Author Topic: Two nice days of early March weather  (Read 380 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Two nice days of early March weather
« on: March 10, 2021, 08:01:31 PM »
Thank goodness.  Here in NE Ohio, we were gifted with a couple of sunny, 60 degree days.  I used them to:
- Tues morning.  Pick up a Jeep Wrangler 4 dr rental and experience driving it for 100+ miles.  It's decision time.
- Tues afternoon.  Do the tire pressure thing, then take the Triumph T120 out for 60-70 mile ride.  Ahhhhhh!
- Wed morning.  Finish up with road testing Wrangler, and return to Enterprise Rental.
- Wed afternoon.  Fire up the 1991 R100GS, and go for 100 mile ride.  Another ahhhhhhhh!  She ran so nicely!

That's probably my riding season for the next few weeks, since we're returning to mid-March NE Ohio weather.  But it was such a nice break, just to be able to get out on the bikes once again!

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Two nice days of early March weather
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:27:16 PM »
Thank goodness.  Here in NE Ohio, we were gifted with a couple of sunny, 60 degree days.  I used them to:
- Tues morning.  Pick up a Jeep Wrangler 4 dr rental and experience driving it for 100+ miles.  It's decision time.
- Tues afternoon.  Do the tire pressure thing, then take the Triumph T120 out for 60-70 mile ride.  Ahhhhhh!
- Wed morning.  Finish up with road testing Wrangler, and return to Enterprise Rental.
- Wed afternoon.  Fire up the 1991 R100GS, and go for 100 mile ride.  Another ahhhhhhhh!  She ran so nicely!

That's probably my riding season for the next few weeks, since we're returning to mid-March NE Ohio weather.  But it was such a nice break, just to be able to get out on the bikes once again!

Bob
Well what about the Jeep?

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Two nice days of early March weather
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »
Dan, I was waiting for that.  I'm attaching comments I sent to a fellow Guzzi rider:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure about the Wrangler.  It is a beast of a machine.  Felt like (aside from no OD Green paint) that I was back in the Army Reserves.  Put roughly 100 miles on it today, and will do more before returning tomorrow at noon.

It's not a bad machine at all ....... all kinds of levers and things to keep one's interest.  My rental had the 8 speed automatic transmission and V6 engine ..... plenty of punch!

The ride was sort of ok ....... I drove it out to Burton on the roads I typically ride on the bikes, and it did fine.  What I'm not sure about is the steering.  Seemed to require (on some roads) keeping a close eye on the road, since the Jeep required fairly regular steering correction inputs. Don't know whether that is characteristic of all of them, or just my rental unit. It was a 2021, with only 14,000 miles on it.

It isn't something one can take the doors off of in 5 minutes, for summertime fun. The rear top is removable, but it would take (a) either two persons, or (b) a lift, which is available, that would have to be installed in my garage to lift the rear section of the top off the Jeep.  The front section of this particular model had a removable front section that can be stored in the 'trunk.'  Others have "T" tops, similar to the pony car tops during the 1970s. 

I think if I was younger, and was buying instead of leasing, it might be ok.  There's lots of aftermarket stuff available for the Wranglers.  Their resale seems to be good.

But I think to fully appreciate this vehicle would require dedication (which translates to $$$$.)  I think these vehicles might require the dedication I've had with my bikes, and I don't think I'm willing to put that much into yet another hobby.

I will say that it is an interesting machine.  Though I'm questioning if I would want it for my one and only vehicle.  It'd be one hell of an Arizona car, where one could leave the doors and roof off for most of their 'cold' season (Oct thru Apr.)  Problem is ..... I live in NE Ohio, not Arizona!

Damn, I must be getting old!!!  And way too practical!

Bob

PS - Wrangler not totally ruled out, but the Mazda CX 30 is probably the right way to go ......... in-line 4 with 220hp++ turbo, and AWD ..... and sunroof.  I'm familiar with the drivetrain, since the turbo engine is identical to the one in my 2018 Mazda6.  It's a nice drivetrain.

Maybe the most practical option is to buy out my 2018 Mazda6.  Nice car, in great shape.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:50:05 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here