Author Topic: Public service announcment. Half plastic fuel filter  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Guzzi Hero
  • Northeast Ohio
Public service announcment. Half plastic fuel filter
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:38:09 PM »
I'm posting this against my better judgment, but someone suggested that I should.

During the New York Rally, one of our members experienced the separated fuel filter on his Norge. Thankfully, there was enough knowledge and tools to get things back in service before he had to go home. Plastic was swollen and the tiny flare on the plastic where the crimp is had simply popped out for maybe 1/3 of the circumference. Some time and 17 bucks spent at NAPA, (so I heard), and all was well again.

As I have mentioned before, you can address this in the comfort of your garage or wait until you are sitting along the road.

Without debating why this occurs and whether or not this is something to be concerned about, I'm making people aware of it. I have personally seen this more than once and have related that here on more than one occasion.

Anyone can do whatever they desire, deal with it or not. It is no skin off my nose. I'm just trying to save someone some aggravation.

PLEASE NOTE: If this thread begins to go south, I will simply delete it! I'm not posting this to start an argument a debate.

John Henry

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:53:51 PM by Zoom Zoom »
A wide, unfettered road ahead,
and the flying motor singing.
Samuel C. Lancaster 1921

oldbike54

Re: Public service announcment. Half plastic fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Guzzi Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
Out of curiosity, seeking data only, for our collective knowledge, year and mileage?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
16 HD FLHP
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Guzzi Hero
  • Northeast Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »
It was formerly John Wells Norge, an '07 I believe. I have no idea of the mileage on the bike.

John Henry
Samuel C. Lancaster 1921

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Guzzi Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
I did it on the road and in my shop on the Vintage. My hose popped off way before the filter started to expand. No problem since installing a comprehensive kit from MPH. I expect this is a problem with older bikes and most have already been fixed, but itís good advice to check it out.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline BillinPA

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
Not my bike but mileage is just north of 8k, the consensus is our ethanol content is the culprit

Offline Red

• New Goose
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »
I add StarTron to all my motorcycles whether it is called for or not.  It is cheap insurance against the ethanol menace even if it was not the case here.
72 XS 650 Original Owner
76 XLCH Sportster
14 Road King
16 Street Triple R
17 Bonneville T100
17 Moto Guzzi Roamer

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Weekend Warrior
    • smiles from nowhere
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 01:11:30 AM »
We don't have ethanol gas up here, but I've always used metal in-line filters. You can get them for less than five bucks at most any auto parts store. They work great on caburated bikes and cars. Maybe not for fuel injected tho. They never break, but of course you can't see the gas in them.
Big Jon

A couple of old Guzzi's, Triumph, CZ, and six happy huskies.

I kinda like self-isolating, it's a good excuse to avoid some people.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 05:20:30 AM »
Not my bike but mileage is just north of 8k, the consensus is our ethanol content is the culprit

I hope that is accurate because I only run Non-Ethanol in my bikes with maybe the odd tank with ethanol that gets burned up the same day because I was not able to find non-ethanol.  Fortunately the country station near my house is all Non-Ethanol.
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Cam3512

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:31:30 AM »

Correct.  I donít think mileage is as much of a factor as is TIME that sucker has been submerged in the gas.  In this case about 12+ years.  My V7ís was swollen like a fat tick within the first year I changed it out.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:27:06 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam - NJ Rep MGNOC
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
Ď20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline mechanicsavant

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:59:55 AM »
Thanks to the wisdom on this & other forums I changed out the OEM filter on my 16 Stone II shortly after the 600 mi. Service. It had already begun to swell!
One less thing to be nervous about. :thumb:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 07:13:57 AM »
There was a report on another in the V11 forum this week. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

02 Scura RC
87 AeroLario
79 G5
95 Skorpion tour

I think senility is going to be a fairly smooth transition for me..

Offline jpv7

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
Did my V7II Special right after I got it.  It may have eventually failed, or not.  Now I don't need to wonder about it ruining my day.

Offline ohiorider

• Guzzi Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »
I did the 1200 Sport many thou miles ago.  What's the recommended interval for fuel filter change after replacing original with all metal one?
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Weekend Warrior
    • smiles from nowhere
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 11:02:05 AM »
I did the 1200 Sport many thou miles ago.  What's the recommended interval for fuel filter change after replacing original with all metal one?

I change mine when I change the air cleaner filter. Never have had a problem with one clogging up and have used them for maybe forty years on several different bikes. They're cheap enough and easy to switch out, so you can do them more often if you think it needs it.
Big Jon

A couple of old Guzzi's, Triumph, CZ, and six happy huskies.

I kinda like self-isolating, it's a good excuse to avoid some people.

Offline lucian

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Thank's for this thoughtful posts. Does anyone know specifically which models or years have the plastic time bomb?  It seems obvious that this is an off with the tank and out with the fuel pump job . Perhaps one of you who have been there could explain the procedure and maybe any hoses, clamps or gaskets ect. needed for the undertaking. Are there complete kits available?  I'm all ears.

Offline nsmith

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 02:08:57 PM »
Mine was a 2007 Breva 1100 that very seldom used ethanol. maybe 25k miles. That was a couple three years ago now. Not that hard to do but I wouldn't want to try it with the factory tool kit.
Neil formally from South Dakota now living it up in Arkansas

Offline Ringosdad

• Sunday Rider
  • 07 Norge
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »

thanks to everyone who helped out!
Never look straight up at a bird

Offline pyoungbl

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »
The metal/plastic fuel filter has been used by Guzzi for many years.  I suspect it is present in all the fuel injected models.  My memory is weak but I seem to recall my Cali EV having one...that goes back to about 1995.  My Norge, Stelvio, and V7 all had metal/plastic.  Pete Roper probably has more accurate info.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Guzzi Hero
  • Northeast Ohio
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Thank's for this thoughtful posts. Does anyone know specifically which models or years have the plastic time bomb?  It seems obvious that this is an off with the tank and out with the fuel pump job . Perhaps one of you who have been there could explain the procedure and maybe any hoses, clamps or gaskets ect. needed for the undertaking. Are there complete kits available?  I'm all ears.

It seems that they use what they have available at the time. For instance, my '09 Stelvio has an all metal filter which was there from the factory. There are many reports of newer models, (right here in this thread), that have the half plastic filter. Without looking with a small camera lens or taking the tank off for inspection, I surmise there is no way of knowing for sure.

If in doubt, run the tank down to nearly empty and get someone with a camera to look in there.

It is generally assumed that the ethanol is the culprit but I'm not entirely sure that has been proven beyond any doubt. Perhaps it would be fine if not submerged, or a different plastic composition, or, or or,..........  This is actually beside the point that I'm trying to get across here.

When I travel, the very last thing I do is plan my trip around where I can get gas. I get gas when I need it, regardless of where it is. Sometimes it's that or walk. I refuse to plan my travels around a plastic fuel filter!

Really folks, I don't see any need to debate what, why, or how long in miles or years. Does it really matter? The fact is they fail and there is no rhyme or reason that anybody has actually quantified.

Assuming ethanol is the culprit, and it likely is, the amounts vary around the country, the miles and age vary on the bikes. It would nearly impossible to predict just when yours might fail. Maybe never, maybe soon.

Ask yourself if 20 bucks and an hour of your time is worth peace of mind? If you're in there anyway and it's half plastic, just replace it and be done with it!

A known issue with an inexpensive fix makes this a no brainer. At home when it's your idea is infinitely better than being stranded beside the road with no means of dealing with it.

John Henry
Samuel C. Lancaster 1921

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Guzzi Hero
  • Northeast Ohio
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »

thanks to everyone who helped out!

I'm really happy it worked out. You had the perfect setup with the rally. Truck, trailer, tools, knowledge. It could have been very different if you were just out for a Sunday ride alone someplace.

John Henry
Samuel C. Lancaster 1921

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 04:00:33 PM »
Stealing Thread:

Speaking of fuel filter, since I traded my 15 V7, I have a spare full metal fuel filter for the bike.

I bought the "full kit" from GuzziTech but never had the time to put it in. Always too busy riding :P

If anyone wants it, you may have it for free. Just got to pay the postage.

Since I do live in Canada, it is probably more beneficial people who live in States/Canada.

PM me and I will send to the first guy who message me.

End Thread stealing. :evil:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
Stealing Thread:

Speaking of fuel filter, since I traded my 15 V7, I have a spare full metal fuel filter for the bike.

I bought the "full kit" from GuzziTech but never had the time to put it in. Always too busy riding :P

If anyone wants it, you may have it for free. Just got to pay the postage.

Since I do live in Canada, it is probably more beneficial people who live in States/Canada.

PM me and I will send to the first guy who message me.

End Thread stealing. :evil:

Wow at the flurry of interest.

The fuel filter now has been claimed.

Thanks for all the messages :)

Offline Roebling3

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 05:58:27 PM »
' I refuse to plan my travels around a plastic fuel filter!'  John Henry

2017 V7 III racer.
I intended changing the filter at the dealer, b4 delivery. I had heard of the problem enough times. Considering how and what the filter is made of, one time is enough. Considering the cost of the all metal, ~3 bux more OTC, I say WT* The original filter on my bike was swollen and badly distorted at 479 miles. A respected dealer said; 'All big blocks carry the all metal version'. I suspect that notion may rely on day of the week or convenience at the factory.

Some people rather do nothing and risk a really costly, risky, scary breakdown. The same for tires w/tubes. The NGK conversion. Ok? You're never out of sight from home. Go ahead on. I'm not in it to do research.

BTW: Do you dress to ride? Solve problems on the road? Change filters, tires, spark plug caps?  I'm not only lucky.  R3~ 
Face it: You must empty the tank. Remove 6 cap screws and with specifically contrived motions remove the pump/filter module from the tank. You're not quite 1/2 way there.  When mine was done under warrantee MG had changed their alleged mind about the process. The price for the filter became 360+ $. From that point on dealers were to replace the entire pump/filter module, rather than a failed filter.  R3~

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Guzzi Hero
  • Northeast Ohio
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
R3, I'm not sure what your point is here.

ZZ
Samuel C. Lancaster 1921

Offline guzzi771

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
My fuel filter failed around 900 miles on my 2017 V7 III Special I would have sold it then if I was stuck on the side of the road but it happen in my garage so I kept it

Offline alanp

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
So is there a tutorial anywhere for replacing the filter?  V7II here.  I guess I have heard that the gas connection is extremely tricky, but not sure if that applies to the V7. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 11:24:26 PM »
So is there a tutorial anywhere for replacing the filter?  V7II here.  I guess I have heard that the gas connection is extremely tricky, but not sure if that applies to the V7.

There are few ppl did it here with their posts.

If not, I used this PDF from some fellow from England

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqitp1iyvp6r01t/Fuel%20tank%20removal.pdf?dl=0

See if you can see it

Offline Cam3512

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 05:37:47 AM »

On my '14 Special, there was a fuel line disconnect further down stream from the tank.  Made it much more manageable.  Wrestling the pump out and back into the tank is the tricky part.  Gotta be patient.
Cam - NJ Rep MGNOC
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
Ď20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jpv7

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »
No, not too bad.  Per recommendations from this site, de-pressurize it first by disconnecting the pump connector under the tank, and cranking (or temporarily starting) the bike until it dies.  Then treat it like an air line fitting.  Comes off easy.  The pump and filter takes some patient jiggling to get out, but just take your time and don't force it.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler with donation credit
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here