Author Topic: So..how screwed am I?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline PaulH

• New Egg
Re: So..how screwed am I?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2021, 07:20:02 AM »
I feel your pain--almost. I bought an '04 EV1100 without knowing anything about the dreaded hydro problem. After learning that I might be riding a grenade with the pin pulled, I checked under the valve covers and discovered the recall had not been done. However, the bike runs flawlessly. My solution: 1. Use 5W40 synthetic oil. 2. After 3000 miles I sent an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis. Results cam back with no concerns whatsoever. 3. Ride it until it breaks. It may run forever. 4. I spent another $1900 on a 2000 Jackal, so if the EV blows I will still be able to ride in style. It was cheaper than the hydro fix.

At least I'm not alone! I think I'm coming down off the ledge, it seems like its possible to have one of these without the update that doesnt have any issues, and it seems like this is probably one of those. Also checked and it has a dual plate clutch, and no cracks in the triple tree, so i've got that going for me!

I think I'm going to have the same basic idea as Burkslaw, it's got fresh 5w-40 in it, and seems to be working OK, though I think i've got a dodgy ignition switch, and conveniently it seems that you can't buy only the electrical part of the  switch, so for now its been cleaned and lubed and I'm going to hope for the best.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2021, 07:36:18 PM »
Paul, I can't say enough good things about the Blackstone oil analysis. I think it was about $30, and they send you the required bottle and packaging to send it off to them. The report I got back was very detailed, taking into consideration the oil I use and the fact that it was from a Guzzi engine, and calmed me down. Now I just worry about the electrics. Ha!

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »
I forgot to mention. You can look up what recalls are needed or have been done by the VIN.

http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-motoguzzi_en.html

OR: Owners may contact Piaggio customer service at 1-212-380-4433. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or check your VIN to see if you are affected by the recall at www.nhtsa.gov

If your going to leave it alone, I would at the least, consider changing the valve springs.

Again, good luck!!!!!!!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:58 PM »
Never trust Moto Guzzi supplied information on recalls from this era. It is notoriously inaccurate! The information stream between dealers and Guzzi was disrupted by many things. I saw bikes that had all the recalls done according to Guzzi, that had never been touched. These were not casual or isolated incidents!

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:58 PM »

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 09:14:21 PM »

Begs the question...who sells the quality kit ? ?

Offline PaulH

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »
So, as a follow up, I've decided that my buyer's remorse was premature, after chasing gremlins, I finally figured out why it was running like shit today. Turns out the off brand spark plug caps were going wrong, I had spotted them initially and didn't think much of it, but a new pair of NGKs and it runs like a dream!  :bike-037:

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 07:45:37 PM »

Thanks for the follow up. Always good to have a happy outcome, and just in time for St. Valentines Day, now you can start your love affair with your Guzzi :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2021, 06:16:59 AM »
Paul, If I did nothing else I would change the valve springs. It can be done with head still on and would relieve the one thing we know was a problem.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here