Author Topic: Opinions on a Jackal  (Read 17474 times)

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
Re: Opinions on a Jackal
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
I looked around to see what my bike was worth, and the impression I got was that $2000 would be fair.

As for opinions of the bike:

1. The side covers are garbage. Expect them to fall off, and fiberglass replacements (if available) will run $180 unpainted.

2. The chrome falls off and rusts.

3. Getting the bike moving from a dead stop is not pleasant because first gear is so high. I have to rev mine up and let the clutch out gradually.

4. Someone here compared the seat to sitting on a log. That's the best description I've seen. After an hour, you will need to get off. I got a quote on redoing mine, and it was over $400 before shipping.

5. The gas cap may get stuck because the plastic swells.

6. Changing the oil is a nightmare unless you have a Harper Outsider. If you buy an Outsider, double-check the length of the bolts they send you with it, because sometimes they send the wrong ones, and they will tear threads out of your engine. The Outsider will not work well with the original crossover, so you will need an H-pipe to go with it.

7. The rear shocks are horrible, so you will want to replace them.

8. Shifting is unbelievable. You will get false neutrals all the time if you don't stomp on it.

Fun bike, though. Great sound. It has a wide torque band (at least compared to my other bike), so it's easy to fall into a habit of shifting too early, but it seems to ride best when you wind it up pretty good.

Did you hear this at the Honda dealer?

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:21 PM »
No.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »
So, to the OP, you've had considerable and very sage input from not only long term Guzzisti, but Jackal riders.  We are frequently chatty, but very focused on helping one another....are you still shopping this over priced Guzzi?  If so we'll help you manage pricing expectations and the bike itself.....otherwis e paysome homage and I will encourage you to keep shopping Guzzis.  I have much specific advice on Jackals after 6 Years and thousands of reliable miles.......

Just sayin'

Lee
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
I was planning on contacting the owner this weekend.  If listing is incorrect and price isn't negotiable, I'll pass on this one. Am amazed at response to a non-owners basic question.  Figured one or 2 responses but information gleaned has been very useful and entertaining.  Like I said in first post I'm not a cruiser type, but I think I've learned I can be happy with about any Guzzi.  The only one I've ever ridden was a carbuerated  Daytona Sport years ago.  When I let out the clutch and torqued away I knew I was on a motor made for me.  An hour and a half later when I came to the first stop sign I couldn't feel my hands.  Couldn't pull in the clutch or the front brake. That long gas tank and low bars were a killer but new I had to pull the trigger on one someday.  May not be today but by spring I'll make a move.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »

Online scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
 :bike
Did you hear this at the Honda dealer?

That sums up my experiences.  Was my first bike (still own it) can't find myself selling it. 

1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 12:14:17 AM »

My two cents, based on Jackal ownership since 2002:

I looked around to see what my bike was worth, and the impression I got was that $2000 would be fair.

1. The side covers are garbage. Expect them to fall off, and fiberglass replacements (if available) will run $180 unpainted.

Original side covers are still doing fine after 15 years.

Have not experienced this.

3. Getting the bike moving from a dead stop is not pleasant because first gear is so high. I have to rev mine up and let the clutch out gradually.

4. Someone here compared the seat to sitting on a log. That's the best description I've seen. After an hour, you will need to get off. I got a quote on redoing mine, and it was over $400 before shipping.

Stock seat is, indeed, not very good. I had mine re-shaped to be flatter and higher. I forget the cost, but it was considerably less than $400.00. Of course, it was a dozen+ years ago.

I'd be surprised if there are many Guzzis of that era that haven't had this fixed by now. Anyhow, its been well addressed on this forum and elsewhere. Repair involves dis-assembling the cap and filing down the offending part in a few key spots. Takes a bit of time, but not difficult and costs zero dollars.

6. Changing the oil is a nightmare unless you have a Harper Outsider. If you buy an Outsider, double-check the length of the bolts they send you with it, because sometimes they send the wrong ones, and they will tear threads out of your engine. The Outsider will not work well with the original crossover, so you will need an H-pipe to go with it.

Pan needs to be dropped every 2nd or 3rd change for filter replacement. Not difficult, just takes a while because there are a lot of bolts holding that pan in place. The only remotely tricky part is making sure ALL the bolts have been loosened off. Oil changes not requiring filter replacement are super easy.

Not horrible in my experience, but just OK. If original, they're pushing 14-15 years old, probably should be replaced anyway. I put YSS shocks on mine. Very happy with them.

8. Shifting is unbelievable. You will get false neutrals all the time if you don't stomp on it.

Hasn't been a problem. There are some linkage adjustments that can improve shift quality. (Also covered elsewhere on this site.)

Fun bike, though. Great sound. It has a wide torque band (at least compared to my other bike), so it's easy to fall into a habit of shifting too early, but it seems to ride best when you wind it up pretty good.

Agreed.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:49 AM »
 :+1 on too much for the price.  Rev it.  The engine likes rpm's.  Compare it to a Sportster.  Seats horrible but if you take a break every hour.  Shouldn't be a problem.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Joe A.

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 07:56:42 AM »

Stock seat is, indeed, not very good. I had mine re-shaped to be flatter and higher. I forget the cost, but it was considerably less than $400.00. Of course, it was a dozen+ years ago.

I'd be surprised if there are many Guzzis of that era that haven't had this fixed by now. Anyhow, its been well addressed on this forum and elsewhere. Repair involves dis-assembling the cap and filing down the offending part in a few key spots. Takes a bit of time, but not difficult and costs zero dollars.

Pan needs to be dropped every 2nd or 3rd change for filter replacement. Not difficult, just takes a while because there are a lot of bolts holding that pan in place. The only remotely tricky part is making sure ALL the bolts have been loosened off. Oil changes not requiring filter replacement are super easy.

Not horrible in my experience, but just OK. If original, they're pushing 14-15 years old, probably should be replaced anyway. I put YSS shocks on mine. Very happy with them.

Hasn't been a problem. There are some linkage adjustments that can improve shift quality. (Also covered elsewhere on this site.)

Agreed.

Posted on: January 28, 2015, 08:58:08 PM
 Posted by: scra99tch

VEry objective and accurate response, at least my experience is the same. With about 37k on the clock it just seems to get better! Check some of the plumbing, after a decade or so you will probably find some issues. I'm about to change the intake rubbers on mine. A corbin seat bought from someone here was a nice improvement, but truth be told my calloused a$$ didn't really bother me much with th estock seat. I had the TPS changed last year at 36k. Other than that, basic maint.

for $2500 to $3500 bucks, I don't know where you can find such a rewarding, unique motorcycle. Like someone else said, for another g-whiz or so you can find a nice EV with impressive upgrades i.e tubless wheels, adj. suspension, etc.

good luck with your search!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:57:41 AM by Joe A. »

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

That's good. But the side cover issue is well known, to the point where MG Classics makes and sells fiberglass replacements. Unless they've stopped, in which case, Harper's charges $114.29 for each one, without decals. Yes, $114.29, for a thin piece of plastic which probably cost a dollar to make. A $3 plastic dog dish from Pet Supermarket is a higher quality product. Literally. As far as I know, Harper's doesn't screw people, so their price must reflect an insane wholesale price.

RE chrome falling off/rusting through:

I have. Maybe this prospective buyer will, too.

RE having to keep revs up to get the bike moving:

Have not experienced this

I have. As others have noted, it's not made to take off from low RPMS.

RE the hard seat:

Stock seat is, indeed, not very good. I had mine re-shaped to be flatter and higher. I forget the cost, but it was considerably less than $400.00

From Rich's Custom seats, earlier this month: "Thank you for your email.  Sorry to hear of your troubles.  We can help you out and custom build your previously altered seat.  It sounds like you just need a solo fitting. Cost for a basic solo fitting runs $450."

Maybe someone else will do it cheaper. A referral would be helpful.

RE laborious oil changes:

Pan needs to be dropped every 2nd or 3rd change for filter replacement. Not difficult, just takes a while because there are a lot of bolts holding that pan in place.

On other bikes, it takes 10 minutes from start to finish. This guy may want to know that he has to take off a whole bunch of Allen screws, remove the pan, find a place to put it, avoid dropping it in the catch basin...

With the Outsider...10 minutes from start to finish. IF you have the right H-pipe and exhausts.

RE the Sachs shocks, which absorb almost no shock:

Not horrible in my experience, but just OK.

Compared to other bikes, it's almost like riding a rigid. The impact from a pothole goes straight into your tailbone. If that's "just OK," then the shocks are just OK. Well-known issue discussed frequently. The hard seat magnifies the impact.

RE shifting problems:

Well known issue discussed frequently here and elsewhere. Glad you haven't dealt with it. This guy probably will.

Forgot to point this out: parts are expensive. The side covers aren't the only pricey items. And you might have a hard time finding anyone who has experience working on these things.

My feeling: better to tell people about the possible problems than to make them think these bikes are trouble-free. I like the bike, but there is no way I would recommend Moto Guzzi to anyone else without warning them about the down side.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
Like it.  Don't like it.  It's a motorcycle and comes with maintenance issues.  Any motorcycle has maintenance issues. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Bill Hagan

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
I agree with pastahog on the merits of ensuring that we are candid with prospective buyers about the foibles of our charming but imperfect (and what motorcycle isn't?) machines.

That said, I have to disagree with several of his calls.  Obviously his and YMMV, but I just have had no significant issues with my EV after the original first few miles.  

As for the ones that pasta hog specified:

* Side covers. Mine are just fine, tho that may be because of the well-known higher quality of the HDM EV’s.  :D

* Rust.  I have none of any kind visible; I did replace a few “questionable” fasteners along the way with SS.

* The “rev” concern. I cannot fathom this, and wonder if it’s a one-off issue to PH’s Jackal.

* Oil change challenges.  Well, I like that “issue,” as it makes me feel I am actually accomplishing something, and Kathi hasn’t noticed (yet) that it takes me all day to change the oil in winter, but only about 30 minutes in the spring.   :wife:  8)

* Shocks.  The EV’s stock shocks were, IMO, quite decent, tho they only lasted to c.25K; went to a Progressive (and worthless) set-up; now have a YSS set, which is just fine 60K+ miles later.  It is the rare Guzzista who, IME, won’t tweak the suspension and replace shocks at least once.

* Saddle.  I love the stock saddle on the 98 EV.  Got another when the original stuffing got tired.  Yes, I know: the only nerves of steel I have I are in my bottom.   ;D

* Shifting.  I have to agree that Rubio Goldbergamo designed that shifting linkage set-up, which amplifies the … erm … not quite snick-snick transmission.  But, IMO, it’s all a matter of getting used to it, and it sure does make the Norge and Griso seem like Alex Marquez’s MotoGP Honda.   ;)

* Parts are expensive. Gotta agree with that, but most parts for most motorcycles are.  Besides, there are kids driving in cages now who were in their moms’ wombs when Jackals were in showrooms.  Tontis and many our beloved beasts are — well, as are some of us — virtually vintage machines now.  That will almost always mean a premium price, especially for a brown egg of a motorcycle marque.

* Experienced wrenches.  Ditto, above, but even with other brands having dealers seemingly everywhere, parts availability and expertise on decade-plus models are not givens even for Yamakawsukidas.

Again, lest the foregoing seem to indicate otherwise, I agree with PH that it is "better to tell people about the possible problems than to make them think these bikes are trouble-free.”  And, I, too, "like the bike, but there is no way I would recommend Moto Guzzi to anyone else without warning them about the down side.

But, I’d still recommend a Guzzi to anyone who, after understanding all of that, still succumbed to the lust that still stirs most of us.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:31:46 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
OP asked for opinions, and Pasta Hog has his experience, so you can't fault him for sharing them/it. But it's VERY different than mine. The only items from his outline that resonate with me are the stock seat certainly sucks( fortunately mine also came with a Rich Maund Seat, which is AWESOME, but I really liked the look of the stock seat, and hoped my skinny a** wouldn't have an issue, 150 miles in, I wanted to be standing.), and I do occasionally have to look for neutral. That's diminished rapidly as I put miles on the bike. I'm an urban driver, as well, so I'm really putting the shift through a workout.

15 years in, the overall finish of the bike is amazing, stock plastic covers are there (although I'm not a fan of the "jackal" graphic) Chrome is mirror like, no rust whatsoever (and I'm in the great lakes area, have ridden in snow with this winter).

So suffice to say, Jackal owners have a wide range of experiences with their bikes, and mine really aren't consistent with PH's.

edit to add: I have lost a bit of the powder coating off of the forks and the valve covers

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:48:53 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
I suspect what we see is both a variance in perspective and differences in conditions, and perhaps factory quality.

I LOVED my Jackal. It was the bike I kept in the fleet longer than any other in my life.

But I also hated it, cause every time I turned around something else was broken or needed attention.

RUST (now I rode year round and they put nasty stuff on our roads in winter) was BAD on mine. The rear fender rusted clean through by year 5 (I mean like poke my finger through the hole). The chrome flaked off the wheels and they started rusting. I painted and powdercoated a LOT of stuff.

SHOCKS - sucked and were sacked (leaking) by 7k miles. Of course that was easily fixed and the chassis accepted all sorts of shocks. The better the shock, the better the ride.

SHIFTING - you gotta shift like you mean it. And there is a small linkage change that helps to. No big deal.

RPMs - you gotta throttle like you mean it. No big deal.

PARTS - were generally no more expensive than any other brand. And generally readily available. No complaints.

OIL CHANGE - is f'n annoyingly retarded, there's no reason it should be such a relative PIA.

And there were a lot of cheap ancillary parts that died too soon including the starter, regulator, ignition switch, tail light housing, turn signal stalks, electric petcock, etc.

And ya know what, I don't regret a moment of owning it. Like the V7, it was a throwback to a more simple mechanical bike that was fun to ride and easy to work on.

The motor, drive line, and frame were like anvils and would probably last a lifetime.

Always got me home too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 07:25:20 AM »
I've been playing phone tag with the owner.  Original listing stated he was selling because of daughter's surgery.  Owner left me a message on my answering machine that he tried to contact me but it was late and he was in the ER.  I got the feeling he has more going on than just selling a bike.  I texted him back that I was in no hurry and to contact me whenever.  Gave me time to do some more research found a similar thread on Jackal pricing from a year ago.  Very informative and amazingly consistent info.  Anyway I'll report back after owner contacts me.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »

And ya know what, I don't regret a moment of owning it. Like the V7, it was a throwback to a more simple mechanical bike that was fun to ride and easy to work on.

The motor, drive line, and frame were like anvils and would probably last a lifetime.

Always got me home too.

I bought Kev's Jackal a few years ago. Yes, it took me a little time to adjust to the clunky transmission, and yes, changing the oil/filter was a royal pain-in-the-ass, and yes, minor problems with the bike continued to pop up. However, I really started to bond with the bike. I loved it's simplicity; even a bozo like me could fix/adjust about anything on the bike. For a cruiser it handled incredibly well. I loved the feel of the motor. I was planning to replace stock seat; it was like sitting on a plank. With a good seat, it would have been fine for touring. Unfortunately, it was totaled when a distracted driver rear-ended me.

In the not-too-distant future, I will likely try to purchase another.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Opinions on a Jackal
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 08:13:40 AM »
I bought Kev's Jackal a few years ago. Yes, it took me a little time to adjust to the clunky transmission, and yes, changing the oil/filter was a royal pain-in-the-ass, and yes, minor problems with the bike continued to pop up. However, I really started to bond with the bike. I loved it's simplicity; even a bozo like me could fix/adjust about anything on the bike. For a cruiser it handled incredibly well. I loved the feel of the motor. I was planning to replace stock seat; it was like sitting on a plank. With a good seat, it would have been fine for touring. Unfortunately, it was totaled when a distracted driver rear-ended me.

In the not-too-distant future, I will likely try to purchase another.

Jon
I'm glad you liked it. There was a certain charm to it. I occasionally consider another...

I still think you shoulda bought the Buell though. ::)
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here