Author Topic: Dangit , it isn't optional (riding that is)  (Read 6717 times)

oldbike54

Dangit , it isn't optional (riding that is)
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »
 Have been having a discussion with some of you guys re motorcycle riding being a compulsion rather than a choice . Think about it , in the face of danger , some of us just can't stop . It seems that some folks simply must ride motorbikes .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Dangit , it isn't optional (riding that is)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »
It's gotten to where I hate even local errands if I have to drive a car.  I told my barber, who is a fairly typical American housewife with no understanding of riding, that to drive a car the 20 minutes to her shop is boring, but to ride is an adventure, usually taking me on a much longer route than necessary just because it's fun.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »
The ride to work.....

15 miles.

The ride home....

who knows??????

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
For decades I've preferred to ride vs. drive in most any situation, but since I got a new(to me) car last June I've broken that pattern.   Maybe I'll get that mindset again.  :undecided: 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
I hate driving.  Only in 4 wheels when I have to.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:24:09 PM »
 Let me clarify , not a comparison between 2 and 4 wheels . More like motorcycles as a drug .

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Yeah.  I'm addicted, and I'm not fighting it anymore.  I've given in and accepted my intrinsic weirdness. 

My ride to work is right at 100 miles round trip.  It is often the case that the two best parts of my day are riding in, and riding home.   It took about two years for the receptionist to stop asking or wondering if I "took the motorcycle in today."   Yes.  The answer is yes.  The answer will always be yes. 105 degrees summer.  Howling rain.  Frigid cold.  Yes, I'm on the bike.   Unless there is ice on the road, in which case I won't ride in (and I won't drive the car either).

I fly a lot.  Park the bike at a Parking Spot near DFW airport.   They all know me--I'm the "motorcycle guy."   They look after the bike and let me park in their employee lot.  They shake their heads too, but have accepted it.

It may be irrational.   But I'm actually more nervous/uncomfortable on a plane.   On a shuttle bus.  In a car when somebody else is driving (which usually means they are barely paying attention). 

To me, it's a profoundly "right brain" kind of activity.   Merging oneself into a machine to create a new and symbiotic entity. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:26:19 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
many a day the highlight of going to work was my Camaro or motorcycle. 

I am retired now and still like to get in 100 miles + or so a week on two wheels. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:31:23 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »
Let me clarify , not a comparison between 2 and 4 wheels . More like motorcycles as a drug .

Dusty

From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36:17 PM »

I am retired now and still like to get in 100 miles + or so a week on two wheels.

I used to be like that when I lived in norCal and had curvy roads nearby.  In fact almost every afternoon I'd ride 1  of my bikes over to the Sacramento river.......drink some beers......then enjoy the curves riding back home.  :boozing:  But here in Arizona that enjoyment is just a memory now.  :sad:   Now I drink the beers in my garage looking at all my rigs almost every night.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
  For some it is an addiction, for some it is a religion, for some it's just butt jewelry.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 08:48:14 PM »
I loved riding the bike for my commute.  Also liked long distance rides, on any road.  My only problem was I didn't put in enough time in the saddle to condition myself for the long distance stuff.

After retiring and not commuting anymore I found I was riding less and less.  When we started getting ready for our move it was easier to sell the bike and quit riding.  So, I sold it and am now another cage driver.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »
  For some it is an addiction, for some it is a religion, for some it's just butt jewelry.

The aforementioned discussions always touch on this idea . I posit that a percentage of us simply can't not ride . If the only motorcycle available to us was a Planeta we would still ride , as opposed to folks who will only ride a certain type or brand of motorcycle .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »
If it has 2 wheels and an engine.  I rather ride than be in a cage.  How's that?  :popcorn:

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »
If it has 2 wheels and an engine.  I rather ride than be in a cage.  How's that?  :popcorn:

Tom , you are still making a choice . I am talking about those of us who simply are compelled to ride.

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
Okay....I'll bite.  I ride a motorcycle because I have to.  How's that???  I ride all rear round.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
Hello. My name is Murray and I am a Guzziholic........
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »
Hello. My name is Murray and I am a Guzziholic........

Murray , what if the only bike available was a Marusho , would you still ride ?

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
Hang it Dusty. It's a V twin going the right way! :thumb:

There was one showed up at the Christchurch swap Meet last year. Went back home on the trailer and did not come back this year. Wanted stoopid money for it and lets face it, they weren't exactly bullet proof. :shocked:   Yeah, I would have one if someone gave me one, problems and all. Yes, I would most certainly ride one. It would certainly have the uniqueness of the Guzzi. :grin:
03 Breva

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 11:02:07 PM »
 What if there were only.Chang Jiangs Muzz ?

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:47 PM »

One doesn't have to limit himself to motorcycles available for purchase.  One can make his own.  For example you build a motorcycle that uses an American automotive V-8 for power.  No one has ever done anything like that before!
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:56 PM »
One doesn't have to limit himself to motorcycles available for purchase.  One can make his own.  For example you build a motorcycle that uses an American automotive V-8 for power.  No one has ever done anything like that before!

:laugh: Yeah , but rather than copy Boss Hoss , I would probably use a small V6 from a Renault Clio, or that little Mazda V6 . Better yet , a Fiat Topolino motor  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 11:45:34 PM »
I  first started riding MCs in my youth for their economy compared to a car.   That was over 55 years ago.  Then a few years later I rode everywhere for basic economical transportation.  Then I progressed to amateur road racing in soCal after I stripped down my street bike for the weekend. That's when I knew I was hooked on riding MCs.  And it was years before I got a Guzzi.  :kiss:   In fact the real reason I ended up getting a Guzzi is because my soon to be 2nd wife decided she wasn't going to ride on the back of my `78 650 Yamaha Std. any more.  :huh:   If it wasn't for her I may have never gotten a MG even though I had lusted for a LM I on display @ a dealer prior.  But at that point in my life a MG was too pricey for me.   Any way my SO helped me buy a used CX100 and the rest of the story is history.  :bow:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:48:27 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 04:22:40 AM »

Dusty

You are a hard man Dusty. :evil:

Flat twins have never rocked my boat at the best of times. However, if there were ONLY Chang Jiangs I would take one for the team. I might need the odd  :boozing: though.
03 Breva

Penderic

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »
Sometimes its real easy to tell which riders are  err, serious!  :grin:

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »
I very much enjoy motorcycles but at this point in my life riding in uncomfortable conditions is not enjoyable so I no longer do it if I do not have to. I have always been a "buffet" type person concerning life activities more so than an al la Carte type that is zeroed in to one activity.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 06:46:32 AM »
I find myself riding less in traffic and more in the country now that I'm retired. Seems that I can't stop. Some days I have a bad feeling like it's not safe, I stay home.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
Hopelessly hooked here  :thumb:

Nick

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 07:25:22 AM »
I very much enjoy motorcycles but at this point in my life riding in uncomfortable conditions is not enjoyable so I no longer do it if I do not have to. I have always been a "buffet" type person concerning life activities more so than an al la Carte type that is zeroed in to one activity.
GliderJohn

This is one I understand more now.

The last long distance ride I made was one of those.  Started in the morning at about 35deg.  All my stuff on with heated gear.  By 10am it was up to 70 so shed the heated stuff.  At noon it was in the 90's so I stripped down and went to shorts and tshirt under my jacket/pants.  After dinner the temp started dropping again.  Stripped back down to add layers again.  Ended up stopping when it was in the 40's again.

Yep it was a real PITA.  While riding I love it, but, all the temp changes I go through on a ride make it just too much trouble.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 09:32:06 AM »
I admit I am addicted to the physics part of riding.  The acceleration, balancing on two wheels, wind & weather, braking, and all important leaning through a curve (even if it is just a 90 degree intersection).  If I'm not on a bike, I still think about going around a corner and lifting the front wheel on exit...  Doesn't matter what type of bike, and I've been fortunate to have owned all types in my life, I just want to ride them all (some more than others of course).  Only bikes that I can think of that I don't have the urge to ride when I see them are some of the chopper things that have come out. 

There are a bunch of 4 wheel vehicles that turn me on, but many that don't evoke any passion at all, think Camry.  Sports cars, hot rods, 4X4 trucks and Jeeps, even 4 wheelers and side by sides, doesn't matter, I guess I'm just a gear head.  Oh, and I like riding my bicycle also!  Oh, and fast boats too, and fast sail boats as long as the breeze is up and it will plane.  Speaking of planes, yes! From my college buddy's old 1939 Piper Cub to Scott's bi-plane, to Sean's Cirrus...   :evil:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here