Author Topic: *Thinning the Herd* Four bikes to two.  (Read 67007 times)

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: *Thinning the Herd* Four bikes to two.
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
I'm out of town till thurs. Can't wait to get home!!!!!
Dave.
I forgot to say a BIG thank you to mike for helping make this happen!!!!!
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
I forgot to say a BIG thank you to mike for helping make this happen!!!!!

Hey! Don't forget me..  ;D I was the original savior..  ;D :BEER: Poor thing was covered with dust and neglect.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
Yes, I appreciate both of you being good conseratores of a great bike.  Its getting tough finding unmolested original bikes.  Thanks Dave.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
The Shape of Things to Come...

A fellow could do much worse than having one of these in his garage.  Strange, but I think it's been March of 1998 since I only had one bike in the stable. 

It will give me some time to catch up on a few maintenance items and time to just enjoy the Sport 1100.

:bike

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »
A great bike, and your chronicles inspired my purchase. I had a lovely ride on mine yesterday.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
A great bike, and your chronicles inspired my purchase. I had a lovely ride on mine yesterday.

;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
Nah.  Nice bike, but not my style. 

I know you said not your style but the new version sure is neat.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/multistrada/index.do

I can appreciate your statement about getting the Sports maintenance issues etc. taken care of now that the others are gone. The only reason my Sport isn't back on the road is the Daytona purchase sucked me dry then last winters budget was monopolized by the 900SS. Often what starts out as a small project to get out of the way before working on the Sport grows into full blown tear downs etc.......and with Guzzi's and Ducati's those seem to be never ending.  ::)
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »

Well here it is, spring is 2/3 gone.  Still thinking on what to do about another bike.

No, I probably won't go with the Indian like I was teasing about in the "thinking about" thread.  Just too expensive.  Don't want to spend $20,000 + on a 2nd motorcycle (that isn't an MGS-01   ;) )

So this week I've been pondering a California 1400.  I really like the upcoming Eldorado.  Not sure about the seating, though.  And not sure about the price.  I'm not really into the Touring or the Audace, but maybe the Custom.

There seem to be some '13 and '14 unsold Cal 14 Customs sitting at dealers.  A few tweaks and I might be able to be happy with one:  Corbin seat, Mistral exhaust, Hepco + Becker C-Bow luggage.  Oh, and a Chet trailer hitch, of course, to pull my fridge trailer!  (Kinda the point of getting a 'big bike').

I'm guessing that there will be some good deals on those leftover Cal 14 Customs as the Eldorado and Audace hit the floors.  Anyone have any ideas what the Cal 14 Customs are actually selling for right now?  I know there's a $1500 incentive from Guzzi.  Are dealers dealing down from there on the leftovers?

I don't recall off-hand, are there any glaring technical differences between the '13, '14, and '15 California 1400 electronics or mechanics?  Any upgrades the factory has made.

:bike

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
 :pop
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »
Ahh, the new bike hots. Glad I don't get that any more..  ;D Well, maybe if they'd come out with a V12 LeMans..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »

.....There seem to be some '13 and '14 unsold Cal 14 Customs sitting at dealers.  A few tweaks and I might be able to be happy with one:  Corbin seat, Mistral exhaust, Hepco + Becker C-Bow luggage...... 

I'm guessing that there will be some good deals on those leftover Cal 14 Customs as the Eldorado and Audace hit the floors.  Anyone have any ideas what the Cal 14 Customs are actually selling for right now?  I know there's a $1500 incentive from Guzzi.  Are dealers dealing down from there on the leftovers ......?

All the dealers reading this are thinking "Dammit, another one of those bottom-feeders ....."   :D   On the other hand, selling a bike is better than not selling a bike ....  ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
All the dealers reading this are thinking "Dammit, another one of those bottom-feeders ....."   :D   On the other hand, selling a bike is better than not selling a bike ....  ;-T

Lannis

...and they're just sitting there. 

You gotta have a few bottom feeders.  After the top feeders buy, the leftovers have to go somewhere.

It's just a thought.  Not my first choice, but might be fun for awhile.  A black and carbon fiber Cal 14 Custom would be pretty cool.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
sent you a PM Rock.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »
There were several Cali14s at RPM.  I might go to see the Motus demo, and during all the hubbub, get a test ride on the Cali14 or one of its brothers.

I'm studying how to become a bottom feeder!  Getting damn expensive having to eat the difference of buying new and selling low.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
When I was considering a 1400T, RPM provided me the best quote. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »
We really liked that dealership, and they treated us very good.  They also sell KTMs, hmmm.

Just back from the back surgeon today (only x-ray and talk) and guess I am getting old, may be time to think of slowing down.  The dirt bike will go first, as much as I like it in Colorado with friends.

Pretty humbling to see all the folks in wheelchairs, walkers, canes and slings.  I'm still in the ibuprofen and exercise stage tho, so thankful for that.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »
We really liked that dealership, and they treated us very good.  They also sell KTMs, hmmm.

Just back from the back surgeon today (only x-ray and talk) and guess I am getting old, may be time to think of slowing down.  The dirt bike will go first, as much as I like it in Colorado with friends.

Pretty humbling to see all the folks in wheelchairs, walkers, canes and slings.  I'm still in the ibuprofen and exercise stage tho, so thankful for that.

Absolutely. Be thankful, and keep on truckin..  ;-T I'm not doing ibuprofen yet.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2015, 07:00:12 PM »
We really liked that dealership, and they treated us very good.  They also sell KTMs, hmmm.

Just back from the back surgeon today (only x-ray and talk) and guess I am getting old, may be time to think of slowing down.  The dirt bike will go first, as much as I like it in Colorado with friends.

Pretty humbling to see all the folks in wheelchairs, walkers, canes and slings.  I'm still in the ibuprofen and exercise stage tho, so thankful for that.
Well, I'm in sort of the same situation, though the MRI didn't show rotator cuff damage.  I see the sports doc tomorrow, and I think we'll be talking about (from memory) big head bicep muscle(s))  Lots of Aleve has kept pain to a minimum, but I still cannot lift arm straight out from my side more than 15-20 degrees .... then it just won't move any more.  Hopefully, it's some form of tendinitis that can be fixed with a walloping shot of cortisone.

Either way, I think the Griso may have to go, maybe even the beloved 1200 Sport.  The Griso riding position and sportier suspension is just a bit too much for me, and the Sport is quite a boat anchor to move in and out of the garage.  Hate to admit it, but maybe it's time to explore the upcoming V7 II.  Love the looks of the Racer, but ergo wise, probably not for me, if I'm trying to unload my arms and shoulders.  Maybe a Stone in olive drab or whatever Guzzi calls it.  I've generally not been too fired up over the small blocks, but a buddy of mine who owned a Breva 750 ran me a merry race, whether it was on the flats, but especially through the twisties.  That little bike would haul!  However, I will give the Triumph Tiger 800 (lower version with mag wheels) a try, also.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:49:47 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
NEW Eldorado maybe?

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
Kern16 ... was the new Eldo question to me?  I'm not attracted to cruisers, though Guzzi's approach to that platform has more appeal to me than most others.  Also, not prepared to put quite that much $$ into a new ride.  I do owe it to myself to take a C1400 out sometime for a test .... but, damn, that is one big machine!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
NEW Eldorado maybe?

Eldorado is showing MSRP of $15,990 on the MG USA website.  And, I'm kind of digging it.  Especially if the Corbin seat for the other Cal 14s would fit.

Cal 14 Custom $15,490 MSRP.  '14 and older bikes have $1,500 rebate and $500 parts voucher.  Plus the dealer might have some motivation to come down some more.  That's my thought, anyway.  If a person could buy a leftover Cal 14 Custom in the $12,500 neighborhood, it would leave some money for accessories vs. paying full pop for an Eldorado.

There are some things I like about the Eldo:  Fenders, Tail Light, wheels/tires, pinstriping.  I don't like the seat or the handlebars.  Cal Custom bars and a Corbin seat for a Cal 14 Custom/Touring (if it will fit) would fix those niggles.

There are some things I like about the Cal Custom:  handlebars, cast wheels, accessory interchangeability with the Cal 14 Touring.  I (really, really) don't like the tail lights or the rear fender.

Like I said, just random thoughts.  I'd like to see an Eldorado in person, and visit with a dealer about the OTD pricing on a leftover Custom.  I may have to get over to Tulsa soon...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »
Hey Rocker.......... don't think you will be disappointed, those Cali 14s are pretty nice asphalt eaters.
Let me know if it all works out.

Ciao.    8)

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
Kern16 ... was the new Eldo question to me?  I'm not attracted to cruisers, though Guzzi's approach to that platform has more appeal to me than most others.  Also, not prepared to put quite that much $$ into a new ride.  I do owe it to myself to take a C1400 out sometime for a test .... but, damn, that is one big machine!

I feel the same about the cruisers and still looking at the V7II also.  I will demo the big boys tho.  

I knew rocker59 would come with the poop on these bikes, that's why I was tagging along.   :bow

Talking about changing bikes this drastically is one thing, doing it is another, we will see.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:08:48 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
YES.....
sorry forgot to put your quote first.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #235 on: May 14, 2015, 06:42:01 AM »
Eldorado is showing MSRP of $15,990 on the MG USA website.  And, I'm kind of digging it.  Especially if the Corbin seat for the other Cal 14s would fit.

Cal 14 Custom $15,490 MSRP.  '14 and older bikes have $1,500 rebate and $500 parts voucher.  Plus the dealer might have some motivation to come down some more.  That's my thought, anyway.  If a person could buy a leftover Cal 14 Custom in the $12,500 neighborhood, it would leave some money for accessories vs. paying full pop for an Eldorado.

There are some things I like about the Eldo:  Fenders, Tail Light, wheels/tires, pinstriping.  I don't like the seat or the handlebars.  Cal Custom bars and a Corbin seat for a Cal 14 Custom/Touring (if it will fit) would fix those niggles.

There are some things I like about the Cal Custom:  handlebars, cast wheels, accessory interchangeability with the Cal 14 Touring.  I (really, really) don't like the tail lights or the rear fender.

Like I said, just random thoughts.  I'd like to see an Eldorado in person, and visit with a dealer about the OTD pricing on a leftover Custom.  I may have to get over to Tulsa soon...

I've made the mistake of buying the cheaper bike I kinda wanted (shopping with my head) over the more expensive one that I actually wanted (shopping with my heart) before....

I feel the same way as you about the differences between the Custom and Eldo.... and I think I'd buy the Eldo and make what changes I wanted over time.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here