Author Topic: What is the future for MG?  (Read 12344 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What is the future for MG?
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2021, 07:33:07 AM »
I visited the local H-D dealer to check out the PanAm; I knew more about it than the salesman, and the manager had no idea when they would get one.
They had one of their electrics on the floor so I asked if I could sit on it. I'm long in the waist, about like your typical 6'3" guy.  On the bike I was stretched like this young lady - there was no way I would take that bike for a test ride.

Dan

While waiting to have tires put on my Stornello rims a couple weeks ago, I drove over to my local Harley dealer and did the same. No Pan Americas yet, but he took my number. They also had one of the electrics on the showroom floor. Was a decent looking bike and F&F was impressive. I asked how many they sold, and all I got was a blank stare. They also had a few AMF color schemed Sportster 1200 Irons that caught my eye. Not bad for around $10K.

As I wandered the floor, I was shocked at the sales prices.... Many bikes were in the mid #30K range!
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2021, 07:42:21 AM »
The dealer experience has to change I've never met a sales person who knew even minimal history of the brand or any past models plus they never even stock basic maintenance items

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »
The dealer experience has to change I've never met a sales person who knew even minimal history of the brand or any past models plus they never even stock basic maintenance items
And worse than that, there are states now with no or maybe one minimal one like in my state, does not help the cause.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »
Has the dealer situation ever been good from a national stand point?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
Has the dealer situation ever been good from a national stand point?

In the 40 plus years of ownership, nothing much changes.

Everybody say it is going broke, but it just soldiers on.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2021, 01:52:19 PM »
In the 40 plus years of ownership, nothing much changes.

Everybody say it is going broke, but it just soldiers on.
Yep, I think your take is right and the loyal owners club, as you are, is what has proped the brand up over the years. The folks on this forum makes this evident. 
This being the way it is, my original question is still Revelant. The company now has two motor platforms, small and smaller, is that substantial for any motorcycle company? I know it would put any of the other brands down in short order, I know HD and Honda would fall.

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »
The may ‘21 mgnoc newsletter has a very interesting article on the Guzzi small block. The article originally appeared in cycle world. I found it very informative.

Also an interesting press release from Piaggio about forming a consortium with KTM, Honda, and Yamaha to develop battery technology for bikes. I’m pretty excited about having the option as I get older to have an electric bike for runabout duty.

Electric will be a game changer for bikes IMO. Especially if they’re direct drive, no shifting. And power? Just watch Tesla p100d drag races. Solid 10.5 quarter miles out of a family sedan.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2021, 08:35:31 PM »
I was given a Zero as a loaner while my V7 was getting its first and last dealer service. I liked riding it. I liked it a lot. I would have one as a local bike but the price will have to come down, quite a bit btw.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:01 PM »
Yes, I guess we are really splitting hairs here.   
Rider posted these numbers, 

"Strapped onto the Borla Performance Dynojet dynamometer, the Breva spun up 71.7 rear-wheel horsepower at 7,400 rpm and 56.3 lb-ft of torque peaked at 5,500 revs."

My V11 Sport ran 77 HP on Don's Dyno Jet. 

Those aren't Shetland ponies,  :embarrassed:

they're Clydesdale's!    :bow:

:bike-037:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2021, 10:03:46 PM »
Yep, I think your take is right and the loyal owners club, as you are, is what has proped the brand up over the years. The folks on this forum makes this evident. 
This being the way it is, my original question is still Revelant. The company now has two motor platforms, small and smaller, is that substantial for any motorcycle company? I know it would put any of the other brands down in short order, I know HD and Honda would fall.

It seems to work for Royal Enfield. IMHO, that's where Piaggio has now placed Moto Guzzi due to engine size and quirkiness (uniqueness). Except that Royal Enfield is one of the worlds largest motorcycle manufacturers where Moto Guzzi is one of the smallest. At this point though, Moto Guzzi is limited to the smaller end of the road bike spectrum. 

Earlier this week a colleague in Chicago said he's wanted a 750cc Moto Guzzi for years. He looked around at his 'local' dealer options and was not at all impressed. I suggested taking a ride over to Blue Ash, OH to Cadre Cycle. He said: "why, the local Royal Enfield dealerships are fine and supportive. I think I'll just go that route. Plus they'ye making great bikes now." No point to argue with those facts.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2021, 11:00:31 PM »
I was talking to one of my forum Pals last night and after our conversation ended a question became apparent to me, what is the future of the moto Guzzi brand of motorcycle.
They no longer produce the newest line, 1400s, which was their future for touring  and cruiser bikes at the time of introduction. They no longer offer the ole work horse 1100 series, which was used in most all of the versions of riding needs and desires of Guzzi riders, so what’s left?
Personally for the kind of bikes I prefer being cruiser/ tourers, the future looks kind of bleak:(.
What say my fellow Guzzi enthusiast?

Since its introduction in 2009, the clear road ahead for Guzzi has been the V7 Classics and other small block offerings.

1100 Tonti ended a decade ago with the Calvin 90th Anniversary bike.

Tha CARC era ended with the Grist 8V SE.

The big block era ended with the Cal14.

Nothing followed those cancelations, except more new versions of small block bikes.

The future is chiseled in stone. 

Piaggio electric bikes with Guzzi badges will follow the small blocks.

"And that's the way it is, cause Stone Cold says so"
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:42 PM »
Since its introduction in 2009, the clear road ahead for Guzzi has been the V7 Classics and other small block offerings.

:laugh: That is a funny commercial , one of the few that registers .

Dusty

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2021, 05:59:55 AM »
I will be very surprised if MG comes out with an electric. MG has been known, at least lately, for a couple things that make them desirable - the transverse V-twin and their affordability. Electric throws out both of these. If anyone in the Piaggio stable gets electric, it’ll be Aprilia for performance, or the scooters because it makes way more sense for scooters to be electric at this point. I just don’t see MG going electric, at least not for a while yet. Besides, if they did, that move would be AHEAD of the competition—how often do we see that from the brand? Liquid-cooling just makes sense—keep the looks, maintain emissions standard, stay in business.

Like my favorite rap group Public Enemy said:

“Don’t believe the hype.”

...BOYYYYYYYEEEEEEE EEEEEEEE.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2021, 08:01:29 AM »

A modern day Galletto, the Gallectto.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/433948/moto-guzzi-galletto-hybrid-concept-design/
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2021, 08:33:57 AM »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
Vespa already has two electric scooters.  The Elettrica.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »
Vespa already has two electric scooters.  The Elettrica.

i want the big wheels and the concept bike's styling... plus a MG badge on it!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

oldbike54

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2021, 02:52:39 PM »
 Can't come up with a name for an E Guzzi that matches PlugIndian , the best I have so far is MotoElectrica ,which is really weak .

Dusty

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2021, 05:16:34 PM »
I still think a Guzzi could be electric; heads and cylinders are the motors, with a big bevel gear on the crankshaft, gearbox replaced with a battery bank. Then you have that hot torque monster!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2021, 06:45:01 PM »

1100 Tonti ended a decade ago with the Calvin 90th Anniversary bike.

Tha CARC era ended with the Grist 8V SE.

The big block era ended with the Cal14.

Nothing followed those cancelations, except more new versions of small block bikes.

The future is chiseled in stone. 

If your assessment comes to be, I simply can’t see a very large percentage of this forums generation supporting future bike sales for the MG brand. I realize I’m just an individual and possibly not the majority, however I’d be surprised to find out I’m the Minority in the subject. Unless, like Dusty and I agreed to that an 850 touring bike in either sport touring and/or cruiser style both dressed like a true touring bike should be in the future plans. And that’s not like my 1400 came as a so called Touring bike, which it was far from such.
Also let me clarify this. I’m not saying MG is going out of business or that I’m not going to own and ride a MG because I really love these bikes, just that I would probably not want to go out a buy one of the newer models 👍
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:18:18 PM by Ncdan »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2021, 06:52:37 PM »
Know body here has any clue.
Time reveals what will be.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2021, 06:57:49 PM »
I suppose I'm a old dinosaur, but I think MG hit their high mark with the Calvin 90th Anniversary bike. My Cali's were my favorite MGs and that one really struck me as "right" in so many ways. Still wish I could've afforded one back in the day. The EV with tubeless rims was pretty damned awesome as well.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2021, 07:20:02 PM »
I suppose I'm a old dinosaur, but I think MG hit their high mark with the Calvin 90th Anniversary bike. My Cali's were my favorite MGs and that one really struck me as "right" in so many ways. Still wish I could've afforded one back in the day. The EV with tubeless rims was pretty damned awesome as well.
And that’s exactly where I’m at also, SC👍

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2021, 02:09:24 AM »
Emissions regulations are going to dictate more of all future motorbikes harder than anything else regardless of manufacturers plans unfortunately. This ludicrous push to end gasoline engines by 2025/2030/2035 etc stuff, is going to be a gigantic cluster in how it affects motorcycles as well and may well kill the industry as we know it.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2021, 04:40:57 AM »

I couldn't agree more. I currently have 4 "older" Guzzi's and if I keep them up as I do will out last me. If my EV or Cali ever get too heavy for me to ride I'll just quit, toss in the towel and just go fishing on the bank.
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2021, 09:31:33 AM »
if the biggest bike Guzzi had in 2001 was an 850, I'd be riding a Triumph T-bird triple.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:37 AM »
Yes, bleak.

I was at a local event for the 100th Anniversary a couple of weekends ago (thanks Mario, good fun).

There were 100-ish bikes there. One V85 and a V7, I think. And a single. Every other bike was a big block. And very few riders looked under 50, if any.

You know what they say about languages when there are no longer any native speakers under about 5 years old? Yeah...we're some way past that stage...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
Yes, bleak.

I was at a local event for the 100th Anniversary a couple of weekends ago (thanks Mario, good fun).

There were 100-ish bikes there. One V85 and a V7, I think. And a single. Every other bike was a big block. And very few riders looked under 50, if any.

You know what they say about languages when there are no longer any native speakers under about 5 years old? Yeah...we're some way past that stage...

Maybe younger riders don't want to hang out with a bunch of old guys anyway.

Maybe the younger riders are riding V85s and V7s and not going to stupid "anniversary" celebrations they don't care about (yet).

Maybe those same younger riders will become older riders and go to the 125th or 150th anniversary celebrations because they will be old and boring then too?!?

Only partially tongue-in-cheek.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:53 AM »
Different times - different cultures. This thread is quickly starting to look like old curmudgeons vs new owners.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

oldbike54

« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
Different times - different cultures. This thread is quickly starting to look like old curmudgeons vs new owners.

Yes , and maybe we can avoid going down this path . Just like when most of us were 25 and wanted something different than a 1948 panhead , young folks now might not want what us old guys want .

Remember when Honda really started making inroads in the American market and older guys were saying crazy shyte like how bleak the future looks?
Well I do  :laugh: E bikes will eventually be the industry standard , no prediction as to when that will happen , but it will . In 20 years future riders who are now 10 years old will simply accept E bikes , that's how things work . I choose to not visit the tyranny of today on future generations , they get to make their own mistakes  :grin:

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here