Author Topic: V7 sport starter  (Read 1216 times)

Offline lemans andy

• New Egg
V7 sport starter
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
Hi,  Is there anything to be aware of when fitting a later model Valeo starter in place of
a OE Bosch starter? I notice the Valeo has 10 teeth on the gear and the OE Bosch has 8.
Curious if this is gonna be a problem.
thanks
andy

jwinwi

Re: V7 sport starter
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
Does your OE starter have a solenoid or is it the early one without a solenoid?
IIRC going to the Valeo means also fitting the correct starter relay (?)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:37:05 PM by jwinwi »

Offline lemans andy

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
Mine has the OE solenoid separate from the starter. True old school ...looks like an old car
solenoid ...to go with my old bike ... :whip2:
OE starter was a Bosch with no solenoid...the one you can't replace anymore supposedly.
thanks
andy

jwinwi

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
Preliminary research indicates the Valeo uses relay # 3073 2510. No idea why it's special or if there's a generic equivalent. Perhaps thisoldtractor.com has more info?
Highly recommend you get a copy of Guzziology if you'll be working on your own bike. It's not a step by step shop manual but it fills in lots of details and info not easily found elsewhere.  :thumb:
Edit: I believe the Valeo solenoid sometimes hits the neutral switch so you may need a low profile bolt for the middle... If you search this site there's probably more info previously posted.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:46:47 PM by jwinwi »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:39:07 PM »
I'm curious what the answer is to the 10T vs 8T question. My guess would be that they're not interchangeable, but you never know. I certainly wouldn't mount it as an experiment.

When I replaced a Bosch with a Valeo, I didn't notice at first it hanging up on the neutral switch, so pay attention to that.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 04:43:22 AM »
I'm curious what the answer is to the 10T vs 8T question. My guess would be that they're not interchangeable, but you never know. I certainly wouldn't mount it as an experiment.

When I replaced a Bosch with a Valeo, I didn't notice at first it hanging up on the neutral switch, so pay attention to that.
Me too, I haven't seen a Bosch with a separate solenoid like that, sure enough Carls diagram shows it.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1971_V7_Sport.gif
I kind of feel its a downgrade to add a Valeo, have you pulled the Bosch apart at all, look for sign of the Armature rubbing on the poles, a sign of a shot bush at the commutator end.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
The Bosch starters are pretty rugged, usually only needing bushings or brushes. I'm with Roy on preferring to stay with the Bosch.

Offline lemans andy

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 06:42:14 PM »
full story ...was going to ride one morning ..dead battery, so I thought. Put the battery on charge ...in 5-10 mins it says 100%
and 12.8 volts. Turn the key..dead battery. Put a different hot battery in ....same thing. took the starter out to have it rebuilt.
Guy calls me and says starter is cracked and he can't get parts.
OK present day.. The end cap that mounts in the flywheel hole is cracked.
bought the cheap knockoff Valeo to get me by. Rode this morning ... started it 2 or 3 times ...fires right up...its just that it sounds like a bunch of monkeys fighting with wrenches in there. I don't know if thats the way the knockoff starters sound or if something else is wrong.
I had already addressed the neutral switch bolt....not a problem.
i will pull the starter and have a look see later.
In the mean time I am looking for an old non-working V7 sport Bosch starter for parts.
thanks
andy

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 10:30:21 PM »
If the starter gear isn't compatible with the flywheel ring gear, they can both get trashed. I'm concerned that's the crashing and banging you're hearing.

Valeo starters are pretty quiet. When the planetary gears are dry they can screech on the over run, but wouldn't expect that of a new one.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
I think the V7 is too much of an iconic bike to be sullied by an ill fitting Valeo starter

I was out driving last night and I see a biker obviously having a problem so I stopped to see what I could do
Turns out it was a beautiful V7 just 26,000 miles, original paint, he was riding it for the first time in years and having trouble sorting the gears out, right hand pedal, left hand brake.

Once we put it on the stand and figured out the gears he was away.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:06:56 AM »

OK present day.. The end cap that mounts in the flywheel hole is cracked.

Have end cap welded, machine as necessary.
Charlie

Offline lemans andy

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »
Have end cap welded, machine as necessary.

I was trying to source that locally. When I went in the few places I know about in town, they all so they are to busy, as
they play games on there computers.
I might have a lead on a fellow that is will to make a CNC billet cap. just waiting to get his address. Friend of a friend thing.
Apparently this is a common problem.I don't know.  upward and onward
andy

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here