Author Topic: Rattle can paint for plastics: Vinyl, Plasti Dip, Standard?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Possibly a ridiculous question here as aside from YouTube videos I’ve watched, I have absolutely no experience with the vinyl nor especially the Plasti Dip paint but I’m refinishing some plastic fairing parts that got damaged on a recent trail drop or two.  In the past, I’ve always just started this process with about 150 grit, then to 500 wet, then to 1200 wet, primer, then can paint, clear coat.  Not certain but I think maybe (?) all that’s not needed with the vinyl or Plasti Dip?  Regardless, anyone here have experience with these and/or advice?  I may just stick with my old method but curious about the others. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Rattle can paint for plastics: Vinyl, Plasti Dip, Standard?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
Fusion paint is made for plastics. Sold at Ace hardware. Works well, comes in a rattle can
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Cdn850T5NT

• Cdn850T5NT
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
"Fusion" being the brand?
1985 Eurospec 850 T5 NT (Nuovo Tipo - New Type... i.e. Series III)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »
It’s made by rust oleum. Spell check doesn’t like that
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »
PlastiDip is a rubberizing spray. It can peel back off fairly easily. If it’s in a location where it will get abrasion, it will eventually begin to peel. For this reason, PlastiDip also sells a clear coat hardener to apply afterward as an option. Don’t have any experience how well that works, unfortunately...alt hough I do have a full can sitting on my shelves waiting to be tried out!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:27:42 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
The rubberized stuff and/or the vinyl does have some attraction for me if it means I don’t have to sand so much before painting.  But then again, I also like a nice finish so...
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 03:05:57 PM »
I have used plastic prep products to promote adhesion without sanding.  I did a dashboard on an old Mustang as the original color was not available.  Also changed the color of saddle bags on an old R BMW.  If I remember right, one product kind of cleans and the other helps the paint bond better.  The bags got some normal use and the paint did pretty well and was easy to touch up later. 

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 04:53:22 AM »
Possibly a ridiculous question here as aside from YouTube videos I’ve watched, I have absolutely no experience with the vinyl nor especially the Plasti Dip paint but I’m refinishing some plastic fairing parts that got damaged on a recent trail drop or two.  In the past, I’ve always just started this process with about 150 grit, then to 500 wet, then to 1200 wet, primer, then can paint, clear coat.  Not certain but I think maybe (?) all that’s not needed with the vinyl or Plasti Dip?  Regardless, anyone here have experience with these and/or advice?  I may just stick with my old method but curious about the others.

Recently, I had the brilliant idea of refreshing some old sun faded switch gear with multiple "coats" from a black Sharpie permanent marker.  Did a 3 second micro test and it looked great.  I have not got around yet to anything more.  I would not expect the color to last long (longer maybe with a clear coat?), but it would be very easy to refresh every few months or so.

Recently discovered that Sharpie makes "markers" filled with oil base paints.  Another possibility for when time permits.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
It’s evidently made by Krylon, I was mistaken when I thought it was a Rustolium product. Anyway it’s for plastic and all I do for surface prep is degrease and it sticks well https://www.thespruce.com/best-paints-for-plastic-4428090
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:31:45 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here