Author Topic: Czakky’s T3  (Read 22594 times)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Czakky’s T3
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
For the hone, I wouldn't.

For the head gasket I would replace it. Many, many moons ago, I was told that if you pull a head, always replace the head gasket. That is what I do.

For the base gasket, and it's leaking, I would replace it. BUT....If this was a loop, I would also change out all the O rings and make sure that they are in the right places. I "think" you engine uses the same set of O rings??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »
I've had some Guzzi engines that were "serial leakers" - fresh gasket, properly torqued, etc. and still a leak. So, those get a light coating of Permatex 300 on the gasket surfaces, fresh gaskets and new (Viton) o-rings.
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
Light coat of hylomar (that’s what I have) and she’s back together. Tomorrow I’ll retorque go for a short ride cool her down and retorque. After a dozen or so heat cycles I will torque both heads. If if leaks, there might be an almost sorted T3 for sale  :wink:.

czakky82

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
Well that wasn’t it.... I see nothing from the breather setup (loop style) I replaced the distributor gasket just now. There might’ve been a tear in the old one. Fingers crossed.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
Well that wasn’t it.... I see nothing from the breather setup (loop style) I replaced the distributor gasket just now. There might’ve been a tear in the old one. Fingers crossed.

Did you install the "Loop style" breather box? Did it have a intact/working "flapper" disc? Is so, did you remove the original ball type breather valve before you installed the Loop breather box? If you have both the flapper and ball valves in place, the crankcase could be building up pressure which could cause a leak.
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »
I never knew the loop style breather box had a flapper... I bought mine brand new from MG Cycle. I will say that there is a good positive pressure out of the exit tube of the breather. FWIW.

Will check that breather box, thanks!

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
I never knew the loop style breather box had a flapper... I bought mine brand new from MG Cycle. I will say that there is a good positive pressure out of the exit tube of the breather. FWIW.

Will check that breather box, thanks!

Yep. If you look up in the large tube of the breather box you should see a metal disc. You want one or the other - ball or flapper - but not both.
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2019, 06:11:13 AM »
Makes sense. I know I’ve got the ball valve at the block.

czakky82

« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
So I have a flapper in the breather box and the check valve ball thingy coming out of the case. I will eliminate the check/ball valve.
Thanks for the heads up, I would’ve never known that. :thumb:

I of course have another question.
I took apart my non locking gas cap to clean it up on the inside. I didn’t pay attention to how deep the little screw is, thinking I knew how it worked. :embarrassed: Now it’s pretty hard to close and leak when full.
Anybody have recommendations on how deep the screw goes?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2019, 06:45:35 AM »
Alright, stumped again...
After my heavy duty refresh this winter and my first couple rides she ran great, not perfect but acceptable. Then somehow after getting my linked brake issue solved she’s running like crap. Like just bogs

Did you renew the condenser/s, I made the same mistake, bike ran ok for a couple of days then started to miss so badly I was lucky to get her home, would idle ok but any throttle at all would cause it to miss badly. It turned out the condenser I bought from a California source was a cheap knock off.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

czakky82

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
She’s running good, condensers replaced.

Leaking a little fuel out of the gas cap... see above.

czakky82

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »
Looks like I’ve got a stripped drain plug on my rear drive :cry:.

Can I heli-coil this without stripping the box?

How bad is it to strip a rear drive? I’m afraid of shimming...

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »
I just did a level plug on an 850 Le Mans rear drive yesterday. I'd recommend stripping it down.

The hardest part might be getting the cover/flange loose from the case. If you reassemble it the same as you find it (thin paper gasket on each side of the shim), then shimming won't be effected.

You really need to be quite precise when drilling and tapping the hole - it needs to be as close to perfectly perpendicular to the machined sealing washer surface as possible. Otherwise, it could leak.

To prevent it from happening again, you might consider using a "dowty" or "Stat-O-Seal" type washer (metal washer with rubber center). These require much less torque to seal than aluminum, copper or fiber washers.   
Charlie

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:50 AM »
May I suggest a slightly longer bolt.

At least on my loops, the drain and fill level bolt is rather short compared to the depth of the threaded hole. I have used a 5mm,ish longer bolt and it held just fine. Just make sure that the longer bolt WILL NOT hit the gears.

This may not be a permanent fix, but it will get you by until you need to pull the box for a seal job or the like and then fix the threads.

Good luck,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

czakky82

« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2019, 04:12:42 AM »
Awesome, good info.

Dowty washers on the way. Any idea what the thread pitch is?

Edit: I found it
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:47:35 AM by czakky82 »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
May I suggest a slightly longer bolt.

At least on my loops, the drain and fill level bolt is rather short compared to the depth of the threaded hole. I have used a 5mm,ish longer bolt and it held just fine. Just make sure that the longer bolt WILL NOT hit the gears.

This may not be a permanent fix, but it will get you by until you need to pull the box for a seal job or the like and then fix the threads.

Good luck,
Tom

The T3 era rear drive casting is made thinner at the drain and level plugs, so at best there's 2 threads left once the hole is stripped. Might be enough to hold with a "dowty" washers, but maybe not.

Awesome, good info.

Dowty washers on the way. Any idea what the thread pitch is?

Edit: I found it

M10-1.5
Charlie

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »
The T3 era rear drive casting is made thinner at the drain and level plugs, so at best there's 2 threads left once the hole is stripped. Might be enough to hold with a "dowty" washers, but maybe not.

M10-1.5

Thanks Charlie, I didn't know the case was thinner. On my loops, the fix has worked on the rear drive. On the trans, it worked on the level hole, but not for the drain hole.

BTW: I don't ham fist these bolts tight. The issues are on used parts that someone else ham fisted the bolts in.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

czakky82

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »
Thanks Charlie, I didn't know the case was thinner. On my loops, the fix has worked on the rear drive. On the trans, it worked on the level hole, but not for the drain hole.

BTW: I don't ham fist these bolts tight. The issues are on used parts that someone else ham fisted the bolts in.

Tom
Precisely my issue.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2019, 07:44:36 AM »
Installing a helicoil or some such will generate more chips than you expect. I wouldn't chance doing it without stripping it down. Many people are afraid of transmissions, but it's just nuts and bolts. Look at Petes and Johns tutorials, and you'll wonder why you were scared.
"You feeling lucky, punk?" :evil: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

czakky82

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Chuck. I’m going to try one more thing and I’ll report back.

czakky82

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
Still waiting on parts for my rear drive.

In the meantime I’m looking for headlight parts. Either nice US headlight rings or Euro bucket. I posted in the swap meet.

Cheers!

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
Still waiting on parts for my rear drive.

In the meantime I’m looking for headlight parts. Either nice US headlight rings or Euro bucket. I posted in the swap meet.

Cheers!

I have a very nice US headlight rim with all the adjuster bits. Responded in the Swap Meet thread also.
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »
Loving this bike more and more, but I found one thing a bit disconcerting. I only get like 35mpg... I’ve got stock VHB 30s w/stock pilot jets, needles, needle jets, slides and I went up to 145 mains, due to my Bub exhaust and pod filters with the stock velocity stacks. I ride it fairly hard I just figured I could do a bit better than my V11 Lemans... I tried leaning and richening the needle clip but it runs best in the middle where it’s at. It does run good though.

czakky82

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2019, 09:09:45 AM »
So I’ve put about 3k miles on this bike so far and installed LED warning lights this winter, so I’ve never ridden without them. I’ve also been reading that LED lights in the GEN position might be a bad move. I never read why though. The bikes been charging fine once running (13.9v).

Am I living dangerously?

I started reading about the light because my GEN light has been staying on a little longer after startup, but continues to charge well once underway...

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2019, 09:59:37 AM »
So I’ve put about 3k miles on this bike so far and installed LED warning lights this winter, so I’ve never ridden without them. I’ve also been reading that LED lights in the GEN position might be a bad move. I never read why though. The bikes been charging fine once running (13.9v).

Am I living dangerously?

I started reading about the light because my GEN light has been staying on a little longer after startup, but continues to charge well once underway...

If it's charging, then no worries. On my Convert, I installed a "bootstrap harness" from Greg Bender that makes sure the Bosch system will charge even if the bulb is blown out.
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Charlie!

Just to verify my charging system I took the stator off for a quick inspection and found one brush spring uncoiled providing no tension to the front brush. It charges a little sooner in the rev range now it seems. 

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2019, 03:26:18 AM »
That wouldn't help things.

Have found sometimes on automotive generators that carbon dust can sometimes glue the brush in the holder enough so that any out of roundness in the comm will allow the brush to "bounce" and lose contact.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

czakky82

« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Ive really been bonding with this old girl lately and am still looking for some parts. I have an ad posted in the “Swap Meet”. I’m sure if you’re not actively selling stuff you might not look there, but if you have old Tonti stuff I might be interested.

Thanks

czakky82

« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
So one of my winter issues to sort is the metal crossover fuel line.
I’m wondering though. Why not just run a fuel line from each petcock to the carb?

I’m sure this has been asked before...

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »
Best way is to get two double pipe banjos for the carbs...link the two carbs with one outlet, the other goes to the tap.Your way will work but when you hit reserve ....

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here