Author Topic: Roller tappet conversion.  (Read 26246 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Roller tappet conversion.
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
I was referring to Piaggio not just MG but I agree they are a small fraction of the motorcycle market in the States and that isn't a bad thing however it is all the more reason Piaggio should do everything possible to build customer loyalty. I love my Guzzi and the dealer I bought it from was amazing however they closed shop and ever since I have had serious issues with customer support and finding dealers that really know anything about Guzzis. 4 out of 5 approved dealers I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the 8V flat tappet issue. I don't mean to imply that Guzzi should have thousands of dealerships but for a small marque it is essential that the dealers they have be on top of things. As  Lannis said, after 10 years of posts about the flat tappet problem how can an approved Guzzi dealer not know all there is to know about the issue. That coupled with the fact that Guzzi didn't step up when this issue first became evident doesn't exactly make folks feel warm and fuzzy about making a second Piaggio purchase.

I didn't mean to imply that Guzzi should try to run HD out of business or become a giant in the industry. That would take away the the fact that they are unique, however, to stay in business they must compete for a small share of that market. To do that they need return customers and good reviews. They won't get either if they don't take care of the customers they have...
Piaggio's dealerships are divided: scooter and motorcycle.

Piaggio's biggest deal is Vespa. Those dealers and their customer base don't really cross over to motorcycles.

I don't see consolidating Piaggio's marques into one set of dealerships.

You may be new to Guzzi. Relatively speaking, Guzzi is doing great right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:20:57 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »

This. I think they may even be making a little money. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline muddyjwj

• New Egg
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
Piaggio's dealerships are divided: scooter and motorcycle.

Piaggio's biggest deal is Vespa. Those dealers and their customer base don't really cross over to motorcycles.

I don't see consolidating Piaggio's marques into one set of dealerships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly new to Moto Guzzi.  I remember the BMW/Moto Guzzi shop down the street from my house...that was in the '60s/early '70s.  In the mid-late '70's I rode dirt bikes and visited the shop often.  Guzzi's were pretty popular then.  I admit I don't keep track of Guzzi's financial bottom line, but if they are doing well (and I hope they are), it isn't apparent here in South Florida.  One of the largest dealer chains in the area (4 shops) dropped Guzzi in 2010.  When I asked why, they explained that Piaggio was a PITA to work with.  I know of at least two other dealerships in the southeast that have dropped Moto Guzzi in the past 8 years.  I really hope Guzzi is doing well because I love the bike and the brand.  Again, my point is Piaggio is trashing their customer loyalty by not standing behind their product as is apparent on this very thread and several others.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »
Hey, I worked for Scooter Superstore
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »

Offline muddyjwj

• New Egg
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »
Scooter Superstore, Sounds familiar...where was that??   

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
This. I think they may even be making a little money. <shrug>

I hope so for local guy Don and his partners that are opening a franchise.  For some reason, I am a little doubtful.

OTOH, I was chatting with a guy that had the local Triumph-Suzuki franchise until he told them all to go to hell.  And it he says that the manufacturers are making money and the dealers are eating scraps.  If you don't believe him, he will tell you to go talk to someone that owned a Victory store.  He mentions all the stuff that those dealers had buy from the company before they closed the doors.   He just says thy are all a bunch of crooks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:04:55 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
Scooter Superstore, Sounds familiar...where was that??   
My boss Peter was building an empire, 5 shops in FL and 3 in GA    Homebase was Hollywood, FL by his huge Hobby Shop

Offline muddyjwj

• New Egg
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
Was one of the dealerships in the West Palm Beach area?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »
Can't remember,  Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Daytona Beach, Gainseville, Hollywood, FL/ Atlanta, Norcross, Fairburn, GA
There may have been others in FL.

Offline muddyjwj

• New Egg
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
Can't remember,  Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Daytona Beach, Gainseville, Hollywood, FL/ Atlanta, Norcross, Fairburn, GA
There may have been others in FL.

Sounds very familiar. I was in a scooter shop in Lake Park some time ago. I spoke with the manager who was a Guzzi guy. Nice shop but I can't remember the name...

Anyway I received good news today. My Stelvio is rollerized at last and Piaggio picked up the tab for the parts! The dealer also took care of a couple of recalls that I wasn't aware of. The center stand and a plastic cover for the ECU.  These items (according to my dealer) were recall items and that brings up a couple of questions:

1) I have been told the reason the tappet issue wasn't a recall item was because it wasn't considered a safety issue. If that is the case why is the installation of a plastic cover over the ECU considered  a recall? Doesn't seem to be any more of a safety issue than a blown engine??

2) How is it I didn't know about either of these recalls? Did i miss something?  I'm sure if I received something in the mail from Piaggio I would have opened it right away...

Regardless, I will soon be riding again so all is well!!

That said  I will have to wait till next weekend to pick up the bike.  Per Pete's advice I asked the shop to pull the sump and clean out any DLC crap laying in the bottom end. It's a shame as I just performed an oil change with eni 10W60 a few days before finding out about the tappet issue.

Don't yet know what the labor cost is going to be after dropping the sump but at least the rollerization is done and my Stelvio should be good to go for years to come.

I really wish piaggio had notified me and everyone else riding a flat tappet 8V about the problem when they first knew about it. If it weren't for all the good folks on the internet I would still be riding my pride and joy and ripping her guts out without even knowing it. What would be the harm in letting everyone know about the problem before they blow up their engines? Just give everyone the the heads up and let them know the policy about providing the kit. Just good PR! I wonder how many other poor folks are out there riding their flat tappet bikes to death without knowing it??!!  Damn shame!!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
A lot of this stuff they leave to the dealers to notify the owners. If the dealers don't read the bulletins no one knows.
I know the dealer I worked for got a letter telling them to call all customers of the effected bulletin for V7 fuel tank vapor valve (the blue/yellow one).
If the bike never goes back to a dealer for service or dealer doesn't care how are you to know.

Offline muddyjwj

• New Egg
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »
Exactly! I received a recall notice in the mail for my Kawasaki KLX  250 for a fuel tank issue so why cant Guzzi (Piaggio) do the same? very poor public relations...

I wonder how many  folks with blown engines under 10,000 miles will consider another Guzzi???  As much as I love them I will most likely look elsewhere for my next bike. The V85 concept is one of the best looking bikes I've seen in a long time and had it not been for the flat tappet issue on my Stelvio, I would have bought the first v85 that hit south Florida. Sadly the "completely new engine" scares the hell out of me. What  Achilles heal will this one have? Nope, I'll ride the wheels off my Stelvio and then mortgage the farm for a grand touring bike....

Oh hell, I say that now but as my better half will attest I am hooked on adventure bikes and nothing has the character of a Guzzi......

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:47:55 AM by muddyjwj »

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Head and heart...

My head says forget about that new Griso at the dealers. My heart can't let me get over it. Not at all logical, but damn it!   :violent1:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

pete roper

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »
Sounds very familiar. I was in a scooter shop in Lake Park some time ago. I spoke with the manager who was a Guzzi guy. Nice shop but I can't remember the name...

Anyway I received good news today. My Stelvio is rollerized at last and Piaggio picked up the tab for the parts! The dealer also took care of a couple of recalls that I wasn't aware of. The center stand and a plastic cover for the ECU.  These items (according to my dealer) were recall items and that brings up a couple of questions:

1) I have been told the reason the tappet issue wasn't a recall item was because it wasn't considered a safety issue. If that is the case why is the installation of a plastic cover over the ECU considered  a recall? Doesn't seem to be any more of a safety issue than a blown engine??

2) How is it I didn't know about either of these recalls? Did i miss something?  I'm sure if I received something in the mail from Piaggio I would have opened it right away...

Regardless, I will soon be riding again so all is well!!

That said  I will have to wait till next weekend to pick up the bike.  Per Pete's advice I asked the shop to pull the sump and clean out any DLC crap laying in the bottom end. It's a shame as I just performed an oil change with eni 10W60 a few days before finding out about the tappet issue.

Don't yet know what the labor cost is going to be after dropping the sump but at least the rollerization is done and my Stelvio should be good to go for years to come.

I really wish piaggio had notified me and everyone else riding a flat tappet 8V about the problem when they first knew about it. If it weren't for all the good folks on the internet I would still be riding my pride and joy and ripping her guts out without even knowing it. What would be the harm in letting everyone know about the problem before they blow up their engines? Just give everyone the the heads up and let them know the policy about providing the kit. Just good PR! I wonder how many other poor folks are out there riding their flat tappet bikes to death without knowing it??!!  Damn shame!!

The reason why an ECU cover was a recall and the flat tappet issue wasn't is obvious. An ECU cover is CHEAP!

The cost of doing the right thing with the flat tappet fiasco would of cost a Piaggio suit his annual bonus. Was never going to happen! :rolleyes:

Pete

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »
Head and heart...

My head says forget about that new Griso at the dealers. My heart can't let me get over it. Not at all logical, but damn it!   :violent1:

We're about to get a local dealer.   Jus sayin'    :evil:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline muddyjwj

• New Egg
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
The reason why an ECU cover was a recall and the flat tappet issue wasn't is obvious. An ECU cover is CHEAP!

The cost of doing the right thing with the flat tappet fiasco would of cost a Piaggio suit his annual bonus. Was never going to happen! :rolleyes:

Pete

Yep!

Just what I was thinking!!! Hats off to you and everyone else getting the word out! If Paiggio has to cough up for enough roller kits it may still cost that suit his bonus.... The best way to get any justice for the customers is to do exactly what you are doing. Getting the word out and inspecting every flat tappet bike that comes into your shop. It would be great if dealers here would follow your example!

Pete,

Looking at the pictures of the tappets in my bike do you think I caught the the problem in time??

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here