Author Topic: Pantah 500  (Read 5531 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: Pantah 500
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Yes,the 80's stying was ugly when new, lol......The cat has no interest in bikes ,people food, litter boxes, or most anything not related to being a cat...
   I find the most challenging thing for the naked frame look is a decent looking and fitting seat and the handlebars. Guzzi style swan neck clips look the part but are expensive. I am not against drilling two holes in the upper yoke for risers for conventional handlebars.... And remounting the gauge panel. I do have a set of fork mounted replica Tommaselli headlight brackets....

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 06:18:46 AM »
  I tried to start the bike again..but it just backfired softly and a few flames from the exhaust....The ignition pick ups on the flywheel are known to be a problem when they get old...They check out at 220 ohms each but the wiring insulation is flaking off...I'll fix the wiring and see what happens....The valve timing is correct, 125 psi compression on both cylinders with the engine cold and sitting for a week. It has to be an ignition issue. New pick ups are available but there's no way of knowing if the ignition contrl boxs are good and the factory service manual  that came with the bike has little info on the ignition...
  So if  new pick up wiring doesn't  do the trick...the bike will be for sale....I don't  want to spend a bunch of money and time on  this bike.....

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 06:51:38 AM »
Yes,the 80's stying was ugly when new, lol......The cat has no interest in bikes ,people food, litter boxes, or most anything not related to being a cat...
   I find the most challenging thing for the naked frame look is a decent looking and fitting seat and the handlebars. Guzzi style swan neck clips look the part but are expensive. I am not against drilling two holes in the upper yoke for risers for conventional handlebars.... And remounting the gauge panel. I do have a set of fork mounted replica Tommaselli headlight brackets....

I think I have at least one extra Marzocchi top triple tree clamp with mounts for upright bars that need an appropriate home.   plain Ducati stuff, not the sexy $$ goodies..  If you keep the bike and have interest, maybe we can swap notes & measurements
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:08 AM »
I think I have at least one extra Marzocchi top triple tree clamp with mounts for upright bars that need an appropriate home.   plain Ducati stuff, not the sexy $$ goodies..  If you keep the bike and have interest, maybe we can swap notes & measurements
  Ok, thanks....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:08 AM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »
  I tried to start the bike again..but it just backfired softly and a few flames from the exhaust....The ignition pick ups on the flywheel are known to be a problem when they get old...They check out at 220 ohms each but the wiring insulation is flaking off...I'll fix the wiring and see what happens....The valve timing is correct, 125 psi compression on both cylinders with the engine cold and sitting for a week. It has to be an ignition issue. New pick ups are available but there's no way of knowing if the ignition contrl boxs are good and the factory service manual  that came with the bike has little info on the ignition...
  So if  new pick up wiring doesn't  do the trick...the bike will be for sale....I don't  want to spend a bunch of money and time on  this bike.....

The same basic ignition system is used on the V50 and V50 II Guzzis, may be more information in that manual. I'll be fixing the pickup wiring on a '78 V50 later today - even the NOS pickup the customer supplied has the insulation falling off.
Charlie

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 09:29:37 AM »
the two cylinders have ignition systems that are pretty independent, so with a defective pickup it should still start one cylinder ,
having both pickups fail at the same time seems unlikely.
there are a pretty limited amount of faults that would affect both cylinders.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
the two cylinders have ignition systems that are pretty independent, so with a defective pickup it should still start one cylinder ,
having both pickups fail at the same time seems unlikely.
there are a pretty limited amount of faults that would affect both cylinders.
  Yes, the insulation falling off the wires could have an effect on both pick ups...I measured the resistence with a Fluke digital meter..220 ohms. When I removed the pick ups and cut off the wires, the ohm readings were inconsistant...I grabbed my ancient Simpson analog meter..a steady 220 ohms..his isn't the first time I found problems using a digital VOM on automotive stuff....So..I just ordered high heat oil resistent wire and shrink tubing from McMaster Carr..Be here tomorow..

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
If you had to buy a bunch of that wire, i would be interested in some of the leftover.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »
If you had to buy a bunch of that wire, i would be interested in some of the leftover.
Uh, I only bought 10 feet each of green and red...very little left. The high temperature oil resistent wire and the same spec shrink tubing was about 35 bucks McMaster Carr.
  On MS Ducati forums  several guys have been through the bad insulation and resulting backfiring. A few tips on how to test the system and it all appears in order. I caved in to reality and ordered two new cam drive belts...Should be ready to fire up early next week..

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 08:28:02 AM »
The same basic ignition system is used on the V50 and V50 II Guzzis, may be more information in that manual. I'll be fixing the pickup wiring on a '78 V50 later today - even the NOS pickup the customer supplied has the insulation falling off.
You may know this,but I found it helpful when replacing wires on pick ups because the are polarity sensitive.
  "  When all is installed, stick some plugs in your plug caps, ground them, power up the ignition and get a thin-bladed screwdriver.

With the ignition turned on, place the screwdriver blade across the magnetic poles of one pick-up and pull it off sharply. You should see a spark at the corresponding plug.

If you see a spark as you APPROACH the pick-up, the polarity is incorrect. In this case, simply swap over pick-up connections. Repeat for other pick-up"

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
You may know this,but I found it helpful when replacing wires on pick ups because the are polarity sensitive.
  "  When all is installed, stick some plugs in your plug caps, ground them, power up the ignition and get a thin-bladed screwdriver.

With the ignition turned on, place the screwdriver blade across the magnetic poles of one pick-up and pull it off sharply. You should see a spark at the corresponding plug.

If you see a spark as you APPROACH the pick-up, the polarity is incorrect. In this case, simply swap over pick-up connections. Repeat for other pick-up"

Thanks for that information. I was pondering whether they were polarity sensitive last night as I was attaching the new wires.
Charlie

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »
Well, I'm done with the Pantah. It  starts and runs and sounds good but refuses to idle. Despite replacing the stator regulator it still has feeble charging output...Its got all the fairing parts so a good project for someone who wants one of these bikes
......I'll post it in the classifieds here....

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
great progress!
if also converted mine to naked ,  and ended up with a set of pantah TL bodywork,
 the ultimate in early eighties weird styling....

If someone is looking for an Alazzurra project my brother has one.  Red reduced effect that was running before parked.  The paint on the top of the tank was ruined by a cover but I believe it is all there.

Just PM me and I will get you in touch.  Bike is in SC.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
If someone is looking for an Alazzurra project my brother has one.  Red reduced effect that was running before parked.  The paint on the top of the tank was ruined by a cover but I believe it is all there.

Really nice bike the Alazzurra. A worthwhile project.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Big_Jim59

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »

Well, I'm done with the Pantah. It  starts and runs and sounds good but refuses to idle. Despite replacing the stator regulator it still has feeble charging output...Its got all the fairing parts so a good project for someone who wants one of these bikes
......I'll post it in the classifieds here....

I don't know why but I always lusted after the Pantah and to a lesser extent the Cagiva Elephant.
2001 Moto Guzzi Quota (Black)
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Triumph T100

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »
I don't know why but I always lusted after the Pantah and to a lesser extent the Cagiva Elephant.

I wouldn't call it "lust", but I always liked the Pantah. My brother had a Lucky Strikes '87 Elefant back in the early '90s and I bought an '86 in Nov. '14 as  Winter project, sold it April of '15.

Charlie

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »
how off road worthy is the little Elefant ? I'm sure it's no yz426. I've got a thing for Pantahs.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2020, 10:23:00 PM »
how off road worthy is the little Elefant ? I'm sure it's no yz426. I've got a thing for Pantahs.

Don't know, I didn't keep it long enough to find out.
Charlie

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2020, 12:39:27 AM »

considering its age , amazingly capable off road.
remember it is the same age as the transalp, R80g/s DRbig etc, those were useless off road.
the small elefants came with ohlins rear shock as standard
until KTM started doing off road twins the elefants were in a class of their own.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:10:04 AM by huub »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »
Under new ownership! Met Tony in Mansfield, PA yesterday at noon and bought the Pantah from him.  :azn: 472 mile round trip in my Eurovan. Rolled it out of the van this morning and stuck all of the bodywork back on loosely. Had a "test sit" to see how I fit - not too bad, but I may put on the Tarozzi high rise clip-ons Jim C. gave me if the originals prove to be too low. Needs *lots* of TLC, but it's a good starting point.

Charlie

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
Very cool....
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
Making progress on the  Pantah...I did get the engine fired up,with fresh oil and filter...the carbs need attention so it ran poorly at low speed. But it reved up ok and after running in place for about 10 minutes there is no smoke or funny noises..The engine is turbine smooth ...
  The charging system is out to lunch...the rotor was fried. Probably why is was parked 29 years ago. I installed a new stator and regulator for a 90' s Ducati as an upgrade...Did a lot of repairs to the electrical system because many wire terminals were corroded. Replaced overheated small gauge wires with larger sizes in a workman like manner....New ATC fusebox to replace the Euro fuses.  A relay now handles the main electrical load. Disassembled carbs for cleaning. A new cheapie rear tire, rebuilt rear master cylinder, new brake pads. Cleaned the rust from all the rotors using old school physical labor. Along with removing rust from various cycle parts. New petcocks and fuel hoses...The valves are within adjustment specs.I readjusted the timing belts , most overtension them. I will replace the belts after the test ride...
  A few minor details and an actual test ride in the next few days...
  If it all functions fine and the bike is enjoyable to ride, I'll keep it...The body work will be left off, the look will be a naked bike like an early Monster.....No original parts or the frame will be altered so it could be be brought back to original by someone other than me

Where the pickups ok.  The wires run inside the case and 40 yrs later they disintergrate.  You changed the rotor so assume the pickups checked out?

Kev

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
That's looks really nice Charlie!

The Pantah is the right size for me and I think the styling is top notch.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2020, 06:26:30 PM »
Where the pickups ok.  The wires run inside the case and 40 yrs later they disintergrate.  You changed the rotor so assume the pickups checked out?

Kev

Tony rewired the pickups and it ran, so I'd guess that means they're okay.  :wink:
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2020, 06:33:04 PM »
That's looks really nice Charlie!

The Pantah is the right size for me and I think the styling is top notch.

Ducati quotes the weight with full tank at 433 lbs. and it's not a physically large bike either. Because it's so narrow at the front of the seat, I can put both feet flat on the ground. Good thing too as the steering lock is very limited. 

I too think the styling is "top notch" in an early '80s sort of way.
Charlie

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
I think it's beautiful. I'd look for one but I don't fit.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »
500-650 Pantahs have nearly perfect ergonomics for me, at 6’2” tall.  And I’ve always like the original 500 styling, even more than the 600s etc, so its great to see this bike being saved before it was hacked up.  It’s a bike that needs to be conserved and will much appreciate given time.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »
500-650 Pantahs have nearly perfect ergonomics for me, at 6’2” tall.  And I’ve always like the original 500 styling, even more than the 600s etc, so its great to see this bike being saved before it was hacked up.  It’s a bike that needs to be conserved and will much appreciate given time.

"Much appreciate" sounds good to me.  :grin:
Charlie

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2020, 05:40:58 AM »
  I was pleased to sell the bike to Charlie who appreciates what it is.....Who know what I would have done to it :evil: 

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2020, 12:26:20 PM »
He lost the run of himself.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here