but they failed him every time. The company is unbelievably terrible and so was Aprilia. Piaggio nearly as bad.
The book covers a lot more than Moto Guzzi and gives some good insight to the workings of a dealership, you’ll find out why they were the top selling Guzzi dealer when you hear selling outdated bikes was the only real way to move Guzzi’s and Aprilia too. The guy was persisting but he got nowhere in the end. Nothing too special about his writing style . Just the facts as he sees them.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 02:25:26 PM »
Just finished his first book, it was pretty good, but not knowing the motorcycle scene in Seattle limits some appreciation of who/what he talks about.  The appearance of the paragraphs & chapters echos Guzziology.  How MI survived for so long is a tribute to his tenacity and ability.  There is a lot of mention of Aprilia as MI was selling both from Piaggio.  What a struggle to survive in the business.  As he often points out, 'they just needed some more development' and 'they never sent us their very best'.  Interesting book, now to his follow-on book, "The Rest of the Stories".
Thanks Dave (and Co.) for helping me out with some of the changes to my SP/Hedingham outfit many years back.
Tom
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline KonaDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 02:55:01 AM »
I bought Guzziology a month ago and have gotten through most of it. Not much applicable to modern MG, but lots of good information there otherwise.

I just received his other two books today and am only part way through the first. Coming from the PNW and Seattle area, there was so much in there that I could remember and relate to. I'm sure we crossed paths in the late 70s and early 80s.

In mid 2018 I had decided to buy a Guzzi and to buy it from Moto International. They promoted a modification that lowered the bike 2", which is just what my short legs needed. Unfortunately, I was already living in Hawai'i when I heard that the shop had closed, leaving me with less desirable options.

I can't wait to finish reading his books.

doc
2017 V7III Stone, 1972 Yamaha R5C

Offline Robert Sylvester

• New Egg
Dave Richardson's new book(s)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »
Hi Guzzi fans. Just a note to say I just finished reading the first of a two book series from Dave. My life in Bikes. Very good read. I immediately felt at home because Dave uses the same font and style of writing used in Guzziology. I was wondering how he could sell at such relatively bargain prices, now I know.I also learned how the factory management staff has done it's upmost to ruin our marque harm. Using unfair business practices. IMHO well recommended read, especially during these grim days.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Dave Richardson's new book(s)
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 01:25:43 PM »
I'd like to know some of the mischief you describe. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »

I can't speak to specifics, but the loss of long established dealers could be seen as an indicator.  Mike from MPH Cycles had a few things to say, none of them good.  I don't believe his experience was unique.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »

(Ahem) All you have to do is buy the book and help out a serious Guzzi Guy.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »
I found his second book the better of the two.  Dave's personal stories and less to do with the business end of running a dealership.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 08:03:50 PM »
I've just finished both books. Enjoyed them both but the first one a little more than "the rest of the stories"
The first book is for serious Guzzi lovers with an interest in the model evolution of various Guzzi's and the culture within the Italian motorcycle manufacturing and distribution world along with the day to day struggle to keep a motorcycle retail outlet viable.
The second book was almost like a print version of a few hours chatting to someone over some beers and listening to their life and professional stories and i enjoyed it for that. I personally think the overwhelming majority of the people you meet every day have quite a fascinating life story so for me it was a worthwhile read.
I spent a few weeks in Seattle back in 2001 for work and would in hindsight visited MI if I'd known it existed back then.

Ciao   
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 09:24:42 PM »
I read the first book, found it interesting, enjoyed recognizing different characters i have met in the book. Oddly as he spoke of the staff of MI,  Greg Field was not mentioned, what happened there and where has he been?

I remember a quote from him that has stuck with me. Harley books keep me in Guzzis,  Guzzi books keep me in coffee.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
.... Oddly as he spoke of the staff of MI,  Greg Field was not mentioned, what happened there and where has he been?...

Greg Field was mentioned once, as "Greg Fields," in the context of Greg's research having set the record straight for someone at the factory, I believe. There was a big disagreement about something that led to Greg's departure from MI, but I don't know anything more than that.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here