Author Topic: Clutch adjustment on the V7ii  (Read 890 times)

Offline benebob

• New Egg
Clutch adjustment on the V7ii
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
My clutch adjustment at the lever was almost all the way out at 600 miles so today I adjusted it at the pivot down at the gearbox.  Like others I've read here the nut and the notched bolt were pretty well seized together.  Made the crude tool in the picture.  Tried a piece of steel stock first but it didn't have the strength to break the seize so cut up a hardened steel ruler with the grinder and kept trying til I got just a bit bigger then the rectangular notch.  For me i needed about 2 full rotations to get the clutch to where the adjuster on the lever is out about 6 full turns (maybe 1/3 of an inch out from the lever with about 4mm of "free play".  Granted it isn't free play like any other bike I've owned as the arm moves immediately and is under a little spring tension but I'm assuming that is just how a Guzzi is???  Tool worked good for a low tech method by the way.  Wish it could have been a bit longer but to get it a full turn you need it short enought to fit between the swing arm.  Hopefully it was just ill adjusted from factory and that I don't have a bigger issue like a missing thrust washer and that I don't need to go back down there anytime soon.  I am not a fair weather rider but the Guzzi gets minimal wet riding as it doesn't offer much protection esp with the lack of a rear fender.  The levers nut and bolts down there just in 4 months of use are showing a bit of dirtiness and early corrosion so I made an extension of the splash guard out of a piece of rubber roofing material to minimize the splash of crude from the rear tire.  Used the two lower bolts holding the inner fender in place then ran it between the swingarm and the frame with a notch cut out for the swing arm.  Looks like it should help. 

16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Re: Clutch adjustment on the V7ii
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »
The perfect tool for adjusting the clutch at the transmission is a bicycle spoke wrench.  The size of the "tab" is hard for a regular wrench, but the the bike wrench is a perfect fit and is cheap too.

Joe

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:31:30 AM »
Sounds like you've got one of the models without the crank thrust bearings installed. There was a run of them. AFAIK they replace the engine as the cases are usually beyond the pale.

Pete

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »
Adjusted my V7ii at the 200 km mark because dealer didn't do it right.  Hasn't changed and bike has 20,000 km now.  So what Pete said (maybe)  :sad:...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here