Author Topic: Retired!  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Retired!
« on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:39 AM »
Today is my last day at American Airlines. 33 years. I have  been blessed. No lay offs, no strikes, only minor injuries. Gnarled fingers and deafness, lol. Never missed a meal.... (silence, Dusty  :wink: ) Bittersweet day.
Everyone tells me once  I leave that stress pit,  my blood pressure will go down, I will lose weight, and everything will be rosy. Hopefully so. I hope to do some fishing, see our great country. Haul a bike out to the pretty places, explore and stay at  a cheap motel or campground. Hopefully more Guzzi events.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Retired!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
 :thumb:
Man, I wish I were you!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
Congratulations!!  Hardest thing is to keep going. Its WAY to easy to fall into the couch, and not have the drive to do anything...   
Paul B

Offline Deno

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »
Good luck on your new routine. Get that list of "always wanted to..." out and have a ball.
I have another year to reach that milestone.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »
Congratulations! 

It's easy to stay busy. More motorcycle projects, more trips, a fun part-time job or volunteer work. If you don't stay busy on stuff you enjoy, the wife's projects (landscaping, repairs, remodels) can overwhelm you. And your health improves only if you stay active and stress-free.

Welcome to the club of Retired Gentlemen.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »
I'm happy for you. I ago to bed tired and look forward to all the stuff I need to do next day. Golf and hanging around the coffee shop is not for me.

Tex

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »
I'll be joining you in 8 more days.. not worried about keeping engaged but I'll look for another job after I do a bit of fishing.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:39 AM »
Congrats.  Hope you have many years of retirement bliss.

I'm not planning what I do when I retire.  I am trying to do it all before I find out I can't when I retire.   :shocked:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 10:52:11 AM »
I have some experience at this, so listen up.  :smiley: Yes, if you liked what you were doing it *is* bittersweet. If you are as fed up with incompetent management as I was, it will take a major load off of you. I retired from GM in '92, and it added years to my life, I'm sure.
Dorcia was a benefits rep for GM, and retired everyone from a major factory. From her experience (and mine) find something you are passionate about and *do* it. The people that retired to "doing nothing" didn't last long. Six months were not uncommon.  :shocked:
I've built some airplanes. Saved many Guzzi barn finds. Ridden every "bucket list" road I know of in the States and Nova Scotia.
This Winter was the first that I had time on my hands. Not good. I'm thinking about building one last airplane as we speak.
One other trap you can get into is, "Oh, I'm not working, I can take on that small (either paid or volunteer) job." If you are not *very* careful, you will not have time to do anything for you
Take a little time and decompress, but if you already haven't.. start thinking of what you'd like to *do.*  :smiley:
Oh, and congratulations!
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
Congratulations!!  Hardest thing is to keep going. Its WAY to easy to fall into the couch, and not have the drive to do anything...
Not hard at all, being retired gives you the time to do all the stuff you couldn't do while working. Been retired since 13 and never have a day when I don't have things to do. Join a gym, ride your bike, make new friends(retired ones) and just enjoy not doing the work BS anymore. Retirement  beats the shit out of working. :thumb:

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
I'll be joining that party July 2, same idea as foto...
https://howmanydaystill.com/its/last-145
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
I retired from teaching science in '12 after 35 years.  Once I walked out the door I never went back in the building.  I loved the kids and the subject but admin was not on my favorite list.  I took an instructor job at TechShop for awhile but didn't have time for it and what I wanted to do.  I bought several bikes the year I retired and am using them all!  Off road and on I am always planning the next ride.  I've talked my son into going with me to ride different sections of the Alps and wouldn't miss the yearly trips to Colorado, Idaho and N Carolina, Georgia.  Right now waiting on the arrival of my V85TT in Charlotte so I can hop on a plane and go get it.  Of course I will come "directly" home afterwards.  ENJOY !!!!!
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
And here I thought this thread was going to be about round, black rubber things...
Congrats! You will soon wonder how you ever had time to go to work!

Btw don't let honey do projects take up all your time. Let HER do them!
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »
Whoo! Whoo! Enjoy. Listen to Chuck, he has it pegged about right. I will be retired four years at the end of the month. No regrets, none!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
Congrats.  Retirement is great.  I will comment that leaving your job did not sound so "bittersweet" when we talked about it- it sounded sweet then.

First, catch up on 30 years of sleep deprivation.  If you want to lose some weight and get healthier, go to the gym and do some cooking.  Build your schedule around that.  Get together with hobby groups, like Guzzi riders, or maybe some more reputable folks  :evil:, etc.

Most of all, do what you like to do.  Every day is Saturday.   :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »
  If you want to lose some weight and get healthier, go to the gym 
or just get a dog.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
Congrats Shorty! :thumb:

When you guys come visiting family up in my piece of the world, let me know. I have friends all around there. Maybe a bunch of us could arrange a get together. Give you a chance to meet Guzzi folk from around here.

John Henry

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »
  Congrats Shorty,
WELCOME to the club :thumb: I'm 2 1/2 years into my retirement and as all have stated above, keeping as busy as you like suits us well. In my case I gotta have a routine, so I walk every moning 3 to 4 miles then it's my to do list. Funny thing I've noticed is my list never gets shorter somehow. :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 01:03:47 PM »
 So does this mean we can put you on the *cooks* list at Cedar Vale and the Okie ? :laugh:

Congratulations bud , we need to catch a nice day and get Michael D out from under his rock and have lunch in Wagoner .

Dusty

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
Congratulations on your retirement! I'm still working at my main job, I like it and intend to go another five years to age seventy. I have had a second job/business since I was nineteen. I retired from my current second job this spring. My second job I have been doing woodwork and wood repairs on large yachts for over twenty years. Done with that. Now I have the time for my projects.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »
FANTASTIC!!!   I retired from the Army in 2008. I still contract for the military but it’s on my terms.

Have fun!
T4
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline Red

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 02:18:37 PM »
Congrats!  I retired 10 years ago and keep happy riding motorcycles every chance I get.  I suggest you do as well!
72 XS 650 Original Owner
76 XLCH Sportster
14 Road King
16 Street Triple R
17 Bonneville T100
17 Moto Guzzi Roamer

bobrebos

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!   :bow:

Offline Gnirwin

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
Congratulations! I retired this past December and spent the winter in Florida. I put 1200 miles on my bike the time I was down there. Life has been good!
'17 Bobber
'15 Kawaski Vulan S
'98 Goldwing

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »
Retired 4 years now and never looked back, finances have worked out even better than I expected, days are full from one end to the other.

One thing I thought I would do when I retired is just ride from rally to rally in the summer and stay out for a month.   Fay and I DID stay out riding for a month together, but after a week, if I'm by myself, I want to get home and see my sweetie and my grandbabies.   Not time for me to be the lonely gypsy on the open road yet ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
Conratulations.  Looks like you've already received all the good advice.  Have fun and do what you damn well please.  After you get a bit older, than you can say what you damn well please and nobody can do anything about it.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
Congrats Buddy...if you make it over to Southern Illinois give me a hollar...you deserve it!

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:45 PM »
Congrats!!!!

I've never been busier..... doing what I want to!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 07:06:04 PM »
Hello Shorty,

Good for you!  I retired thirteen years ago.   A few years after that, I remember going to a party and seeing many of my non-retired friends (someone has to pay my social security), asking "What do you do with all your time?"

My answer was, "I have a boat, a motorcycle, a wonderful wife to travel with, we had a camper and traveled the US, we bought an apartment house, refurbished it and flipped it, I play the guitar and drums, I wrote three books, I do charity work according to my own schedule, I make furniture in my shop, I am on two committees in our HOA, I get to see my granddaughter on my own schedule, I built our dock, our deck, two rooms in our house, there are several craft breweries near to me (they all know me by my first name and pour my first beer without asking)...before I even get warmed up, they stop me and ask..."How do you find the time for all that?"
"Simple", I say..."I am retired".

I believe that if you were that successful at your profession, you will be even more so at your retirement.

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here