Author Topic: Worlds Fastest Indian  (Read 1271 times)

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
  • 1971 Ambassador, MGNOC# 11324
Worlds Fastest Indian
« on: March 28, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
We have all probably seen this at least once but it is free on youtube right now....I always enjoy it and then go for a fast right down a local 4 lane with half helmet and goggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fK1pZ38lqw

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Worlds Fastest Indian
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:42:35 AM »
Not in Canada it's not, just as well I have the CD
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 01:02:49 AM »
 There was something strange about the distribution contracts for the movie , it showed for one day here in Muskogee , and was gone . Had planned on seeing it in the theater , no luck . No doubt it is a brilliant movie , Hopkins got to show his comedic chops a little .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:16:53 AM »
I never met Burt Munro, he was down at the bottom of the South Island but we used to hear stories about him.
Hopkins did a great job of playing an eccentric old Kiwi, I could recognise some of the ones I know in his portrayal.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:16:53 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:47:47 AM »
He didn’t let the grass grow under his feet with that lady on the farm. He’s no slouch in the boudoir either..
World’s fastest Kiwi... :kiss: :wink:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:49:32 AM by Huzo »

Offline bassa99

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:19:14 AM »
This is the only movie I cried while watching. The scene when the other racers pitched in money for him got me. Still does as I type now.
Classic film.
1999 Bassa
2001 Confederate Hellcat
1974 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando restoration project

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »
 If you can get the DVD the movie is great,but on the DVD you have interviews and film of Munro I like it as much as the movie.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
We saw one of the Premiers in Rochester a few weeks before it was released to the public. The other was in New York City. Dianne Ladd (old lady on the farm) did the presentation. It was held in the Dryden theater which is on George Eastman’s old estate. A smaller theater probably 2/3rds filled with bikers. I also have the DVD and worth having for the extra content with Burt.

Pete

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
The DVD contains the original documentary as well as the Hopkin's movie.   For sure it's worth a pick up at the bargain bin and is a keeper.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
Quote from: jguzzi
We have all probably seen this at least once

I watched the opening when I was in Auckland, New Zealand.  That was especially fun because there were quite a number of people in the audience who were in the movie--or were somehow connected with it, so there were frequent call-outs during some scenes as people identified themselves or people they knew as the otherwise ignored actors in the crowd scenes.  Naturally, the movie received a loud ovation from that crowd.

here's the lobby of the theater complex in Auckland; a large multilevel thing.

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »
Such a great movie. I bought the DVD. I've loaned it out several times. Even the non-gearheads, both male and female, have enjoyed it. My favorite part is when he's putting shoe polish in the cracks of his tires  :laugh:
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Online Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 07:41:51 AM »
I’ve watched it several times. Still my favorite movie.

Offline randy yocum

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 10:24:13 AM »
I was at a MGNOC national rally I think it was in Elkader Iowa that year, the same  year the movie came out,  someone connected to the rally was able to commander the local movie theater to show the film for all the rally goers ,The theater was packed with Moto Guzzi club members only , which was very cool... I never seen the film before so it was pretty exciting . Still one of my top 5 favorite movies...
2012 Stelvio NTX
2007 Norge
1998 EV
1981 V-1000 G-5
1997 Ducati 900ss
1983 XL 600R bought new
1978 XS 1100

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 02:48:42 PM »
Many years ago there was a doco shown here.  At one stage as they were heading towards Bonneville they blundered into a restricted military zone.  Things were getting tense with armed military police, especially when they saw a camera in operation.  One of them asked what was under the tarpaulin.  When told it was a bike one of them whipped the cover off, took one look, instantly knew who it was, invited them back to base and gave them all a right royal reception.

I still find it quite sad that an MP in the middle of nowhere can recognise Burt's Indian while, until at least until the film was released, many kiwis simply didn't know who Burt Munro was and what he achieved.

Sad he was never named Sportsman of the Year here.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 05:53:58 PM »
It is a bummer that he wasn't embraced or recognized more substantially at home at the time.  the fact that he did what he did regardless of that makes his story even more relatable to many who try to do the similar things.  Essentially doing it for & by yourself no matter what, especially on a motorcycle, really resonates with me. 

It's one of my favorite movies, period.  I really appreciate the mechanical aspect of the movie being very realistic, not typical made-up bs by some writer or director who knows nothing about engines or machines.  I did a small steel sculpture of his streamliner a few years ago for the local AMCA chapter, named the Legends chapter in honor of the legendary Burt Munro,  He is their icon, inspiration, mascot, whatever.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

LesP

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 06:26:27 PM »
It is a bummer that he wasn't embraced or recognized more substantially at home at the time. 

Its not really like that in New Zealand, he just did some stuff and it worked out, remembering he was at the other end of the country in the days of lesser communications.
There was no television until mid 1960 which were expensive and powered by steam so only for the fancy folk.

The guy who built/flew a plane before the Wright brothers was no different, have a crack and off he went for a bit. I think a gorse bush cushioned the landing.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 09:56:59 PM »
I
The guy who built/flew a plane before the Wright brothers was no different, have a crack and off he went for a bit. I think a gorse bush cushioned the landing.

Richard Pearse, farmer and inventor.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 10:14:24 PM »
Quote from: LesP
The guy who built/flew a plane

I took this photo of the (it is claimed) very accurate replica in the Auckland Museum.  I've no doubt that the builder was a fun guy to have a drink with, but unfortunately, there's no way this thing ever flew.  I'm not sure it'd even be able to move on the ground under its own power as it had a pretty weak engine and it looks really heavy (plenty of steel).  Having small, flat wings (with no airfoil shape at all) might have kept it from flipping over in a breeze, so that's a good thing.  This replica was was said to have flown, too, but witnesses were not available, unfortunately, and I gather they decided not to try it again.  A museum is probably the safest place for it.  By the way, there's a museum in Kansas with the worlds very first helicopter on display (also, built by a farmer).  Sadly, there's just no way it could ever have flown.

Online JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 09:36:39 PM »
Been one of my favorites since I first saw it, years ago. I hadn't watched it in years, until this thread came up. Still love it. I also just came across this fun interview about him: https://youtu.be/HjQxQTAlxpg
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 09:53:12 PM »
I took this photo of the (it is claimed) very accurate replica in the Auckland Museum.  I've no doubt that the builder was a fun guy to have a drink with, but unfortunately, there's no way this thing ever flew.  I'm not sure it'd even be able to move on the ground under its own power as it had a pretty weak engine and it looks really heavy (plenty of steel).  Having small, flat wings (with no airfoil shape at all) might have kept it from flipping over in a breeze, so that's a good thing.  This replica was was said to have flown, too, but witnesses were not available, unfortunately, and I gather they decided not to try it again.  A museum is probably the safest place for it.  By the way, there's a museum in Kansas with the worlds very first helicopter on display (also, built by a farmer).  Sadly, there's just no way it could ever have flown.

The French guy was probably the first to get airborne , the Wrights were probably the first to achieve controlled flight .

I've seen the Kansas Helo , you are correct , it can't fly  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:51 PM »
That looks like Chuck's new plane!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 06:15:41 AM »
The French guy was probably the first to get airborne , the Wrights were probably the first to achieve controlled flight .

I've seen the Kansas Helo , you are correct , it can't fly  :laugh:

Dusty
Controlled flight is what made the Wright's a success. What you might expect from bicycle riders with a hands on approach..Their aircraft was as light as possible, a 200 pound engine that was only expected to run for a very brief time with only as much power as needed...Brilliant thinking for the time...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 06:39:29 AM »
a 200 pound engine that was only expected to run for a very brief time with only as much power as needed.
Sounds like most Guzzi’s..

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 07:37:19 AM »
Controlled flight is what made the Wright's a success. What you might expect from bicycle riders with a hands on approach..Their aircraft was as light as possible, a 200 pound engine that was only expected to run for a very brief time with only as much power as needed...Brilliant thinking for the time...

Then there is Gustav Whitehead. Claimed to have achieved controlled, powered flight before Orville and Wilbur.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 07:54:49 AM »
 World's Fastest Indian. ? How about the world's fastest Triumph. At least in land speed racing modified production pushrod gas class. The 650 Triumph I built from a pile of parts was the first  naked frame 650 pushrod production based bike to set a speed record over 130 mph...

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 11:16:38 AM »
I enjoyed the movie however I saw it after I had read the book. The movie took a lot of liberties for more effect. The book explained why he did some of the things he did and most weren't because he had no money to do what he did. The movie made a big deal of his using used tires for his runs. He did this not because he couldn't afford new tires but he wanted worn ones because they had less tread. Generous tread would lead to more drag, at least in his mind. He used plow shares to make some parts, not because he couldn't afford to buy steel but that the steel in the plow shares was of very high quality. He was amazing.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here