Author Topic: Clutch service life  (Read 788 times)

Offline yackee

• Gosling
Clutch service life
« on: May 12, 2021, 06:09:07 PM »
I just had the financially unpleasant experience of my VW GTI's slave cylinder (can we still say that?) failing, and, once you get into the tranny, replacing the clutch. A deuce + later, I have a brand-new clutch system in an 80k mile car that my daughter drives and puts a new dent in every couple of months.

Got me thinking about my '76 T3. Runs great. 46,000 miles. Clutch, presumably original, works fine. One hiccup a few years ago required me to fiddle with what's accessible without "crabbing". No dealer who will work on this bike within many, many miles. How much life do you think I have left? I can do lots of stuff myself, but tranny work is beyond my capabilities or interest.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Clutch service life
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 06:36:17 PM »
The clutch is not tranny work and actually pretty easy to do if you have time and tools. You don't have to open the tranny just pull it off the back of the motor to access the clutch.
But, I'd just keep riding it and not worry unless it starts slipping or has some other breakdown, it might just last the life of the bike.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 06:42:43 PM »
Had one guy at work who destroyed a clutch in his car every 20K miles.

Got 350K miles out of my Honda Accord clutch before I sold the car.
100K miles out of my BMW R60/2 clutch before I sold the bike.
Replaced my T3 clutch at 75K miles only because I was in there for transmission work.
60K on my EV clutch only because I was in there for oil leak.
So I've never worn a clutch out and grew up on standard transmissions.

Only time clutch wears (slips) is starting from a standstill. Properly executed this is a very short wear interval. They should last a really long time.

Teach your daughter to drive standard or her next car should be automatic transmission.

YMMV
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 07:51:31 PM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 06:50:22 PM »
My Norge has 194,000 on the original clutch and it is still fine.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 06:50:22 PM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 06:53:00 PM »
I just had the financially unpleasant experience of my VW GTI's slave cylinder (can we still say that?) failing, and, once you get into the tranny, replacing the clutch. A deuce + later, I have a brand-new clutch system in an 80k mile car that my daughter drives and puts a new dent in every couple of months.

Got me thinking about my '76 T3. Runs great. 46,000 miles. Clutch, presumably original, works fine. One hiccup a few years ago required me to fiddle with what's accessible without "crabbing". No dealer who will work on this bike within many, many miles. How much life do you think I have left? I can do lots of stuff myself, but tranny work is beyond my capabilities or interest.

The question about expected clutch life is impossible to answer. Same as tire life on a car. The operator makes such a disproportional impact on the service life of both it's virtually impossible to answer. Ditto for brake pads.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:53:59 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 07:12:32 PM »
  Long before any of my clutches slipped they became awkward to find neutral at a stop light . Invariably because of clutch
hub notching ( these at the time were the 2mm hubs ) I'm on my first 4mm hub and am hoping to not go in there again .
As above "YMMV" . Peter

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 09:53:18 AM »

It will last maybe another 100,000, or even 200,000 miles.
OR
The transmission will leak, soak it with oil next week, and it will need replaced.
OR
A clutch plate will crack and need replaced tomorrow.
OR
You could go ride it and clear your head of such worries.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »
^ I'm going with "Waynes"  4th idea  :bow:. Peter

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
....No dealer who will work on this bike within many, many miles....

A private mechanic who works on Guzzis just west of Madison was recommended to me. I spoke to him once and thought he seemed competent, but I haven't actually had him work on my bikes. Send a PM if you'd like his name and number.

I agree your original question of how many miles your clutch has left is impossible to answer. I replaced mine at 28K and again at 37K. The first was due to abuse by the previous owner. The second was due to me trying to get by with a cheap fix. If you fix yours, don't be cheap. Replace the 2mm hub with the 4mm; you'll probably need to replace the flywheel due to notches in the drive slots too.

Moto

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Clutch service life
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 03:19:53 AM »
All I'll say here is, you're slightly concerned about using the word 'slave', then you go on to use 'tranny' twice in the same post!!    :grin: :shocked: 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:21:15 AM by John Warner »
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 04:22:54 AM »
All I'll say here is, you're slightly concerned about using the word 'slave', then you go on to use 'tranny' twice in the same post!!    :grin: :shocked:
I wanted to elude to that, but thought I’d better wait for someone else.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here