Author Topic: Rocker59's Spine Frame Chronicles...  (Read 119262 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re:
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
It seems the burping was a success this morning. 20 miles of highway then stopped to burp the rear end. No drips. 30 more miles of highway and then stops to burp the rear end no drips showing. Then 50 high speed miles back home. When I arrived home no splatter No drips. Looked good. I went ahead and burp again for the heck of it. but it seems okay today.

The first seal lasted thirty thousand miles. So not complaining. not sure why I had splatters and drips yesterday, hopefully today's burping solved the problem

The Square in Kingston.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:21:20 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Rocker59's Spine Frame Chronicles...
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
Just back from a nice, long weekend in Colorado with the Sport 1100.  The bike performed surprisingly well.  I was expecting a fuel economy hit with the FCR41s up at altitude, but was surprised to see the bike return 50mpg tank after tank after tank.  It wasn't running as nicely at 10,000 feet as it does down here at 1,500 feet, but it didn't let me down!  Elevations varied from 5,000 feet to 14,122 feet on this ride

I put another big seal in the bevel box before heading to Colorado, but still have a drip.  I guess I'll need to open up the box and see if replacing the small seal will do the trick.  It only lost a few CCs over 1,400 miles of riding, so although it's dirty, the leak isn't severe.

Link to the 2015 CC1000 thread:  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74520.0

Link to the 2015 WG Western Adventure Thread: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74537.0

I like this bike so much, I'd almost like to have another that I could make into a standard.  Remove the fairing and add bar clamp and handlebars to the triple clamp, along with a standard round headlight.  I've seen it done a time, or two.  Standard ergos and 7/33 gearing would really widen the bike's capabilities.  I don't really need another twenty year old bike, though...  And this one will remain as-is.  I really like the way its set up right now.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:06:54 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

blakebird

« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
This has been a great read, Mike... I learned several things about the 1100 Sport I never knew.

I've always had a thing for the 1100 Sport, they just don't come up for sale often, and when they do condition is sometimes an issue.
Next weekend I'll be heading north to pick up my 4th Guzzi - an original owner '97 1100i with 5,770 original miles - with Staintunes.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
This has been a great read, Mike... I learned several things about the 1100 Sport I never knew.

I've always had a thing for the 1100 Sport, they just don't come up for sale often, and when they do condition is sometimes an issue.
Next weekend I'll be heading north to pick up my 4th Guzzi - an original owner '97 1100i with 5,770 original miles - with Staintunes.

Thanks!  And, glad you found a nice one!  I was wanting to buy a '97 when I got the leftover '96.  No real regrets, but the '97 does have nicer wheels, cush-drive, and the inverted forks.  If the efi is tuned right on the bike you're buying, it should be a blast. Don't get too hung up on trying to change the ergos.  There isn't much room to raise the bars.  Ride it a bit and you'll grow used to the seating position. 

Post up some pix and a story once you've got it home!   :thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »

blakebird

« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:39 PM »
Still on the original tires....I'll probably make that my first order of business

It was purchased new in '98, and some time in '99 it was being trailered with another bike somewhere in an enclosed trailer, when one of the tie-downs let go.
The Guzzi fell over onto his brother's bike and dinged the tank, fairing, gauges and a mirror - which he replaced right away.
The original parts are not in bad shape at all - I have pictures of the original pieces, as well as pictures of receipts for all the work done.
Those verify that the bike had 2,800 miles on it, and the picture showing 2,970 miles is recent - for a total of 5,770 miles.

Vasco DG

« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2015, 04:57:23 AM »
Dunno what's up with your box Mike. I think your idea of going through it is the best but as I said in the PM if the pinion isn't leaking? Leave that whole side alone.

The problem is either the inner seal or the pinion carrier where the big seal runs on it, (Assuming the big bearing hast got a problem but I think that wpuld be more obvious by now.)

Anyway if you think I can be any more help? Let me know.

Pete

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
Mike, you are the brain trust of the Sport 1100, and I have enjoyed your extensive thread. 

My Sport has a vent that PO drilled in the fill plug and brazed a  2 inch long 1/4 copper tube with a piece of clear plastic tube snaked up in the bodywork.  Would a similar mod help your minor leak?

Jay
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
Blakebird - I have two of these and a box or two of spares.  If you need anything,
Let me know.  I'm in Denver.

blakebird

« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »
Blakebird - I have two of these and a box or two of spares.  If you need anything,
Let me know.  I'm in Denver.

thanks, I appreciate it!

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
DXHall, happen to have a complete (or parts of) the air box for my carb Sport 1100?  The PO removed it and I am searching for a replacement.  The body and  slides on my Del's are worn and I want to install a new set of Keilin 41's.  Just want to do the jetting dance once! 

Jay
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »
I put another big seal in the bevel box before heading to Colorado, but still have a drip.  I guess I'll need to open up the box and see if replacing the small seal will do the trick.  It only lost a few CCs over 1,400 miles of riding, so although it's dirty, the leak isn't severe.

I had quite a time sealing mine up when new. After three factory seals (interior - axle) and still the weep-seep, I went to an independent seal/bearing house in San Diego and ended up with nearly the exact seal (maybe 1mm under internal?) but it was for an odd application; marine, fork lift... something.

I also found that while the contact surfaces were the same as the Guzzi seal in shape and positioning within the seal, that it sealed completely when I seated the seal at a different depth. I did this as I was suspicious of the smoothness of the interior contact on the diameter of the of the sealing surface.

Nearly 30,000 without a drip.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #311 on: September 21, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »

Awaiting some time this fall to go through the bevel box, but in the meantime, how 'bout a plug check ??

These are pix of the right-side plug.  1,500 miles of 6,000 to 14,000 feet elevation riding.  This plug was new for the trip to Colorado.

:popcorn:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #312 on: September 21, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
rich looking plugs on all my motorcycles.  Perhaps not that rich....but still, air cooled vehicle run rich.  Especially in lean air of the Rockies. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »
The years-old plug that was removed before the Colorado trip.

Tan on one side.  A little dirty on the other side.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #314 on: September 22, 2015, 10:00:47 AM »
I know guys that index sparkplugs when they install them.  Apparently if the electrode is open at the best angle to the valve openings you get better combustion.

I never got in to it.  I just replace the plugs when I do maintenance.

I'll bet one of the mechanical geniuses like Chuck or Pete can say "how to do it" or "BS" on this. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »

All good things must come to an end. 

Feeling ambivalent tonight after watching my first Guzzi, my Sport 1100, head down the road to its new home with Medic Andy in North Carolina.

Just over twenty-two years of fun and memories tied up in that old motorcycle.  I'll miss it, but glad it has a good home with a collector and enthusiast.

Maybe we should lobby Andy to start his own "Spine Frame Chronicles" thread !!!    :bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2019, 10:10:49 PM »
 Yeah , but that 1400 is calling  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2019, 11:37:40 PM »
That looked to be a very nice bike Mike.

Did Andy do a fly 'n ride?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2019, 05:05:42 AM »
That looked to be a very nice bike Mike.

Did Andy do a fly 'n ride?

He's hauling it home.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
Times change, nothing is forever.  I've had bikes I thought I'd never sell, but did.  Right now it's my 1200 Sport.

Your Nero was a favorite of mine. But motorcycle love can be fickle.

Mike

1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
Wow! This was a tough one, no?
Hard to believe she's gone, I know. Soon, second guessing will become your constant companion.
All the warts will be forgotten, all the aches and pains, and any shortcomings will be a distant memory.
You'll kick your own ass a thousand times over for selling her.
..But what a companion she's been! All those miles and all those sweet memories!
No regrets now and don't look back. Ever onward, ever upward!!
The road is still calling you Mr. Rocker! :bow:
 :bike-037:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here