General Category > General Discussion

High costs associated with maintaining a BMW motorcycle.

(1/5) > >>

Perazzimx14:
Getting ready to perform a 50K service on a Hexhead BMW and have compiled outrageously priced fluids and filters and all the specialty tools

Parts and fluids

•   5 quarts Mobil-1 15W-50 = $22.37 per 5 quarts only need 4 quarts so $17.89 worth of oil
•   1-pint SuperTech DOT4 = $2.22
•   1 liter of SuperTech 75W-90 gear oil (800cc's transmission, 180cc's rear drive) = $8.54
•   1 Mahale LX983/2 air filter = $17.00
•   1 HiFlo 164 oil filter = $8.41

Sub Total         $56.04
PA 6% tax        $ 3.24
Total               $59.28
Oil Rebate     -$  8.00

Total = $51.28 is worst case scenario. If the air filter does not need replaced total costs come in at $33.26.

Specialty tools.

Free Mt Dew bottle and a section of poly tubing for a brake fluid catch can
$4 small animal water bottle to make the rear drive easier to refill
8mm combo wrench
10mm combo wrench
Torx sockets
Allen head sockets
Flux brush
0.15mm and 0.30mm feeler gauges
Spark plug socket
Ratchet and extensions

So with $30 - $50 in materials a handful of common hand tools, $15 in beer and an afternoon of tinkering in the garage working on the bike and listening to the radio it'll ready to go.

JJ:
QUOTE:  So with $30 - $50 in materials a handful of common hand tools, $15 in beer and an afternoon of tinkering in the garage working on the bike and listening to the radio it'll ready to go.

If you are doing your own labor, that does not seem to bad at all... :wink: :thumb: :cool:

Take it to the BMW dealer - $125 per hour (or more) for labor and probably even more for the same parts!! :rolleyes: :shocked:

twowheeladdict:
I don't think anyone would dispute the cost to change fluids yourself being reasonable. 

I know you are trying to make a point, but what you are presenting could be held true for most bikes, and even better for bikes with hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

People talk about the cost to repair and the frequency of repairs when discussing BMW bikes.

Notice that BMW reduced their warranty from unlimited mileage to 36,000 miles.

Since BMW rates as one of the lowest in reliability I guess it all comes down to whether you get a good one or not regarding cost to own once the warranty is up.

mechanicsavant:
Maintainance kits from Beemer boneyard & adv.web videos .ya should save enough for a couple “octoberfest “ cocktails! Now if it’s an inline 6Cyl. Sell the least favorite child !

Moparnut72:
Compared to where I live those prices are quite good.
kk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version