Author Topic: First real ride on the EV.. AGAIN  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
First real ride on the EV.. AGAIN
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »
Well after a 2 year absence I had a real ride today. I kinda forgot how much fun this bike is! It revs, it goes, it stops, and it handles better than anything else I’ve rode! I’m having some terrible helmet buffering that I don’t remember... same everything.  Weird. Maybe a clamp on visor?

image hosting
The seat is killing me but I knew that was gonna happen lol.  It actually isn’t that bad when your just cruising.  It’s when the feet go down that the tailbone hurts. And later when I get home.  I’ll work through that though if I have to make a custom seat!! Anyway it was 75 miles of all Smiles!  New Shinko 230 tour master on rear is stuck to the road like its GLUED to the tarmac!  Extremely pleased with this tire I’d like to thank all y’all for all the help. Gus
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:13:33 PM by Gusable »
1994 California 1100

oldbike54

Re: First real ride on the EV.. AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:13:42 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:28 PM »
Lovely EV
I'm surprised you get any buffeting at all behind that great barn door, often its the angle it's attacking the air, try it further back.
Actually the best screen I ever had had a great hole at the bottom, I think it put you in a high pressure zone.
Was it JB who swears by making it look like a Swiss cheese?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:26:57 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
The stock seat is a torture rack, for sure. If you can find a guzzi sport screen for it, it is perfect for almost any type of riding (for me anyway). No buffeting and looks much better. I found mine on this very forum! Great bike!

Cheers!
Craig
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
During the warm month I use a OEM sport shield...IMHO nothing better! During the winter I use a National Cycle Plexistar II with a Laminar Lip. When using the Plexistar I mount it high above the headlight right around the mid-section of the gauges and till it back as far as I can. Spent quite sometime till I found the right position but works great in freezing weather. 

As for seat...hands down Corbin! 50 miles on the stock saddle and endless miles on the Corbin.

Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
Your making me WANT that Corbin!!! 😃😃
1994 California 1100

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
I found it pretty easy to modify my EV seat. Take  the cover off and shave the foam at its crown to make it more flat. I also shaved the sides so my legs dropped down closer to the bike. I used a sanding disk on a drill for the shaving. If you have  the big P8 computer be careful not to shave too much foam over the ridge that is built into the seat tub. I did a further mod a few years later by hollowing out the seat foam and inserted a higher density foam. Before the mods my butt and lower back hurt after just 30 miles or so. After the mods I could easily do 500+ mile days.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
Use a smaller battery, move the computer into the battery tray, and cut away the seat ridge which was formerly intended to clear the computer.  Now a lot more room for clearing away or building up proper foam.  Regina's modified seat from Bill Mayer Saddles.  I did the pan modification in advance.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
I don't have any advice on how to improve your ride.  Just gonna say that I'm glad you got out on 2 wheels.  I'm thinking back to 2005, when I had no issues riding from home to Hannibal MO, 675 miles during daylight hours.  Yesterday, I was aching after 75 miles.  I'm going to figure this out, though, and get back to some long distance riding.  I bet you will, too.  Best wishes!

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
Thank you all. Patrick did you mod your seat as well or just the Mrs. bike?
1994 California 1100

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
Thank you all. Patrick did you mod your seat as well or just the Mrs. bike?

I had already done a Rich Maund rebuild for my 98EV seat.  That wasn't an option for Regina.  Rich's modification adds stiffer foam and raises the seat height.  For Regina we needed to lower the seat height.  Other modifications for her were a lower profile front tire, raise fork tubes 20mm, shorter shocks by 1", modified the brake proportioning valve to account for shorter rear shocks and 'flatter' swingarm alignment.  She can now handle 600+ mile days.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here