Author Topic: V50 III refresh project  (Read 421 times)

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
V50 III refresh project
« on: March 06, 2024, 08:20:04 AM »
Hi all...new guy here...I picked up a 1981 V50 III which has has 3 previous owners since new, all of whom I know, so even though they are all of the age where memory isn't their most remarkable quality, I have an idea of it's history  :laugh:

It's mostly stock except for an electronic ignition, but sat unused for years until the previous owner bought it, and he and his son got it going well enough to just ride it, so I know all the major bits are fine, it just needs a lot of the perishables replaced. My main project focus is a custom paint job in V7 Sport red & green.  The frame is at the powdercoaters now and I just handed off the tank, sidecovers, and fenders to the local votech school for painting (for the cost of the paint!). Given the free labor I gave them the dented spare tank instead of the original brown tank which is in such good condition I'll keep it in case I come across someone who needs a brown one.

I've been toning my biceps reading Guzziology and will be following his recommendations on what mods to do and what to leave alone, mostly. I have absolutely no patience and tore into this the second it showed up, so a few things could have been done with less aggravation but this is not a new methodology for me  :laugh:

Has anyone here done a V50 rebuild? I don't see many mentions either here or out on the net in general. Most are big twins. Where do we get OEM/NOS parts? I've tried MG Cycle and Guzzibits but they don't have what I need - a taillight lens gasket, swingarm spacer (MIA). And of course tires are NLA in the stock sizes which I can't get a consistent info on- it seems most say 90/90 and 100/90 once converted to metric, but I read the latter is too big to get past the rear drive without airing it down. I'd love to hear some real life experience with these sized on the small twins. I can get scooter tires in the next size down which doesn't see too inappropriate  :grin:

More pics as the bits come in and get rejoined. Most now are for "where the hell did this go?" recordkeeping.

jim

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V50 III refresh project
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 08:43:47 AM »
New paint is a great move,I thought the brown T3 I had was the ugliest Guzzi color but yours takes the prize.You will have a fun bike when finished.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 09:47:36 AM »
I like the brown, always have since I saw the V50 III in that color new at my local dealer back in the day.

Parts for the early small-blocks aren't as easy to find as parts for the big-blocks of the same period. Harper's may have some hard-to-find bits. Here's the swingarm "spacer": https://harpermoto.com/products/washer-35214300 . The gasket for the taillight lens can be 3D printed. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5608853 You might also want an oil filler plug/dipstick wrench: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3992120

I used 90/90 and 100/90 tires on mine. It seems that no matter what size rear you use, it will need to be aired down to squeeze in.
Charlie

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 01:09:51 PM »
Thanks! I'd forgotten about Harper's. Serendipitously, the friend I bought the bike from used the $$ to buy a 3d printer  :grin:

Several local friends have said they also like the brown, but the 70s V7 livery is something I've wanted to do for years. With the rear fender needing repair from the turn signal stalk cracking issue, and the stock brown side covers unusable, it's a reasonable candidate.

How does a hard plastic surface seal? I.e. how is it different from not using a gasket at all?

thanks,
jim

I like the brown, always have since I saw the V50 III in that color new at my local dealer back in the day.

Parts for the early small-blocks aren't as easy to find as parts for the big-blocks of the same period. Harper's may have some hard-to-find bits. Here's the swingarm "spacer": https://harpermoto.com/products/washer-35214300 . The gasket for the taillight lens can be 3D printed. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5608853 You might also want an oil filler plug/dipstick wrench: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3992120

I used 90/90 and 100/90 tires on mine. It seems that no matter what size rear you use, it will need to be aired down to squeeze in.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 01:09:51 PM »

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 01:15:22 PM »
Congrats on your project - looking forward to follow the renovation :boozing:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 03:32:38 PM »

How does a hard plastic surface seal? I.e. how is it different from not using a gasket at all?

I've never tried the 3D printed one myself, I just assumed that it's printed in a more pliable plastic. The original didn't do the greatest job after a few years, so I just leave it out. One could be cut out of thin rubber, foam or even gasket material. 
Charlie

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 02:51:52 PM »
I'm on the fence regarding painting the swingarm and wheels or just leaving them aluminum colored after blasting off the light blue color. Has anyone stripped the cast aluminum wheels and just left them uncoated? How bad do they get? Is Alumaclear a decent low effort coating?

thanks,
jim

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 06:52:36 PM »
I had the swingarm on my V65 blasted and powder coated.
The hardest decision was what color paint to pick.
The swingarm gets hit with road dirt and the powder coating is holding up well.
The shop I used didn't cover all the holes well enough, so I had to chase the pivot pin threads with a tap.
I would use paint stripper instead of blasting.

I've been thinking about doing the rims as well, but a good cleaning and buffing will do it for me.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 06:26:15 PM »
The parts are back from the powder coater. I shoud have gone with my first color instinct of a darker red, but this color matched the V7 Sport pictures I saw, and it's called "Tomato Red", so....

Got the steering head assembled with new bearings into the old races, which I swapped top for bottom. Feels fine, no notches.

The ujoint had some play so I had to order one. If I were smarter I'd have checked it when I disassembled it rather than tonight during reassembly. I found one at http://www.theujointstore.com, hopefully it shows up in reasonable time. Weather was nice here for a few days so I'm getting impatient even though the body parts are probably 3 weeks out.

Someone added extra washers to the rear drive to swingarm connection. I looked on Schnoor's website and the smaller ones (13mm o.d.) are spec'd for M8 bolts. No idea why the 15mm ones were also on there. Has anyone seen this?

jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 10:00:18 PM »
Someone added extra washers to the rear drive to swingarm connection. I looked on Schnoor's website and the smaller ones (13mm o.d.) are spec'd for M8 bolts. No idea why the 15mm ones were also on there. Has anyone seen this?

The flat washers are so that the schnorr washers don't embed themselves into the soft alloy swingarm.
Charlie

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 10:25:50 PM »
That sounds reasonable, except the bigger washers are also Schnoors, and they aren't on the fiche at Harper's. Is it something that was discovered by users afterwards? Should I replace them with flats?

jim

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 08:46:48 AM »

I like that color, especially with the color of the stripes.  Very unique, very European.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 12:24:18 PM »
That sounds reasonable, except the bigger washers are also Schnoors, and they aren't on the fiche at Harper's. Is it something that was discovered by users afterwards? Should I replace them with flats?

jim

Unless they're serrated on both sides, they aren't schnorr washers. The ones that I've found on small-blocks are just fairly soft flat washers that the schnorr washers have left an imprint on.

One thing I learned early in Guzzi ownership is that the manuals don't always agree with how the bikes were actually built.
Charlie

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 04:39:16 PM »
I think I have read somewhere that there is a tractor or Fiat u-joint that is cheaper than stock, but also much stronger?
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 08:57:23 PM »
Unless they're serrated on both sides, they aren't schnorr washers. The ones that I've found on small-blocks are just fairly soft flat washers that the schnorr washers have left an imprint on.

One thing I learned early in Guzzi ownership is that the manuals don't always agree with how the bikes were actually built.

Aha! Thanks! All 4 happened to land "imprint up" on the workbench so I assumed....  :rolleyes: I assembled it tonight (replacing that aluminum one) and added a bit of loctite for good measure. The manual doesn't list a torque spec so I used 28.8, the generic M* spec.

jim

Offline jamesfjamesf

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 09:06:56 PM »
I like that color, especially with the color of the stripes.  Very unique, very European.

It probably would have grown on me, but I'm pretty sure I'll like the new color scheme much better. I've seen R bikes in that brown and I think they're much more suited to it.

jim

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2024, 08:08:48 AM »
It probably would have grown on me, but I'm pretty sure I'll like the new color scheme much better. I've seen R bikes in that brown and I think they're much more suited to it.

jim

Yeah, sometimes pictures can hide ugliness or beauty.  Nothing like seeing the bike in person.

To my eye, that color was something between a brown and an olive green.

In any case, you will have a cool, unique bike, that is personalized.

That is never a bad thing!!   :grin:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2024, 08:45:01 AM »
I nearly bought one when they were new. They were "root beer brown", no olive tint or anything else. My white V50 III was repainted from that color.

Charlie

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2024, 09:31:45 AM »
I nearly bought one when they were new. They were "root beer brown", no olive tint or anything else. My white V50 III was repainted from that color.

Thanks.  That what I originally thought.  The picture is misleading to my eye.

That bike looks good in white with a red & green stripe also.  White is very under rated as a motorcycle color IMO.

The only other bike I know of that used "root beer brown" as a color with the first Kawasaki Z1's.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here