Author Topic: Anyone want to try our 8V Norge map?  (Read 74770 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Re: Anyone want to try our 8V Norge map?
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »
Would this work for a Stelvio? After I get it home I'll give it a go.

Thanks for sharing.  :BEER:

I must have a special Stelvio NTX or something.  I hit 131 (gps indicated) on my fully bagged NTX with the stock mapping.  It appeared to still want to keep pulling too.  Maybe the earth and moon were perfectly aligned, and coupled with a nice tail wind, but it did it pretty quick.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Vasco DG

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
As we keep saying Luap none of the work Mark is doing is aimed at making the bike more powerful or faster. Its about rideability, enjoyment and economy. People who want to BS about how fast and powerful their bikes are can explore other avenues. We're not interested.

FWIW I've hit the rev limiter in top on my Griso a couple of times at an indicated 247kph. It really isn't a pleasant experience, it isn't even fun. Giving it the berries coming out of a turn at 5,500 in second and having the front end get some air is much more fun! Even that though is something best avoided on a great heavy munter like a Griso! After all any energy being used to lift its great flabbiness up isn't being used to make it go forwards!

Pete

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:46 PM »
Beetle sent me a zipped file and I appreciate it. But is was a zipped file of a bin file.  I do not know enough about computers to know how to get around why my computer will not open a BIN file.  I did a stupid thing and downloaded a program (suppposed to read BIN files)that has again infected both my email Interent Explorer account and my Mozilla Firefox browser.  I was able to eliminate much of the garbage but am still receiving pop ups and redirects.  Malwarebytes is on it but they say 4-5 days to get a case and personal support.

From what I understand a bin file is the digital equivalent of a CD or DVD and that makes sense.  I do not know if my computer is missing an important software program that I should have and do not know where to safely acquire the proper software to open a bin file.  I would like to open the map and place a copy of it on a thumb drive along with my stock map. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »
Waltr, no need to open the bin file with anything other than the IAWWriter program. The bin file is the map.

Unzip it somewhere, start the writer program and browse to the bin file.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 10:07:07 PM »

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2014, 04:34:44 AM »
I unzipped the map and moved it to my decktop.  Ran the writer program and under and when I click on desktop or any other item nothing happens. No response when selecting anything.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2014, 04:57:15 AM »
Have you followed the directions in my howto? CLICKY

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2014, 05:08:57 AM »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2014, 06:58:34 AM »
As we keep saying Luap none of the work Mark is doing is aimed at making the bike more powerful or faster. Its about rideability, enjoyment and economy. People who want to BS about how fast and powerful their bikes are can explore other avenues. We're not interested.

FWIW I've hit the rev limiter in top on my Griso a couple of times at an indicated 247kph. It really isn't a pleasant experience, it isn't even fun. Giving it the berries coming out of a turn at 5,500 in second and having the front end get some air is much more fun! Even that though is something best avoided on a great heavy munter like a Griso! After all any energy being used to lift its great flabbiness up isn't being used to make it go forwards!

Pete

Oh, now I understand.  Sorry, I misread it.  I do wish mine was a little smoother from 2K RPM though. ;-T
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2014, 07:55:49 AM »
Oh, now I understand.  Sorry, I misread it.  I do wish mine was a little smoother from 2K RPM though. ;-T

Well Luap, thats what the mappings could do. did you try one of mark's? 
Paul

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
Mark that is a great tutorial. As I expected both reader and writer need to be connected to bike to operate.  Thanks. I especially appreciate the CO trim details and tying that to idle smoothness, kinda like setting idle air bleed on a carb. Are results pretty quick or do need to run awhile?

www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
Waltr, usually with in a few seconds of clicking 'Finish', maybe about 20 seconds before it settles down. Seems to be different for each bike.

Vasco DG

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »

There's a bloke in Brisbane who is very keen to bring his 2O2 Stelvio down to Mark so he can use it as a test mule for a couple of weeks. Once that has been done there is every chance he will have something that will effectively address this and other issues. Once that's done we should be able to flick you a map to try. Who around you has cables? If nobody I suggest you get a set of your own.

Pete

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2014, 03:52:59 AM »
An update on the Norge 8V map.
As I told before, I was extremely happy with the way the Norge behaved after putting Mark’s map. Grunt from low end to redline, no more snapping on partial load (I hope you get my terrible English), no more need to use the clutch at roundabouts or slow turns – I suppose you know what I mean.
My dealer rode the bike and said: wow, that’s a different bike, too bad MG cannot do that.
The one thing that slightly kept bothering me, was the hanging at 2000 rpm before very slowly returning to idle (clutch out or in).
(Btw, I searched the net and discovered that MG Nederland has covered the subject of hanging at 2000 rpm rather extensively, so I was not the only one with that problem. Which could mean that the problem had nothing to do with the new map)
Anyway, my friend who did the tuning and installed the map, called me back in.
First thing, he reinstalled the previous ‘official’ mg map (the latest), but with lambda’s off and CO on 0. The bike did not run as smooth as with Mark’s map, lost a lot of it’s grunt, more popping at deceleration, weaker throttle respons.  And most important, rpm kept hanging at 2000 rpm as well?! The plus was it slightly ran better at a constant 3000 rpm, with almost no vibrations.  (Mark’s map gave a bit more vibes)
So back the garage.
Now Mark’s map with CO on 0 instead of previously +10.
Not good, erratic idle with the risk of stalling at a stop.
Back to the garage.
Same, but CO at +5.
And now I have a setting that looks like a very satisfying compromise between before and after.
Hanging around 2000 rpm is a lot less, a slight hesitation around 1500 rpm but overall ok and nice grunt throughout rpm range.
My quick conclusion (I know nothing about mechanics whatsoever), is that fuell mixture is a critical factor.  And the reason of the hanging rpm's remains unanswered, which was also the conclusion of the Dutch board, if I read well.
Paul, perhaps you could chime in?
I had to go home, so I could not make enough km’s for a full report, but I’ll keep you posted if interested.
If this comment sounds like rubbish to you wizards, I’ll shut my mouth.
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:29 AM »
Just thinking loud:
I have the hanging at 2k/1.8k since I use Marks map that has a griso 803 base map. When I goto nutral the idle drops to 1200. So maybe the idle speed regulation is only active in Nutral gear? When the mixture is a little to lean with closed throttle, in nutral the idle regulation makes it richer to drop the rpm. So adding a bit fuel at 4.6-4.8 tps, from 2200 to 1000rpm might solve it.  

I just compared original and modded map, and see that in that range it's much leaner due to taking fuel away to solve the popping. So it could be the explanation.
But the thing was first happening with the 1200 sport/breva maps, that were not modified.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:31:07 AM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
Anyone want to try our 8V Norge map?
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
Beetle, first off many many thanks for this. This is a very nice upgrade for the Norge.

I have a related question: my exhaust collector box sounds to be falling apart....if I replace it with Todd's y pipe, would that mess up the fueling? I've no idea how much resistance to flow the collector contributes.

And again: thanks!
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

beetle

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 02:21:04 AM »
if I replace it with Todd's y pipe, would that mess up the fueling?

I don't think so. I've not seen inside the collector, but I presume it is baffled instead of being just a big empty box. I can compensate for any noticable changes by modifying the map if you are able to give me specifics of what the difference is, such as vibration, flat spots etc at the affected rpm's.

BTW, it's my pleasure to make your Guzzi more enjoyable.

beetle

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 02:30:15 AM »
frans, keep the feedback coming. This 2000 rpm hang is interesting. We did not get it on our test bike, but if there is anything I can do to fix it with the map, I will certainly try.

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
We have a lot of hills here, I have one road I ride that is a steep uphill with lots of tight turns, first and second gear work. On really tight turns, I used to have to fan the clutch so as not to stumble through the turn. Not anymore, the power delivery is so smooth even at lower revs. Fantastic stuff.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
I just wanted to get back and let everyone know that when I topped off the tank before a ride today I got a real world 45MPG.  I will say that I tend to ride the bike differently with this map.  I shift a little earlier and tend to be in a taller gear.  The stock map tended to want to be wrung out a little more, either way the mileage is pretty much the same as stock. If I want to put on the steam the bike goes like snot from 3300 RPM on up. Really pulls like a freight train.
It feels a little soft around 3K though.  If I had to say I would say it feels a little rich, all this is with smaller throttle openings. Riding the PA backroad two lanes I find myself often at 40-60MPH.  Get the bike on the highway and start to open her up and this all goes away.  Can anyone tell me if Fuel Trim could have any effect on this part throttle response? My idle is good and stalling is never an issue.  I believe I understand what some have described as idle hanging at a higher RPM but since this only happens pulling up to a stop and in the short time it takes to stop idle is back to 1200.

I have one other FI related question.  As you run with a specific map does the bike adapt without the O2 sensors. I was wondering if this is why I am getting better and better milage or is it me that is adapting?
Thanks,
Walt
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »
Two other general questions regarding guzzidiag:
Under 'preferences' for my 2012 US Norge with roller tappets should I select 1200GT or 1200GTL?  I have been running with GTL

Whenever I select CO Trim and go back to make a change the previous value is never indicated except one time when I went back it was listed at -4.
I assume you set the value and then press FINISH.   Also if I go back to my Measurements screen from CO Trim everything is locked up and does not read until I disconnect and re-connect.  One time going from CO TRIM to measurement the engine temp read 1153 C.  Now that is hot.

I would like to ad that I always disconnect at the end of a session and then press quit.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
It's just you adapting. The O2 sensors are off, so there is no trimming at all.

With regard to CO trim, you must click finish to save the value.

I hope to get hold of the test bike again to tidy up any small issues.

Vasco DG

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
Tony will probably be up for that Mark.

Pete

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:05 AM »
It's just you adapting. The O2 sensors are off, so there is no trimming at all.

With regard to CO trim, you must click finish to save the value.

I hope to get hold of the test bike again to tidy up any small issues.

And small issues it is.  Read back my enthousiastic reports on this thread.  Apart from the little issue of a bit 'lazy' idle (slow to return), nothing but plusses. Bike is pulling like a freight train throughout the rpm range and with better mileage.

Beetle, Paul and all guzzidiag developers, thank you very much (and too bad MG does not supply an adequate solution themselves).
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »
Running highway at 60 to 90 mph and the wind to my back I got 48 MPG on a non stop 147 mile ride.  Seems to do better mpg staying around 75-80 mph.  This was the sweet spot with the stock map also.  Coming back into the wind I got 42 mpg.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:03:51 PM by Waltr »
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline lomax

• Gosling
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »
Subscribed for when a 2012 Stelvio map comes out. I have mine running fine but it could always be better.  ;-T

Marc
84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT  https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Vasco DG

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:39 PM »
All the 8V Nrges are the same. If you want the map? PM me yer address. Mark is in Japan and is probably busy, I can flick it to you easy.

Read the guzzidiag instruction thread, follow the dots.

Pete

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2014, 01:14:47 AM »
Subscribed for when a 2012 Stelvio map comes out. I have mine running fine but it could always be better.  ;-T

Marc

Me too. Just swapped my Breva 1100 for a 2012 Standard Stelvio. Very nice. Runs well, but everything helps.
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Far star

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
I have read all of this thread and I am tempted. My Norge seems to be behaving well, 7000 kms on a new 2012. Smooth throttle good idle. Only thing I have noticed is popping on decel. Milage seems to be a consistent 40 mpg. Don't know the top end, have once hit 195 km/h good enough for me. The one important question, to me, is warranty. I realize the original map can be saved and re loaded, but, can this be detected? If this were done, new map installed then erased and original reloaded, anyone know of a time stamp or other evidence of the owner messing with the ecu map? Has anyone had problems with Piaggio honoring warranty after some mapping? Not that I'm expecting to need warranty...

Offline ItsForrest

• Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
  • Hatchling
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »
In the U.S. warranty cannot be denied because of modifications unless it can be proven that the modifications caused the problem.
The urge to buy terrorizes!

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
Anyone want to try our 8V Norge map?
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Mine still pops on decel after remapping. I like the sound. And what he said about warranty.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here